What would you like...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] What would you like to see next?

186 Posts
33 Users
1620 Likes
10.4 K Views
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

I use this dirt cheap 'fritz Ruler' as a string spacing ruler.. I cant even remember how I got it. (It probably came in a cheap Ali kit )

IMG 20211113 172511703 COLLAGE

tv1, mattbeels, Rocknroller912 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Posted by: @boo

What I do instead at 1pm every Saturday is cry for a couple of hours

Well, I guess that's still something to look forward to.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Robin, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Posted by: @tv101

Well, I guess that's still something to look forward to.

@tv101 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, tv1, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier

I haven't looked any further back if it this was already proposed, but an archtop guitar build would be awesome or would that be way too advanced for us mere mortals?

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@Koen

Do you mean an arch top carved from solid wood or a semi acoustic from laminates. Solid wood carving is more like a violin type of instrument which is my particular interest. If that’s what you want to do I’m happy to share my experiences, as it’s totally different from a flat style acoustic.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier

Posted by: @rocknroller912

Do you mean an arch top carved from solid wood or a semi acoustic from laminates. Solid wood carving is more like a violin type of instrument which is my particular interest. If that’s what you want to do I’m happy to share my experiences, as it’s totally different from a flat style acoustic.

@rocknroller912 Yes! a real carved arch top from solid wood. ( I am also interested in building other instruments, like a violin,  later )
This is WAY above my current capabilities , but I am definitely interested in learning that.. For now, an acoustic guitar is already a big step forward.

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@koendb

Carved solid top is actually easier than an acoustic flat top because there’s no radius dish or thickness sanding involved. The gluing surface between the front/back and ribs is flat, which can be achieved with a small block plane. Guitar only has 2 tone bars running front to back and I’m sure that Mark touched on this briefly in a video. Fitting tone bars and cutting F holes are the most difficult parts of the build.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

I have the SM nut spacing rule @rocknroller912 and I wouldn’t slot a nut without it. It’s a bit fiddly but it works well and it covers every spacing for nuts and bridges that you would ever use, indispensable imo.

You can get the one made by Elmer in the UK, same thing or close enough.

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Robin, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@mattbeels

Thanks I will try this firm and see what it has.

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cattytown
(@cattytown)
Trusted Member
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 96

A little late on this one, If these have been covered and I have missed them, I'd appreciate a pointer to them.

First off +1 for droptop and for, head adjustment for truss rods. I's also like to know considerations for basses over guitars, and if neck wood choice makes a difference to sensible thickness.

Paul.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Posted by: @cattytown

First off +1 for droptop

@cattytown Here you go, droptop. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cattytown
(@cattytown)
Trusted Member
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 96

@boo Thanks 🙂

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

@markbailey @cazdaz

Hi Mark and Carol. Hope all is well with you. I've been sitting here wondering if you have any plans to do any more Live YouTube Workshop Wednesdays again. They were very helpful wee sessions and extremely entertaining. Missing the Banter. 

Keep on Keeping On guys. 

🙏🙂🎶🎸

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

tv1, Clinton, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier

Posted by: @russ

wondering if you have any plans to do any more Live YouTube Workshop Wednesdays again. They were very helpful wee sessions and extremely entertaining. Missing the Banter. 

Yeah same here! It was really great and huge help + big part of the community feeling

mark bailey, tv1, Robin and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

@russ Agreed. I don't think I would have found this community if not for the live streams so I'm kinda bias. I loved them and I loved the "real" feeling that came with them. 

mark bailey, tv1, Robin and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Posted by: @koendb
Posted by: @russ

wondering if you have any plans to do any more Live YouTube Workshop Wednesdays again. They were very helpful wee sessions and extremely entertaining. Missing the Banter. 

Yeah same here! It was really great and huge help + big part of the community feeling

Wouldn't that be wonderful !!

I guess they became a little onerous at times though - I remember a few stretching well past the scheduled hour.  Plus, if there are courses in the workshop again, then filming amidst the sawdust might get tricky.

But it'd be great to see Mark back again doing some stuff again - even if just 30mins quick-tip sessions, or some show & tell here's a build I'm working on.

Be good to see @Roland's 400 yo piece of guitar-shaped wood in the background too  😀

When they started, I was working for a company where they kept trying to crash my Weds lunchtime "I'm busy" slots with meetings.  They kept trying, I kept ignoring them.  When I finished the contract, they asked me to stay to do something else.  I declined.  Part of my reason was their attitude to my Weds lunchtimes.  A man has priorities  😉

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Marcel, Clinton, mark bailey and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tyreman
(@tyreman)
Reputable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 516

couple of things I'd love to see are a classical guitar project and also a neck through build going through the entire process from the initial drawing to the finished guitar being a big fan of superstrats, you've covered everything else extremely well and I love the content here, I feel like I've learnt more here than anywhere else and there's a great community.

Robin, Koendb, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier

Posted by: @tyreman

I'd love to see are a classical guitar project

I second that , I just fixed a classical guitar  ( was missing one of the tuner gears, so I replaced the tuners , and while I was at it, dressed the fret ends) and the owner only picked it up 2 weeks later, so I had some playtime on it. I must say, I really want a classical guitar now. But I dont buy guitars anymore, I prefer to make them myself 🙂
So yeah a classical guitar building course would be awesome.

Russ, tv1, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tyreman
(@tyreman)
Reputable Member
Technician

@koendb same here with not buying them, it's more fun to make one! I also realised one of the reasons I like classical guitars is the scale length is very similar to fenders scale being only slighly longer than 25.5" for my hands that scale length feels perfect.

Russ, tv1, Koendb and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tyreman
(@tyreman)
Reputable Member
Technician

I thought of something today, perhaps a video on just the side profile when designing guitars would a very useful extra bit of info, I find it challenging.

Koendb, tv1, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 10
Share: