Measure twice, cut once...

mattbeels, tv1, Deej and 3 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

I enjoyed the livestream today (as I always do) so I’ve decided to practice what I’ve learned. I found a couple of pieces of pine 4x2 in my workshop so I made a through-neck blank, it’s about 1200mm long. This is just to practice getting that angle cut correct, once I’ve done it I can glue some wings on and see how it all goes together. It won’t be the best guitar in the world but it’s to prove to myself that I understand everything I need to do. After that, I can repeat the whole process with some decent woods/materials and hardware. Trying out my new clamps for the first time too. 

3ABAAF24 34FC 41E7 9E84 43E6CC7F1F98
7B4D61A3 9E07 4156 9B02 C12E8890C5A8
2B7A56CE B170 4946 92B3 72EDF0847704
89441EC1 71AA 4E6E B93A 8784AFF3AFCE
F316073E 89DC 4988 AD57 1A6C90D42A75

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Deej, mark bailey and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

Really brilliant session - well done Mark!

The new widget does open up some options - like you did today you could run a video and add commentary live.

Thanks for the through neck stuff - clearest explanation and I have watched everything I can find on YouTube. 

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

mattbeels, tv1, mark bailey and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

I watched today’s session on catch up and it was wonderful! Mark, you are changing peoples lives and if that isn’t worth getting emotional over then what is?

Darren

mattbeels, tv1, Deej and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier

Mark is passionate about building guitars - the one he builds and the ones that we build either at the workshop or on line.  He gets a real buzz out of seeing people realise that they really can build a guitar from scratch and from seeing the finished guitars built in the workshop and online

Sunday’s session has given me the confidence to get the wings glued onto my Firebird - still need to route pickup cavities, glue on fretboard and carve the neck first so it will be a few days yet....

Think I may have become a guitar building addict as I have just bought a bass fretboard and neck blank from Baileys last week...........

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

mattbeels, tv1, mark bailey and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God
Topic starter  

Thanks guys - you make it all worthwhile! ? 

mattbeels, tv1, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier

Suggestion for livestream workshop - you said that you enjoyed doing inlays.......

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

mattbeels, tv1, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Posted by: @markbailey

Mark, after measuring down 3mm at the scale length line, you then need to strike a line from there to the other mark near the fretboard. Does it matter how far up the fretboard that mark is? It looks like 18th or 19th fret would be good for the upper horn and 21st or 22nd fret for the lower horn. I’m just trying to picture it for when I’m making a drawing. 

Does this make sense? 

mattbeels and mattbeels reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God
Topic starter  
Posted by: @johnnierox

Mark, after measuring down 3mm at the scale length line, you then need to strike a line from there to the other mark near the fretboard. Does it matter how far up the fretboard that mark is? It looks like 18th or 19th fret would be good for the upper horn and 21st or 22nd fret for the lower horn. I’m just trying to picture it for when I’m making a drawing. 

Does this make sense? 

YES! Where the fretboard joins the line of the body shape on the upper horn is where to join up - I marked it with tracing paper in the vid - V.IMPORTANT!

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Posted by: @johnnierox

Does this make sense? 

YES! Where the fretboard joins the line of the body shape on the upper horn is where to join up - I marked it with tracing paper in the vid - V.IMPORTANT!

Ok thanks. Can there be variation in the design though? For example, I could have a design where the body meets the fretboard at the 17th fret or the 19th or even 14th or 15th. However I design it, I always go from that point do I? 

mattbeels and mattbeels reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: