17 Users
398 Likes
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I do have one observation though. I've noticed a tendency for people to start side conversations in the comments section which are off topic to what Mark is demonstrating which can be a bit distracting and lead to questions being missed.

I guess I’m guilty as charged, and apologies @rocknroller912.

I think someone else commented that the sessions can resemble a bunch of mates having a chat down the pub (those were the days) at times, rather than a more formal demo/instruction/learning session.

I’d not really considered how the chat might be disruptive to others.

🙁

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Boo, Deej and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tv1010101

This is such a new format for people to get used to its a bit like opening presents on Christmas Day so I don't worry too much. One thing that's always missing from residential courses is getting together and swapping stories. Maybe we should all have a social weekend get together some time when the current situation eases a bit, well those of us living in the UK any way.

Ive met some great people on violin making courses but they tend to wait until the last night before getting to know each other which is sad.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

I’m up for organising/hosting some kind of meet in the South East (North Hertfordshire). Also happy to do a bit of a factory tour/lunch whenever anyone may be passing through Letchworth.

I’m just trying to picture a group of us all sitting in a pub together, shyly keeping ourselves to ourselves without expressing any kind of opinion or starting a conversation......naaaaa, that not going to happen is it?!!

Darren

mattbeels, Peebee, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

@tv1010101 YesTV, it’s nearly always you that does that!! ? 

The thing is, if you are concentrating on Mark then you don’t really see the comments (not sure about the new big on screen speech bubbles thing tbh) but if you want to ask some particular question to the the group for immediate feedback, and get caught up in that thread, then the video is always there to go back and watch again later. That is is the great thing about the livestreams, they’re our virtual pub!

mattbeels, tv1, Deej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Posted by: @

I agree with you here @darrenking. I am used to multi tasking online and enjoy listening to Mark talk and demonstrate but it’s also beneficial, I think, for everyone to get their thoughts out. I see it more like a brainstorming session and you never know if something really cool will come out of it. Being creative on your own can be good, I love it but I think it’s a must to interact with other likeminded people to generate inspiration. Something always sparks innovation, it rarely comes to anyone in a vacuum! Sorry for the bagpress joke Darren! ? 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, tv1, Deej and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

it rarely comes to anyone in a vacuum! Sorry for the bagpress joke

Vacuum jokes tomorrow, to replace last week’s glue jokes .....

?

mattbeels, Boo, Deej and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

It’s all @TV1010101 

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

Fault....?

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

I guess that doing only one livestream a week would then release time for Mark to grow more concise edited content to add to the existing courses that generate income from premium members.  

I found the Electric Course brilliant because I could easily find the lesson I needed, watch it to prepare and have it in the workshop as I did a task, sometimes watching a small chunk several times.   I wouldn’t have been able to build a ‘Lockdown Lucy’ by following Mark’s live-stream build but I would be able to pick up techniques/skills from a live-stream and apply them to a build.......

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

mattbeels, mark bailey, Deej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Estimable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1765

I voted for more livestreams but really my answer is 'If I had to chose between the two' I'd chose livestreams because of the dropsies, the digressions are what makes it human and something you guys have more than any other channel is personality. Also in the zombie apocalypse, having something like the live stream where there's loads of conversation is something that's in short supply. 

I'm sure there's a balance like one live stream and one short edited tips n tricks video a week or something like that, that would be great. I'm still playing catchup as there's hours if not days of amazing videos to watch on the channel, not to mention the courses (which are amazing).

Anyway, keep it up whatever you decide we'll be there.

mattbeels, Robin, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jamesalexandermcmillan
(@jamesalexandermcmillan)
Estimable Member
Adept
Rep Points: 176

The livestreams with the side comments are more like what the in person courses are like. A lot of hard work, learning and fun. A bit like I'm a celebrity! We all learned from each other on the BYO guitar course I was on last year and picked up ideas for future guitars from each other as we went along. We also had a few running gags and blethers around the table at breaks and lunchtime. Edited versions are great but largely miss the humour that comes with the hands on courses and Carol's input to the livestreams is missed in the edited (serious) videos.

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
James
(@james-chacewatergmail-com-2)
Honorable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 720

and Carol's input to the livestreams is missed in the edited (serious) videos.

So true 👍 

Who wouldn't love to see The Boss, Carol, have a walk on role in an edited GMUK video 🤗😃😀

Boo, mattbeels, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@james-chacewatergmail-com-2

Some people are not comfortable in front of a camera and how would she manage to get a word in anyway

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

@rocknroller912 My money would would always be on Carol making herself heard when the situation requires it! Just as long as Mark doesn’t have control over her mics volume control!

🤣 🤣 

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

@jamesalexandermcmillan I haven’t been on a course with Mark but I completely understand your point. I think it has been amazing how the forums have come to life alongside the twice weekly live streams. They have enabled so much interaction between members that it feels like we are really getting to know one another and the involvement with the forums has increased massively as a result. I would never suggest that C19 has been anything other than a massive disaster overall but some good things have come out it in the form of community spirit, in real life as well as online.

Boo, mattbeels, James and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

I voted for livestreams, pretty much for the same reasons already listed.  They’re a lot of fun to watch even if it’s after the fact.

However edited videos also have a lot of merit. Those offer the meat and potatoes without the waffles and are great when you just want to get on with it.

It’s a tough call for me as it’s not so black and white, personally I want ‘em both! Err, that and a pack of cigarettes...

Practice on scrap...

Boo, Robin, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Peter Johnson
(@peter-johnson)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 132

I'm a bit late to this conversation. I'd seen the thread title but never opened it. It's perfect timing though because it follows on from comments I made in today's livestream (Wed 3 Feb).

I asked if livestreams would continue when normality returned  as I felt that Mark and Carol have built an amazing online community. I always feel as if I'm amongst friends and it's great to be able to interact with everyone in a friendly relaxed atmosphere. Reading this thread I find that I'm not the only person that feels like this. That's really good.

We all know how toxic the internet can be, so being able to come to a place like this is important. In fact, thinking about it I only know of one other place on the net that's as friendly and supportive - a Facebook group if you can believe that!

So I voted for livestreams. I get it though. Mark and Carol need to make a living, and  the courses are a main source of income (I'll defo be signing up to premium when funds allow, but I'm really struggling atm).

I'd be happy if it had to go to only one a week. Saturdays would be cool as maybe more people could "attend" if they don't work weekends.

As for views/subscriber count - On the one hand I would wish for more, the channel deserves to be successful. But, I've seen some livestreams where the comments scroll by so fast that they're impossible to read. How do you take part in that?

So on the other hand we have a smaller count. It's more "intimate" and we're all able to take part and hopefully make a contribution. I'm very happy to be part of it. I'm a relative newcomer, but I'm defo here for the long haul!

Russ, tv1, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@peter-johnson

I only know of one other place on the net that's as friendly and supportive - a Facebook group if you can believe that!

I can believe it, some of those groups ain’t bad. But most are pretty diluted.

Care to tell us which one?

As for views/subscriber count 

I hear you. I too enjoy that it’s still a relatively small group. You can get your questions answered and still have time to chat with others, which honestly for me is about all the “real time” social activity that I get! I’ve recently moved so haven’t had a lot of opportunity to make new friends yet so the streams and the forum are my hangouts! 😂

Good post, glad to have you here! 

Practice on scrap...

Russ, tv1, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

We all know how toxic the internet can be, so being able to come to a place like this is important. In fact, thinking about it I only know of one other place on the net that's as friendly and supportive - a Facebook group if you can believe that!

@peter-johnson I shut my “Faceache”account down a couple of years ago, I was sick to death of the toxicity. I wrote my dissertation on online disinhibition within social media networks and “Faceache” was essential for my primary research. Once I graduated with BSc Hons, I realised that there wasn’t a good enough reason for me to keep my account, so I ditched it. It’s one of the best things I’ve done online, I feel so much better, I’m a lot more analog these days. Although, I do have an Instagram account where I have met some seriously good people. The best thing I’ve done online for a long time is find @markbailey, even before this forum was up and running. Now it is populated with members, I’m very pleased to see that everyone here so far is great. We are all like-minded and are polite and civil towards one another, just like things should be. This is how a social network of people should behave, we are here to enjoy ourselves, help each other out and improve as guitar builders. It’s good to see that people have differences of opinion and that we all respect that. It’s the same in the YouTube live streams, it’s great. I think we have a great group of people here and if we get any idiots in the future, I’m sure we will get them shut down, zero tolerance. ✊🎸

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Russ, Robin, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I asked if livestreams would continue when normality returned  as I felt that Mark and Carol have built an amazing online community.

I certainly hope so too @peter-Johnson.

M&C have built a couple of really strong, supportive and friendly communities, both of which started in real life and both have transferred successfully to virtual life over the last few months.

They are wonderful people for being able to do that - and putting so much of themselves into it.

Boo, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: