47 Posts
5 Users
74 Likes
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Posted by: @frocesterbill

Done two necks with a suitable hammer.........

Song lyric

Measure twice, cut once...

ReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Trusted Member
Adept
Rep Points: 229
Topic starter  
IMG 2360
IMG 2365

Here goes. I left the neck un-carved for this process.

The end frets are indeed trickier- especially as I didn't make my support caul wide enough. I can finish-hammer them in on the bench at least.

IMG 2371

Russ, mark bailey, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Trusted Member
Adept
Topic starter  

Fret dressing question:

I found that my fret install was surprisingly good. When I took 150grit to the fretboard with a 12" radius aluminium beam, my high spots were at each end, and it took me a while to get the 7-12th frets touched. Maybe I should have stopped and called it 'relief'?

I'm worried my first fret is now low.

Trying to recrown has been puzzling- I'm using a fret crowning file with three profile options (I used the thinest one). Should there be a degree of tilting the file to knock the edges off? I notice that the overhead view of you using the expensive diamond fretting files was perfectly straight.

This post was modified 5 years ago by syntholabo

ReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Trusted Member
Adept
Topic starter  

Slow-going update:

Finish on (5 coats of Osmo), gauge 11 strings on... gulp.

I'm still dressing the frets, which are now so low that recrowning is proving difficult. I am going to have to try with a 3-square file instead of a fret dressing grooved file. My saddle is crazy high probably... the assembled strings are >15mm off the soundboard, but the action is reasonable around 1.5 to 2 mm at twelfth fret, and also reasonable at the nut end- no buzzes.

I have no relief whatsoever, and as you'd expect the tone is a little restrained, and very buzzy on bottom E scale. I had tightened the truss rod before re-levelling since my last attempt, in order to get the middle of the neck slightly proud.

I'm hoping that further re-crowning attempts will allow some more string motion. I will try some gauge 12's to see if a bit more tension helps.

I really hope it's going to be OK. It's a bit emotional getting to the end with just a pretty bit of wood 🙁 Will post pics as soon as my fret masking tape is off.

ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

@syntholabo

Did you release the tension on the truss rod again after levelling? More string tension will certainly help pull some relief into the neck....

fingers crossed! Let us know how it goes!!

ReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Trusted Member
Adept
Topic starter  

@markbailey

Yup, truss rod released to max, increased string gauge to 12.

It's so close. I have the smallest amount of relief now.

You can tell there's more tone to be had, but I don't think I can do any more fretwork beyond polishing. Should I try to prop up the saddle a tiny amount?

ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Sounds like you are almost there @syntholabo

Should I try to prop up the saddle a tiny amount?

Give it a try - why not?

You are welcome to visit and bring it for me to look over...just make sure to let Carol know when ...

Hoping to see/hear some clips soon!!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: