17 Users
398 Likes
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I shut my “Faceache”account down a couple of years ago, I was sick to death of the toxicity.

I never opened a FB account @boo - and certainly see no reason to change that policy now!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Boo, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

@boo

We are all like-minded

I think that is the key, we are all like minded. I think its great that the more experienced guitar makers take the time to help and advice beginners like myself.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

I still have my FB account. I belong to some really stupid yet fun groups and I especially have a lot of fun in the Luthier groups talking shit, insulting other people’s work, trolling, giving bad advice err what I meant to say was: offering encouragement, liking photos, complimenting builds and sharing funny stories!😂

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Robin, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

I never opened a FB account @boo - and certainly see no reason to change that policy now!

@tv101 I agree, knowing what I know now, I agree. I never wanted one either but it was invaluable when I went back to uni, it’s such a good resource and communication tool. Once I didn’t need it any more and saw how political arguments leached into everything from 2015 onwards, the toxicity made my mind up for me. I knew it was all coming when I was studying it, one day a group of powerful people with money would weaponise it. Well, a few years later, they did and continue to use it in that way. The world has gone crazy but since the insurrection at the Capitol, social media companies have finally seen what a lot of us have been warning about and finally stepped up to take action and responsibility for their platforms. I know this topic doesn’t interest everyone and choose to ignore it but it is very dangerous when lies and disinformation is unbridled and aloud to run rife. In my research, toxicity was mainly limited to the virtual world, people were bold as they could hide behind their computer screens, they were disinhibitied. It rarely spilled out into the real world but then 2016 happened and a certain world leader decided to use Twitter as a weapon and control mechanism for his minions. A certain group of people weaponised it for *rexit too. Things spilled out into the real world and ugly things happened. In a way, good things are coming out of the attack on the Capitol, things are changing for the better. Conspiracy theories must be dealt with for all of our sakes, if we see it here, we need to squash it. It’s easy to ignore all of this stuff but societies can be destroyed when truth becomes irrelevant by flooding lies, untruths and disinformation into it. That’s what Hitler did and we must not forget it. 

OK, let’s talk about guitars again. 🤣

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Russ, mattbeels, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

@boo

I just never had any mates to join up with on Facebook.

😋

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I especially have a lot of fun in the Luthier groups talking shit, insulting other people’s work, trolling, giving bad advice

It’s been noted @mattbeels.  Noted.

😆

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I think that is the key, we are all like minded. I think its great that the more experienced guitar makers take the time to help and advice beginners like myself.

@robin - people have been making guitars for centuries.  

Anyone alive today is a beginner.

👍

Boo, Russ, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Peter Johnson
(@peter-johnson)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 132

@mattbeels

The Facebook group is called "Petalberds of Derm". It was a breakaway from "Pedalboards of Doom" as some members of that group could be a bit uptight.

There's lots of gear talk obviously, but sometimes someone will share something personal, and the group is really supportive.

It's fun. One of the members was responsible for the "Bonamassa is buying Gibson" rumour, honestly!

People without a sense of humour generally don't last long. It's been described as a virtual pub.

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@peter-johnson

Petalberds of Derm

Haha, sounds fun! I’ll have to check it out.

Practice on scrap...

Boo, Russ, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: