10 Users
281 Likes
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@Rocknroller912 

Thanks for the link, I've just ordered my tin of Rustins G Shield, £9.48 including delivery is a good price from NWG. I looked at Rustins website, they want £10 + £7.50 postage.

mattbeels, Koendb, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383
Topic starter  
IMG 6237

Meant to post this a while ago and forgot. Readily available in the U.K. cost £21 for 500ml and works well. I tried it on a recent Telecaster style build lining all the control and pick up cavities including the holes drilled for connecting wires. 
I’ve tried it without the strings and so far there is no unwanted noise.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

mark bailey, Russ, Dan Hawkes and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Rep Points: 804

What’s it have in it for shielding?

swepri, Robin and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rathius 

Hope you can read this, it’s hard to capture a round tin 

IMG 7739
IMG 7740

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

swepri, Robin and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Brian Walker
(@brie)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 300

@rathius It’s got loads of graphite in it, very thick stuff and messy to work with. Make sure the body around the cavity you’re painting is well masked, it’s a real pain to clean any splashes or errant brush strokes. I usually do three coats for an effective shield. Once the paint is dry I test the surface for conductivity using a multi meter on continuity setting.

Good stuff and it lasts for ages, just make sure it’s well mixed before you use it (the graphite tends to settle out at the bottom of the tin).

Brian👍😃🎸

Dan Hawkes, swepri, Robin and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Honorable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2556

I have only tried the Crimson Guitars stuff. Expensive little bottle, but does the job well. Probably the same ingredients anyway.

I had problems with one guitar and shielding paint, where i painted the hole for the output jack and the "hot" part of the jack just touched the shielding a tiny bit. The signal was muted in a terrible way, not totally grounded, but very muddy. It took some effort to find it and correct it.

Russ and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@brie 

Ive found it cleans easily with thinners but if the wood is not sealed it will get into the grain 

Robin, swepri and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: