Hey Guys

Here is part 9.....I need help....

tv1, Boo, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

Ugg @steveadams. That sucks. I've never used the rubber backed stuff but I assume it would need to be damn near flush with the top going in so you didn't go through the decorative part. If it was me, I'd probably pull it out and find some wood purfling or something to fit in there. Play with the rubber backed stuff at another time. That way when you sand/scrape it down flat it will still look good. You looked really discouraged. Time to change it around and have some success. Everything is learning. Keep up the good work. 

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

@steveadams

Oh, you look so disappointed, just pull yourself together and think of the fun you're going to have finding a way to fix it.  I can't offer you any advice as I haven't built an acoustic yet, but I am in awe of what you've produced so far.

tv1, Boo, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@steveadams

I feel your pain. I’m trying sound hole inlays with a dremel after years of using hand cutters and am not having success either.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@steveadams sorry things have gone wrong for you. One thought that crossed my mind is that you could cut/route (can’t recall what you did in the first place) out what’s there and replace it with a pre made whole rosette, if you find one wider than what you’ve put in it’d mean you could cut a new clean edge for it too. Appreciate its not ideal but it’s a potential option, maybe 🤔

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

@steveadams

Oh Steve that's a bit of a bummer. Sorry I can't give any advice but I've got every faith that you are going to come up with a solution. The bracing does look great. Keep it up.  

🙂🙏🎸🎶

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
steveadams
(@steveadams)
Prominent Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 1060
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the replies guys..

I think I have no choice but to scrape out the inlay and try and make a new inlay from rosewood to contrast the spruce...

It will take some fiddling...but hey ho...

onwards!!!

cheers

Steve

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@steveadams

I made an inlay from walnut and found it was tricky so good luck with it

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@steveadams

I know this is stating the obvious but no one has said it yet. The difficulty you will have fitting another inlay if you can’t get a clean channel is that the centre has been removed so using a Dremel cutter with a centre point will be difficult unless you can use the sound hole edge as the reference. Also you have the braces on and no flat surface to work on.
Previously I’ve always done it like that using a hand held cutter, but you would probably need to make one which isn’t that difficult just need a small knife blade, scrap wood and some nuts and bolts. 
Another way would be to try the way that Mark does headstock inlays i.e. make the inlay first and line up where you want it to be, then mark round it with a scriber point not a sharp blade. I would use a craft knife with the inlay still in place to make a proper cut, being careful not to damage the inlay. Then it’s cutting to the line with a chisel or free hand Dremel if you’re very brave. By the way I think your

guitarmaking.co.uk apron is far too clean, it should look like this.

1A46835A B3C4 4044 9948 17559A3ACFB3

tv1, Boo, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

So sorry about your troubles @steveadams!

Have you come up with anything or heard from Mark? 

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Boo, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
steveadams
(@steveadams)
Prominent Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 1060
Topic starter  

Hey @mattbeels and @rocknroller912

thanks for the comments...my apron is getting very dirty....

I am in the middle of editing the update on the rossette saga...I will upload this evening..

No, Matt didn thear anything, but did some research and came up with a solution..

cheers

Steve

tv1, Boo, Koendb and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

I am in the middle of editing the update on the rossette saga...I will upload this evening..

@steveadams beer and pringles at the ready for the next episode. Looking forward to the solution!

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

tv1, Boo, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

Man @tej ..... now I want pringles.  🙂

tv1, Boo, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Hey Steve

Just catching up on the outside world, and eagerly clicked on your video update.

Well.  That's all a bit disappointing and disheartening.

You spend 10 days in Portugal, and that's all the tan you come home with?  What did you do ... shadow hop anytime you went outside?  Spend all day in the indoor gym?  Apply factor 280 five times a day?  Are you sure you were in Portugal the country, or is Portugal a little village in South Wales in 24hr shadow from the Mountugal hills that surround it?

The rosette on the other hand ... well, that's just a challenge waiting for you to devise a cunning solution (I'm typing this before watching the next installment).  If I had £1 for every "oh shit" experience I've had when making guitars, I'd have ... well, quite a few ££s.

Seriously, I was pleased to see you put the screwdriver down.  There'll be numerous ways of fixing it.   

And I'll remember not to use that rubber celtic knot inlay stuff if ever I manage to get around to building an acoustic.

And thanks for sharing ... I'm sure it would have been a lot easier, and less painful, to "lose" this video update.  By sharing, we'll all learn something.

Keep on keeping on. 

🙂

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Boo, Tej, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: