Page 2 / 2
  RSS

James Perry
(@james-chacewatergmail-com-2)
Customer
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 99
27/08/2020 12:40 am  

Well this has opened up a whole can of lentils!

I think the last couple of posts from tv ten ten and Ihab hit the nail on the head.  One sees the Bailey brand as a niche local enterprise for guitar builders whereas the other is all for appealing to the more Global market of anyone who has an interest in the mysteries of how geets are made.

I suspect this is where Mark's question came from...... if you take 100 people interested in guitar making you're gonna get half that want to know the ins and outs of every detail and make as much as possible from scratch, half that want to knock one out as soon as possible from a kit, another half that want to make one near perfect guitar even if it takes them the first ten years of their retirement and still another half that want to learn all the shit there is in double quick time to start making a living out of making and selling guitars. And that's not including the other half!

And of those many halves ? half will want to get the info for free and the other half will be willing to pay for quality.

Now..... half of me thinks ???? 

Seriously, I LOVE your online courses. They enabled me to build playable electric and acoustic guitars with no prior woodworking experience. I can only imagine the amount of time and effort it took to make them. To me, the live streams are a fantastic addition to them and even when I can't watch them live like today, I'll watch em with a beer after a gruelling 12 hour shift to unwind. But I'm a GM fanboy ...... I wonder how many non Bailey students are regulars to the live streams?

Personally I voted for more edited stuff because I'd be willing to pay for a finishing course and someone's got to support @jamesbisset for an archtop masterclasscourselessonvideotutorial  😉             But I do see the value in team bonding from the live stuff. 

Have you looked into approaching local colleges or Unis to see if there are marketing/ IT students looking for projects or internships to help with their CVs that might be able to do the donkey work so that you can do what you do best?

Excuse my waffle .... one beer led to two.... but I don't know if there is a one size fits all answer to your poll except to know that you're working your arse off living the dream that so many others can only dream of. But at the same time, helping us all to dare to dream ?

So to answer your original question.......... not a clue mate!

Russ, Deej, mark bailey and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
tv1010101
(@tv1010101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 2065
27/08/2020 9:19 am  

Well this has opened up a whole can of lentils!

I think you half-opened quite a few different cans

😉

I think the last couple of posts from tv ten ten and Ihab hit the nail on the head.  One sees the Bailey brand as a niche local enterprise for guitar builders whereas the other is all for appealing to the more Global market of anyone who has an interest in the mysteries of how geets are made.

Maybe there's something in that.

The live sessions have been about small aspects of guitar building, specific tools and/or skills, rather than the complete process.  Those smaller aspects have a direct bearing on the final outcome, and they're often not the sort of thing that you'd learn from guitar-building books, or understand the significance of.  But those smaller aspects and details are an intrinsic part of what makes Mark's approach, his courses, and the guitars that he builds so good.

They're a taster for the full-on courses.

But also they could be a way to broaden the appeal and tempt people in to the more practical aspects of guitar building ...

• How do pickups work (I really still don't understand the physics of it!).
  • Let's look inside a pot and understand how that works (understand the theory and you'll never need a wiring diagram again).
  • All the aspects of guitar set-uppery that turns a brilliantly built and beautifully looking guitar into one that actually plays properly too.

Mark has a wealth of practical knowledge of loads of aspects that are peripheral to the core making of a guitar that (a) would probably widen the potential audience base, and (b) serve as an entry point for the more curious, into the world of guitar making.

Perhaps even ...

• Let's put a kit together

... and lets see all the problems that you get out of the box with a typical kit, and how they can be resolved.

It all depends on what Mark's objectives are.  What does he want to achieve - 5k subscribers is a nice flag to reach, but ultimately, "so what".  What's the outcome that he wants from those 5k subscribers?

Russ, Deej and mark bailey liked
ReplyReplyQuote
jamesbisset
(@jamesbisset)
Adept
Rep Points: 189
27/08/2020 10:33 am  

someone's got to support @jamesbisset for an archtop masterclasscourselessonvideotutorial

@james-chacewatergmail-com-2 At last - someone who understands!

Jack of all trades and master of my own destiny. It’s only a small destiny.

mark bailey liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Adept
Rep Points: 213
27/08/2020 2:22 pm  

There are lots of edited videos on utube about all types of instrument making and they are great to watch. However none of them offer the opportunity to for live chat and have question/answer sessions in real time. This is unique in my experience and it would be a shame to lose it. Mark already has edited videos on utube and the paid courses so I think it would be a mistake to turn the Wed/Sat sessions into a duplication of what is already available.

I do have one observation though. I've noticed a tendency for people to start side conversations in the comments section which are off topic to what Mark is demonstrating, which can be a bit distracting and lead to questions being missed.

I think the live streams would be more productive if there wasn't so much general chatter and then people who who under time pressure due to work etc could get more from them.

ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Adept
27/08/2020 2:37 pm  

I voted for live streams and let a comment some where, not sure where it is.

Ive been very impressed with the bits on tool making, maybe there are other custom tools that you could make and add to the web site. There seem to be lots of very skilled people following who could be third party suppliers.

ReplyReplyQuote
tv1010101
(@tv1010101)
Luthier
27/08/2020 4:12 pm  

I do have one observation though. I've noticed a tendency for people to start side conversations in the comments section which are off topic to what Mark is demonstrating which can be a bit distracting and lead to questions being missed.

I guess I’m guilty as charged, and apologies @rocknroller912.

I think someone else commented that the sessions can resemble a bunch of mates having a chat down the pub (those were the days) at times, rather than a more formal demo/instruction/learning session.

I’d not really considered how the chat might be disruptive to others.

🙁

Deej and mark bailey liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Adept
27/08/2020 5:10 pm  

@tv1010101

This is such a new format for people to get used to its a bit like opening presents on Christmas Day so I don't worry too much. One thing that's always missing from residential courses is getting together and swapping stories. Maybe we should all have a social weekend get together some time when the current situation eases a bit, well those of us living in the UK any way.

Ive met some great people on violin making courses but they tend to wait until the last night before getting to know each other which is sad.

mark bailey liked
ReplyReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1123
28/08/2020 1:15 am  

I’m up for organising/hosting some kind of meet in the South East (North Hertfordshire). Also happy to do a bit of a factory tour/lunch whenever anyone may be passing through Letchworth.

I’m just trying to picture a group of us all sitting in a pub together, shyly keeping ourselves to ourselves without expressing any kind of opinion or starting a conversation......naaaaa, that not going to happen is it?!!

Darren

ReplyReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1123
28/08/2020 1:23 am  

@tv1010101 YesTV, it’s nearly always you that does that!! ? 

The thing is, if you are concentrating on Mark then you don’t really see the comments (not sure about the new big on screen speech bubbles thing tbh) but if you want to ask some particular question to the the group for immediate feedback, and get caught up in that thread, then the video is always there to go back and watch again later. That is is the great thing about the livestreams, they’re our virtual pub!

ReplyReplyQuote
John L (Boo)
(@johnnierox-boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2439
28/08/2020 2:11 pm  
Posted by: @

I agree with you here @darrenking. I am used to multi tasking online and enjoy listening to Mark talk and demonstrate but it’s also beneficial, I think, for everyone to get their thoughts out. I see it more like a brainstorming session and you never know if something really cool will come out of it. Being creative on your own can be good, I love it but I think it’s a must to interact with other likeminded people to generate inspiration. Something always sparks innovation, it rarely comes to anyone in a vacuum! Sorry for the bagpress joke Darren! ? 

Instagram - jacknifecustomguitars

tv1010101 and Deej liked
ReplyReplyQuote
tv1010101
(@tv1010101)
Luthier
28/08/2020 6:11 pm  

it rarely comes to anyone in a vacuum! Sorry for the bagpress joke

Vacuum jokes tomorrow, to replace last week’s glue jokes .....

?

John L (Boo) and Deej liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 2159
28/08/2020 6:54 pm  

It’s all @TV1010101 

ReplyReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 2159
28/08/2020 6:55 pm  

Fault....?

ReplyReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Crafter
Rep Points: 858
28/08/2020 7:26 pm  

I guess that doing only one livestream a week would then release time for Mark to grow more concise edited content to add to the existing courses that generate income from premium members.  

I found the Electric Course brilliant because I could easily find the lesson I needed, watch it to prepare and have it in the workshop as I did a task, sometimes watching a small chunk several times.   I wouldn’t have been able to build a ‘Lockdown Lucy’ by following Mark’s live-stream build but I would be able to pick up techniques/skills from a live-stream and apply them to a build.......

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

ReplyReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2