Topic starter  

Β 

7DD2FC24 255B 421D AD79 AE248F8307AA
56F6D32B D1F6 4982 9CF5 1C5E85DFD573
C19C2248 013F 4720 8EAD 2A713CB4D409
28927C06 8D45 48D4 92ED E3FC6347B730
DADC7BAF 1D76 43C1 93F9 7D25712E649C
9DE25507 5335 4345 8743 71176F2A0058

Β  Before guitar building, I primarily built ukuleles and micro basses. More often than not I built it in pairs. Either identical or completely different. I tend to do so because you have your set up out already and while awaiting glue up or Β stages of the build you can jump right in the other build alternating tasks. Tried it with guitars and quite gratifying having different mindsets going in the creative process of the journey.

Deej, Boo, Russ and 7 people reacted
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Interesting looking builds there @clinton - both the range of styles and finishes.

I need to know more about the single cut, hollowbody, that also looks to have quite a thin body?

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Boo, Deej and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4954
Topic starter  

Β 

1C44701F 92E7 48C7 A31B 8D8229E23671

@tv1010101 They are both 1 1/4 inch thick semi hollow center block. Finishing up the red one today.

tv1, Deej, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Β I used Keda dye for the green. Still new at all this for I always used oil stain prior. Wished I dyed it black first and sanded for the grain to pop more but got intimidated. Now I know.

Β The red one is permanent alcohol ink stain. Quite nice how that turns out. Definitely gonna be a solid Β color choice staining.Β 

tv1, Deej, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

The green one also has a piezo tune o matic bridge pick up along with a P90 neck pick up. Alder with purpleheart fretboard. Interesting tone in the middle position. Sounds like a super beefed up Acoustic guitar.

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

I’m really interested in the Tune-O-Matic (or any other product from Wallace and Grommet Ltd). Is it just wired in as a separate pick up or is it always paired with another? How acoustic does/can it actually sound?

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

@clinton I especially like the green monster! Very cool! It really suits the style of the guitar.

tv1, Clinton, Deej and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Tried it with guitars and quite gratifying having different mindsets going in the creative process of the journey.

@clinton Nice guitar builds. It is interesting taking on two builds at once, I did it recently too. I concentrated on on closer to the end as I nearly made a big mistake with one of them. They are both Barncasters but one is left handed (the first left handed one I’ve built), it got quite confusing from time to time. I will definitely do multiple builds again but I would like it better if they were both right handed.Β 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, Deej, tv1 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

@clinton Great builds. I particularly like the green hollowbody. Very nice indeed.

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

tv1, Clinton, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@darrenking Hi, a friend of mine gave me this Tune O Matic Bridge Pick up as a gift. I’ve had it for quite some time. The bridge has piezo installed underneath each of the saddles and out goes a ground and hot wire and installed like a regular pick up. I used 250k pots but wished I opted for 500k for more range. A hole needs to be drilled underneath the bridge saddle to channel through the wiring harness. A bit tricky but not too bad. Interesting sound and you can feel each string having its own pickup and kinda sounds like the dynamics of an airy acoustic tone.

Boo, tv1, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@johnnierox-boo Hi yes, I like it. Keeps the momentum going and actually gets me focused on being 2 steps ahead as I alternate tasks. Haste had always been my downfall and it just keeps me more preoccupied and actually taking almost the same amount of time.

Boo, tv1, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@david-johnson09 Thanks, turned out allright. Just finished the red one. I am pleased. Learned so much on what to do next time around. Particularly color dye staining.

74D78E12 5EEA 497C 8E06 2E1A168AE242

Β 

Boo, Russ, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I’m really interested in the Tune-O-Matic

@darrenking

I've got one in my box-of-bits at the moment.Β  It's in need of some TLC before I install it as - according to the person who donated it to me - it's not working reliably!Β  I'm guessing that it's just a wiring/connection issue somewhere as the concept is pretty simple and there aren't a lot of components!

I'd say get hold of one (not so easy in the UK as their distribution isn't great) if you can, and try it out on a build ...

Boo, Deej, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

The green one also has a piezo tune o matic bridge pick up along with a P90 neck pick up. Alder with purpleheart fretboard. Interesting tone in the middle position. Sounds like a super beefed up Acoustic guitar.

Thanks for all the extra details on "the green one" @clinton.Β  I thought it looked like an interesting concept!

You might have just given me some inspiration for my next build/s.

A hollowbody with some not-f-shaped-f-holes.Β  Perhaps get my piezo loaded bridge sorted out and working and use that.

?

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

Particularly color dye staining.

I've had some "fun" with staining too @clinton.

Of all the products that I've tried, I've found the Crimson stains to be the most reliable.Β  They're pretty easy to apply and to finish, and the results are - I think - pretty good.

I prefer staining and oiling rather than painting.Β  It always seems mad that some people choose beautiful pieces of wood, spend hours carving it, hours more sanding it ... and then suffocate it under layers of opaque paint!

I'd rather be able to see, and feel, the grain of the wood when I'm playing the instrument.

Plus, I've got no paint spraying kit or experience!!

ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@tv1010101 Yes, it is interesting. I recommend to do a 5 way switch or a kill switch to get maximum tonal selection having the piezo just as an added bonus for it might come in handy for live performances, honestly I feel it is more of a novelty having it more than anything, figured I'd try it out. I am upgrading mine to 5 way selector with a Wilkinson humbucker on the bridge as well. Just ordered and waiting for the parts.

Deej, tv1, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@tv1010101 I hear you on that. I cannot muster myself to paint a slab of curly maple. Will try the Crimson Product. Already planning my next build.

Deej, tv1, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Wilkinson P90s M Series

Β 

Robin, Boo, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@clinton Go Jimi 🤘😎🤘🎸 Sounds great, I love those pickups. I’ve got a few too, I’ll be using them in future build coming soon later this year.Β 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Robin, Clinton, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: