9 Users
200 Likes
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112
Topic starter  

Anyone old enough to remember this project? It is actually over a year since I did any work on this guitar, having stopped to think about how to shape the sides to take the pliaged soundboard. The shape for the sides given on the plans left just too big a gap where the pliage is and it really wasn't going to happen even with some pretty big clamps. What I eventually decided to do was to shape the front of the rim to the same spherical form as the back of the other guitars I've made ie R4800, and this has seemed to work pretty well. I did have to sand a bit of angle on to the outside of the rim but it certainly made clamping the pliage area much easier and the resulting shape looks very good.

I did have to glue a little fillet on to the neck block afterwards as this angle had skewed a little probably caused by being left sitting around for year before gluing the soundboard. Anyway it's now very close to square to the centreline and well with tweeking distance when I come to fit the neck.

The other thing I had to do was cut the sound hole so it was time for another little vacuum jig. I laser cut 4mm acrylic and then drilled a 3mm hole in the edge into which I superglued the business end of a 3mm copper pop rivet and then I filed the head off to leave a short stub of copper tube just long enough to push a bit of 4mm pneumatic tubing onto. Soft sealing foam was then run around the underside to for the vacuum area and a hole drilled through to meet up with the one from the side to give an air path. The additional bits of foam in the corners are just to spread the load and to prevent too much distortion of the soundboard whilst the hole is being machined. The centre piece that had been cut out of the template was used to mark the exact position and then the squeeky pants moment! It all went fine and, whilst possibly not absolutely in the centre, by the time the hole was rounded off slightly it is impossible to tell.

The tiny sound hole 54mm x 70mm has also meant that I had to sort my labelling out as it really has to be on the back before the back is glued on. I have also left my message for future generations!! Now for the neck!!

Cheers

Darren

gfx7EICJSR+3mlQeMu3aeg
6XXwbjDdSLOFpKA7FGFRKA
D6xb2LZOT4yvgUg53oV%6w
c+AuHpFEQfKeOHzJaKh4wA
xRhcW3UiRYaKYx9JYXxkqA
DkrlKOtkRFKK4MBNI3yisQ
i%qyIk0ZS9ScEPSVKqcthg
KRnzGRFXSm2aRp9yb2joMw
qGcMOATfSkaTJB1+p7gMXg
GnmQSDn%RYaVSfcAUOAmXA
9Cj8ERgmTr2MmIVWiP3FRg
ES2JD8K%TKG+Lep6wRPcRA
buN%32lsSEyst+PPFI+H5g
7SOjOZlLS2GElZhTlqyO5w
e6FECTI1Rb2JBouF5hVWvQ
8Rw7f%PVSdm41Lgi8mA0uw
VmJh%epKQt66wC50WD2S0A
Ohh7GpFZS7W5bxt0cfpf%A
Ru9B7ZLET7yhFa4W++rLeQ
cRPoKJRMT4yA+Qq4RXmITg

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 7 people reacted
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

That’s all looking very good!

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Amazing work - When we made ours I think we did the same thing (use a radius dish like we do on the back) - it was a few years ago! The soundboard should be flexible enough to conform to the shape.

Measure twice, cut once...

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thanks guys!

I have often thought that the tiny sound hole on the petite bouche was a bit of a 'FU!' to Mario Maccaferri who had fallen out with, and ended his association with, the Selmer Company by this time, given the huge D sound hole of his original grande bouche models.

I have been having slight palpitations thinking about the neck angle and bridge height on this guitar but I read last night, in the F. Charles bible of all things Selmer/Maccaferri, that the guitars were supplied with 7 different heights of bridge to allow for playing preferences and variations in the neck. I've calmed down considerably now, although I don't fancy making a full set of 7! Not sure how these were originally made so I might just buy a pre-made one so that I can work out how it might be machined.

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Wow - thats really nice.

I am always in awe of people who make acoustics.Β  To my mind, that's *proper* woodworking skill.Β  The accuracy and tiny tolerances that you have to work to ... that's a different skill set.

Β 

(As I've often heard Mark say - anyone can make an electric guitar!!)

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Boo, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Hi TV, Thanks for the appreciation and I can confirm that they sure as hell have a lot more bits!!!Β 

Just to show that I can still make dust by hand without the aid of anything CNC I decided to carve the neck of the petite bouche manually! I even dispensed with the profile templates and just hacked away until it felt and looked right. I still have a bit of shaping to complete but I think this is best left until the fretboard is attached. The question is whether I cut the fret slots by hand or spend a couple of days putting together my little fret slot cutting circular saw?

Cheers

Darren

75486E7F E8A4 4D00 82DA A1774662CBCF
17566679 06F2 4687 960E FD131F3FAB21
85947AF0 A0B3 4714 AAF0 248BDFB640F9
E8660A69 859C 40F1 A6B5 B8F39AFDBDFA
13F7FB59 E211 4DFD 89E0 65448989B479
92FE66A5 13DD 4130 AA7C FAFABF1D43A6
087F851B D00B 4B65 85AF 4F61AE2352C8

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I have been looking at the shape of the floating bridge for my Maccaferri and it really lends itself to being made in two halves (split lengthways viewed from the front) and then bonded together. I am pretty confident that the bond would end up being stronger than the wood so is there any significant reason not to do this? Apart from anything else I have loads of bits of Rio Rosewood just the right size and I can’t think of any easy way to machine the void on the underside if I try to make them in one piece. Thoughts anyone?

9382C6C0 9258 491D 8154 BCA95FD51C9C
FA2D4DCF A10F 4AEF A4DA 665B73B86ABB

ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

Good looking guitar Darren!

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

@darrenking Most modern bridges I have seen that are of this style are not hollowed out like the one in the drawing. You could just skip it and leave it solid. If you make it from two separate pieces it should also work fine - only one way to find out!!

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thanks Mark,

Watch this space!

Darren

Β 

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

The first stage of machining has been completed and the two halves glued together. It takes about 15 minutes to machine each half and the finished pieces have 15mm extensions on either end which provides the location hole for the registration pins. I stuck self adhesive veneer tape on the inner surface of the hollowed out section to aid removal of glue squeeze out. I have made a few out of Rio rosewood and one out of bubinga and I will probably make a few different heights. The next stage is hold them down at either end and machine the diagonal radiused scoops on either side. I think the programming for this should be fairly straight forward so hopefully by the weekend I should have some finished examples.

yskh7pyBQY62GOYcsUqhyw
pJtNBSx0Q1SfhaXiWW1iwQ
FeEL0go4SWqudlImN8weZA
8CGdGd%ATu226ZsO2a5jMw
rVdxjzpzShCulJADTARN+A
WdpNFq8%SN6DoC4Gy1NmkQ
hQjsUHzpTqqrMnfGQ6dlKg
x6FbJ0M4SAWT5Mb9zMUKYA
Ebyou%+iSJe5ljq12EJ8fw
uNm%Cu5cRDeIlYc0a0zB8g

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Brilliant !

Β 

The next stage is hold them down at either end and machine the diagonal radiused scoops on either side. I think the programming for this should be fairly straight forward so hopefully by the weekend I should have some finished examples.

Can't wait to see 'em!

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I have ended up shaping the first bridge by hand (small plane and then curved scraper) and, having studied the shape the cnc machining may be more complex than I at first imaged given that it seems to have a twist from one side of the bridge to the other. There will therefore be a thought time-out before I tackle this process. In the meantime I have the same number of bridges as almost finished guitars so I can just press on with routing out for, and fitting, the binding and then getting it ready for its first coat of lacquer. Roll on the weekend!

m11cI2QRTJ6diiFb65z2zg
XdFcuRjwQJW+iQedYrLYfA
s6eAx+6fTv2b%GNgkF6eCQ
aazAS9mHS7q%t4G+aD1gMA

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28651

@darrenking

Very Impressed Darren........ although it all seems more daunting when you're just about to start out.Β 

Cheers,

Russ

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thank you Russ, in retrospect it probably was a little ambitious for my third build but I've learnt a hell of a lot from it (so far)!

Guitar making is a bit like a cold swimming pool. The though of getting in is much worse than it actually is once you get going and very soon you'll be wondering why you were so hesitant in the first place. You'll make some mistakes, but there are very few that are so serious that they can't be rectified, and you have access here to a huge database of experience relating to exactly those kinds of happenings!

Darren

mattbeels, Boo, Deej and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

Just watched the Bagpress Masterclass Launch video from Mark's series - so came back for another read of this.

Still in awe of the quality of the work!Β  Now I just need to head off to make some Lutes for a couple of years

πŸ˜‰

Boo, Deej, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Here's a problem that I've been fretting over (boom, boom, see what I did there?)

Has anyone ever resorted to simply gluing in frets? I ask because the neck of my Petite Bouche doesn't have a truss rod, only three carbon fibre reinforcements, and I have found that hammering in 20+ tightly fitting frets tangs can actually exert enough force to cause the neck to bend. Without any mechanical means of straightening the neck, can I rely on the string tension to pull it back or should I file the teeth on the fret tangs down a bit to make them a looser fit and then glue them in thus exerting less bending force on the neck as a whole? Any thoughts?

Russ, Boo, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I have found that hammering in 20+ tightly fitting frets tangs can actually exert enough force to cause the neck to bend

Hmmmmmm.

@darrenking, as an alternative to hammering, I've got a cheapy drill press, with a fret press caul cunningly attached to it.Β  That means I can put enough pressure on the fret to push it into the fret slot without the sudden BANG pressure of a hammer.

20200905 163503

Obvs, I still support the neck underneath too.

Β 

Perhaps your fret slots aren't cut correctly - you might need a decent fret slot cutting jig

🤣

Russ, Boo, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Beautiful work Darren, superb! @darrenkingΒ 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Russ and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@tv101 Very droll!Β 

It's not so much the banging, its the driving all those little wedges in with no way of countering the force they collectively apply. I might try squishing the tang a little with a pair of parallel closing pliers to see if that helps a bit.

Boo, tv1, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: