60 Likes
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385
Topic starter  

First of two questions for today, if using a clear grain filler and a dye I’m presuming you’d mix it with the later coats of dye once you have the colour pretty much deep enough for your tastes, sound about right!? 
Also is grain filler something that’s likely to need a few applications or is it not know for shrinking?

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

mattbeels, Robin, Boo and 7 people reacted
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tej

Some grain fillers do shrink as the solvent dries out, whether it’s water or solvent based there will always be a reduction in volume. The number of coats is something you have to judge as you go along. The aim is to get a smooth glass like finish with filling and rubbing down or flatting with wet/dry abrasive and water. Start with a high number paper like 1000 grade and work down until it starts to have and effect. What you are looking for is no shiny spots, and let it dry properly before deciding you’ve finished. 
As far as mixing dye in the filler you might find that gives a patchy result as you rub down.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

mattbeels, Robin, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16782

@tej

I’m presuming you’d mix it with the later coats of dye once you have the colour pretty much deep enough for your tastes,

I think that once you're happy with the colour then there no need to add stain to your clear grain filler. I'm going through that process just now and am surprised at how many coats of Sand&Seal that I'm having to apply. But it's not a race, it just takes time and patience. Its up to yourself as to how close to perfect that you want it to be.

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@robin yeah time isn’t an issue here, I spent longer finishing the last kit guitar I did than ours taken to get this one from scratch to where I am now. I’ve been a little premature with my questions as I don’t know what form some of this is to take, I found some instructions in advance of my order arriving which talk of mixing the filter in so I’m presuming the filter perhaps needs diluting. Main thing with this one is that I leave it long enough to cure fully after the last coat which I didn’t do before. 
The upside of that is that I can get started designing build 2 🙂

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 thanks for the advice, I’m a little wary of using water on the off chance it sneaks in anywhere to be honest though I guess we’re not talking a lot here! The product instructions I’ve since found do say to mix with the dye so I’ll just just be super meticulous with that to be sure it’s uniform before I start.

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tej

I think using water in the rubbing down process is essential or there will be particles collecting on the abrasive that will tear the sealer out. It’s important to check the abrasive paper as you go along and make sure there is no build up or clogging. I dip mine in a tub of water and change it frequently to make sure it’s clean. Also I dry off after every rub with kitchen paper to check how far I’ve gone and the trick is to know when to stop.
Dye does mix into liquid at a much smaller level than a stain so if the instructions say to mix it should work. 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

mattbeels, Russ, Koendb and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: