What would you like...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] What would you like to see next?

186 Posts
33 Users
1620 Likes
10.5 K Views
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Love the spalting- where do you source the wood?

@deej Thanks man, I got all the woods from @markbailey He has quite a good stock you know. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Tej, Deej, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Igeorgebot
(@igeorgebot)
Estimable Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 187

Hello, I would choose A. I think rosewood would look stunning for the fretboard and I heard that Jimi Hendrix had an advantage keeping the higher strings in tune longer the reverse way.

I could be wrong about this but...I just think it looks cool!

Tej, Boo, Deej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Igeorgebot
(@igeorgebot)
Estimable Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 187

That's brilliant!!! How does it sound?

Tej, Boo, Deej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bangy
(@bangy)
New Member Customer
Enthusiast
Rep Points: 45

It may already be here not sure so my apologies if it is. Yesterday at the shop my cousin gave me 8/4 Piece of Black Walnut.Β 

650dvp back
650dvp front
650dvp body back

==pair this with a piece of White Maple I have left over from my Studio desk to make something similar to a Rick 650D, or Bobs your uncle. Ive owned a few of these over the years, and they rock.

Β 

Im guessing you would carve the neck before glue up--but what do I know?

Rocknroller912, Tej, tv1 and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Im guessing you would carve the neck before glue up--but what do I know?

@bangy There is a YouTube live stream that Mark did last year about this kind of construction. Check it out.Β 

Tej, tv1, mark bailey and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@bangy

Depends on the body shape but yes, Β carving first would be wise. At least the transition.Β 

Another thing to look out for on a neck through are the wiring holes for the pickups. The thing to do is to route a channel on the edge of the lower part of the body before gluing it all up. Then after the pickup cavities are routed you drill in the corners into the channel, you know what I mean?

Practice on scrap...

Koendb, Tej, tv1 and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mario
(@mario)
Trusted Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 104

I suggest a course about typical repairs on a guitar. The other side of a luthier job when he is not constructing guitars. Thanks.

Koendb, tv1, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@mario

Repairs are difficult as no two are the same. You can demonstrate basic principles but in instrument making schools repairs are an extra after two years of new builds.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Koendb, tv1, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@rocknroller912 that’s true but I think they’re an invaluable learning resource. My first significant effort at fixing a guitar was when I was given one with a ruined truss rod. Removing the fretboard, replacing the rod working to cleanly repair bits of chipped wood on the old thing were all really useful things to tackle. It was actually through that my confidence to tackle a from scratch build came. A lot to be said for fixing up something knackered and cheap in the name of education!!

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tejΒ 

I would agree with you about fixing broken instruments for education but you have to know your limits and not cause further damage or try to over repair something valuable which can ruin it. Factory instruments can be impossible due to the type of glue used. Don’t get me started on Titebond please !

I spent a few years repairing school standard violins for a friend who was a music teacher. The kind of things that were not worth the time to a professional violin maker. I still do a fair bit that’s why I don’t post much guitar stuff. Last year I got 3 cheap violins as payment from the local music shop which I’m setting up and giving to the school.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier

@rocknroller912 makes sense, the guitar I worked was given to me to play with ultimately so it didn’t matter if I happened to ruin it entirely it wasn’t an issue.

What’s your issue with titebond, this is what I’ve found most people use with guitar making?Β 

tv1, MariamDupre, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

Titebond is very permanent which can be good but it’s a nightmare when doing repairs as the level of heat needed to soften it is bad for the wood in my opinion, particularly on acoustic instruments where the wood has been air dried as opposed to kiln dried. I’ve made instruments in the 1980s using hot hide glue that are as solid as the day they were made. Lots of people are terrified of glue failure but a failed glue joint is much easier to repair than a wood tear. Glue failure is usually due to a badly fitting joint or too much clamping pressure. Having said that I do use Titebond for things that I hope will never need to be taken apart, like back/front centre joins, crack repair, bushing peg holes, laminations. Water based glue can swell parts that are a tight fit, so for me it’s different glue for different jobs.

cattytown, tv1, MariamDupre and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier

@rocknroller912 It’s a tricky one as generally people only experience glueing by practice/experimenting, rarely have I met someone who was taught what β€œenough” glue looks like and what β€œenough” clamping pressure feels like, I say rarely, never! I’ve never had anything come unstuck regardless of wood glue used. I only use titebond because that’s what I see everyone else use on demo videos 😬

tv1, MariamDupre, mattbeels and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@markbailey What I think is worth exploring more would be a more in-depth look at nut making. When making guitars, I always buy a new nut and hope it fits. If the nut is slightly too high, I just sand some off the bottom of it and if it’s too low, I just buy a different nut.Β 
I think being able to take a nut blank and craft it into the perfect nut for a particular guitar is an art in itself and I would love to be able to do that.Β 
If there was a course for nut crafting, setup and maintenance, I’d buy it. 👍🎸

Sure there are videos and guides online but it’s not the same as having a proper workshop application to learn this stuff.Β 

cattytown, Tej, Koendb and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God
Topic starter  

@boo Good call...Could be quite in depth - There are a lot tricks and tips that would help folks out...noted.

Measure twice, cut once...

Tej, Koendb, tv1 and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@markbaileyΒ  @boo

Sounds like a good idea, so just for further encouragement, sign me up for the nut making course too.

Tej, Koendb, tv1 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

I’ve noticed recently while buying parts online that there are some expensive templates for measuring nut spacing. Wonder if anyone has used one or if there are any opinions on how useful they are.Β 

cattytown, mattbeels, Tej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I'd be happy just to see *anything* - quite miss the Saturday sessions in the workshop.

🙂

Β 

(And the Weds sessions too, but I don't want to be greedy!)

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Tej, Koendb and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Posted by: @rocknroller912

I’ve noticed recently while buying parts online that there are some expensive templates for measuring nut spacing. Wonder if anyone has used one or if there are any opinions on how useful they are.Β 

@rocknroller912 I have a string spacing ruler somewhere, a StewMac one I think. I’ll dig it out. I haven’t used it, I just added it into an order I got ages ago, thinking it will come in handy one day when the opportunity presents itself.Β 

mattbeels, Tej, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Posted by: @tv101

I'd be happy just to see *anything* - quite miss the Saturday sessions in the workshop.

@tv101 Yeah I’m the same, I really miss it. What I do instead at 1pm every Saturday is cry for a couple of hours as I miss the live streams that much. I’m crying now and won’t stop until shortly after 3pm. 😢😭

tv1, mattbeels, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 10
Share: