Roseline build progress  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
Hero:9999405
13/09/2019 3:05 pm  

I still have a feeling that you are closer than you think but I cannot see what is going on in the pics - they are too small...can you do a bigger version of that last pic?

Measure twice, cut once...

ReplyReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
14/09/2019 9:54 am  

OK - I slept on it ...here's what I think:

At 5mm the clearance is too high you need to reduce the angle

If you reduce the angle then you will have to sand the soundboard in the area of the rosette (this is OK if kept to a minimum - maybe .5mm to 1mm)

If I was you I would give it one more go - Try and get it as low as possible...then

After the fretboard is glued you can correct the angle as you level it - aim for aroung 8-9mm - fixed!

You could also make a chunkier bridge as I suggested earlier.

You will likely have to do a combination of all these things to nurse it into shape but that is not unusual...

Don't do anything too hasty - proceed with care - you're nearly there!

Don't forget the offer stands if you want to bring it round - OR Carol can organise a courier if you want to consider packing it up and sending it here - then I can get my hands on it and work out what is going on. You would not be the first - its a free service to MEMBERS ONLY!!

This post was modified 1 month ago by mark bailey

ReplyReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Adept
Rep Points:169
Hero:125
15/09/2019 10:14 pm  

I think I should prioritise getting the neck and soundboard flat, given that my fingerboard is only 5.55mm thick.

Nothing I have done with sanding the upper bout area on the soundboard has affected the bridge clearance- getting a reading under 5mm is just about possible, but I've sanded through the outside rosette purfling (just under the fingerboard), and left 1mm of spruce thickness at the heelblock. I had to re-adjust the heel joint, and take 1mm of the tenon. I've had quite enough of that destruction!

I do wonder what could have been built differently? Is it just the heelblock squareness to the soundboard?

I will get my bindings on this week- at least the router jig worked a treat, although quite terrifying.

ReplyReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
16/09/2019 2:38 pm  

@syntholabo

Sounds like you have taken it as far as possible - I can't tell from that tiny image what went wrong but I suspect the arch of the braces is maybe a bit too much? Probably better to carry on and see if you can improve matters when leveling the fretboard. And use a chunkier bridge...

ReplyReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Adept
16/09/2019 8:08 pm  

IMG 2345
IMG 2344

Binding on.

You can see on the side profile picture that the heel block to soundboard angle is slightly back set.

IMG 2346

The soundboard is on the topside in this photo.

Guess somewhere between gluing the heel and arching the X-braces, I let the ball slip 🙁

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by syntholabo

ReplyReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Adept
19/09/2019 3:46 pm  

There is this horrible feeling of quickly devaluing the worth of one's bit of wood with every ever-escalating disaster potential. I don't like it!

I have made a f*ck*ng pig's ear of getting my neck bolted on yesterday... you make it look so simple Mark. Surely there is a better way of drilling this preciously fragile bit of wood? My barrel nut positioning was awful, I damaged the actual heel via the 10mm drill bit, which felt horrible to execute, and I took the heel block holes up to 7mm to allow for proper neck set. The damn soundboard lip that I had allowed when brad-pointing the tenon, had magically turned into a lip on the bloody neck. ? 

And after all that, the bridge clearance with a 5.5mm fretboard on, is a stonking 13mm. Furious I am!

Low point. I feel like I've just made sculpture. A nice one.

Trip to Ayr?

ReplyReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
19/09/2019 4:23 pm  

Maybe you could use a Maccaferri style bridge with a tailpiece and pretend you meant it...

You need a pretty thick skin to be a guitar maker...it can be heartbreaking when things are not going to plan..I understand...

It is not a million miles away - You are more than welcome to bring it round and I'll take a look...no problem!

ReplyReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Adept
19/09/2019 4:47 pm  

How funny. remember when I showed up for my BYO number 4 in 2005, and wanted a Macaferri.... you were like... nah man that's not how we make an acoustic flattop bridge.

IRONY

ReplyReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
19/09/2019 7:46 pm  

@syntholabo

Maybe it is destiny....

ReplyReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Adept
21/09/2019 11:29 am  

1- I'm redoing my barrel nut holes with some plugs to get a better aligned anchor for the bolts. Made a wee jig to hold the neck in the drill press for these scary 10mm holes. Will re-assess bridge clearance after latest neck set.

2- I've ordered an arbor press to do the frets... throat capacity is 117mm. Can I fret the neck with fingerboard glued on? I'm not sure how I would position the fingerboard once frets are in. You mentioned it in the vids at some point.

ReplyReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
21/09/2019 12:33 pm  

2- I've ordered an arbor press to do the frets... throat capacity is 117mm. Can I fret the neck with fingerboard glued on? I'm not sure how I would position the fingerboard once frets are in. You mentioned it in the vids at some point.

You need to make a jig that the neck sits in - a fancy neck rest. The frets over the body are a bit more tricky...I've demonstrated the best way I can think of on the course (without spending even more money!)

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by mark bailey

ReplyReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Adept
22/09/2019 8:16 pm  

IMG 2359
IMG 2358

Flushed maple binding. 

I'm so pleased with my home made router holder- I recommend this massive saving to any budgeters out there 🙂

IMG 2357

IMG 2354

Now... this bridge blank is 10,55mm thick. It just nips the straight edge, which is resting on the newly sanded fingerboard. Result?

IMG 2355

R O S E L I N E

IMG 2356

This post was modified 4 weeks ago 3 times by syntholabo

mark bailey liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
24/09/2019 3:15 pm  

Now... this bridge blank is 10,55mm thick. It just nips the straight edge, which is resting on the newly sanded fingerboard. Result?

YES! That will do nicely...as we normally aim for around 9mm it is a tiny bit chunky but best left like that rather than having a saddle that is too tall or a fretboard that is too thin.

You are so close now I can almost hear the music!

ReplyReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Adept
24/09/2019 3:22 pm  

Twang! Awesome.

Can you tell me what you think of these grubby black marks on the lacewood sides? Seems to be part of the wood, but looks like it's been down't'pit.

ReplyReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
24/09/2019 3:56 pm  

@syntholabo

Can you tell me what you think of these grubby black marks on the lacewood sides? Seems to be part of the wood, but looks like it's been down't'pit.

Hmm...yes they do look like fingerprints...have they been there from the start? When did you notice them?

I would gently sand the area with 220-320g on a flat block and watch very closely to see what happens - if there is no change then it is in the wood.

ReplyReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3