9 Users
654 Likes
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I’ve found that if I make one neck after the other and try and make them all the same, it reinforces the processes in my memory and develops my practical skills/techniques, and boosts my confidence with it.

Good tip.

I've been really lazy, and have bought in a lot of my necks.  At ~£200 each, they're not cheap.  

I should sort myself out and get some necks made.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Boo, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

I should sort myself out and get some necks made.

You’re missing out on the best part @TV1010101 and looking at youkre other work you should sail through the process ??

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

You’re missing out on the best part @TV1010101 and looking at youkre other work you should sail through the process ??

Cheers @Deej

The few necks that I *have* made have been a very rewarding experience - feeling it take shape the facets get carved away, then sanding smooth and feeling the nicely carved wood ... (No, Kenneth, no, just no)  ... a great part of the process.

I need to get myself some decent templates sorted out, and then get cutting and carving.  I've got a few neck blanks tucked away in the workshop, and a few pieces of wood ready to turn into neck blanks to turn into necks too!

mattbeels, Deej, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

TV romping up the ratings by triple posting...... ? 

Think neck carving an first coat of oil finish are two magical bits in a build - I remember my first neck up at Baileys in 2017 - got the first sand after the carve and Mark declared a tea break - just went and sat with mug of tea and grinned inanely for 20 minutes...........

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

mattbeels, Deej, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

just went and sat with mug of tea and grinned inanely for 20 minutes.........

@frocesterbill Yep, I did the same thing but at home, I did the online course! Love it. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Deej, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

TV romping up the ratings by triple posting......

Oooops!

Now deleted ... there were some website errors when I was posting that reply, so whatever I did in response to the error (F5?) obviously repeated the posting.  Be more careful in future!

Looking at the ratings table, I might be spending too much time on the forum, and too little time anywhere else ...

mattbeels, Deej, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Oooops!

Now deleted ... there were some website errors when I was posting that reply, so whatever I did in response to the error (F5?) obviously repeated the posting.  Be more careful in future!

@tv1010101 I have to say that this happened to me yesterday, there is a glitch in the system. I tried to upload a post and I got an error message so I used the back button in my browser. My typed message for my post was still there so I tried it again but got the same error message, I did it all a third time too. I gave up in the end but when I saw the Recent Posts I saw the same message posted there three times, I deleted two of them.  

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Deej, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I have to say that this happened to me yesterday, there is a glitch in the system

Yup - I've noticed it happening to a few people/posts.

I'm guessing that it's another symptom of us over-working the host/server.  @markbailey did mention that they've got some work planned on that in the near future, so fingers crossed that the work resolves the problem ...

mattbeels, Deej, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

feeling the nicely carved wood ... (No, Kenneth, no, just no)

I was tempted to post some comment...

I have to say that this happened to me yesterday, there is a glitch in the system

Yep it’s happened to me over the last few days.

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

mattbeels and mattbeels reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: