5 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
Anonymous 7261
(@Anonymous 7261)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

Having looked at a few second hand drum sanders, I'm having a go at building one based on these plans:

https://woodgears.ca/sander/plans/

I happen to have a 1/2HP pump motor, and some drive belt bits and pieces (ex Morris Minor fan belt!). I'll let you know if it's any good!

Anyone else had a shot at this?

Graham

Anonymous 7261
(@Anonymous 7261)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

That's my DIY drum sander built and working now ...

diy drum sanding machine

The table height is adjustable from 0-80mm by means of a pivot at one end, that can be set at one of 4 chosen heights, and threaded adjusters at the other end, from which 1/4 turn gives ~0.2mm at the drum.Β The drum was trued up with sand paper on the table. First results seem to show I can achieve +/- 0.1mm across the 450mm drum width.

Drum guard now also fabricated from a rain water gutter (!) with dust extraction to the vacuum cleaner - it's still a bit dusty, so I'm adding a brush strip along each side.

ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

WOW - Nice work Graham!
Β 
Thanks for the pics and vid - I have added them to your post...amazing work...hero points duly awarded!

Measure twice, cut once...

ReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Trusted Member
Adept
Rep Points: 229

That's amazing man!

You know you can sell those for 1.5k

πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

Tempting - the one bit of kit that is a bit expensive but very useful based on use on my two build courses......

Keep watching on eBay - there is a used Jet 2244 on eBay but it is a big lump and would need a van to collect........

Will look at the plans!

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

ReplyQuote
Share: