10 Users
281 Likes
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383
Topic starter  

During the summer Mark was shielding control cavities and asked if there is an alternative to the Stew Mac paint from America. Discussed this with my chemist friend yesterday and he suggested using graphite powder in acrylic paint or lacquer. I've ordered some on Amazon to try as its not expensive. I wonder if anyone else has  experimented with making shielding paint.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Tej, Koendb, mark bailey and 13 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

I wonder if anyone else has  experimented with making shielding paint.

@rocknroller912 I haven’t actually made any or experimented with making any but I have looked into it before. It is all inexpensive and the graphite could be suspended in anything really, so long as it will dry, paint, glue etc. Let us know how you get on, you need to find the right ratio mix and test it for conductivity. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Tej, Koendb, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

. I wonder if anyone else has  experimented with making shielding paint.

I've got an ancient tin of Galvafroid paint, I painted some on a peice of wood as a test,  but it wasn't conductive.

Tej, Koendb, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

I bought some from Cat Music on eBay - seems to work - once applied and burnished it has a metallic sheen - conducts well - it was quite expensive for the volume but as I didn’t need a large quantity and didn’t want to risk the unused stuff going off that was fine.

I did look at making some but unless you were going to sell it the outlay would been too much....

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

Tej, Koendb, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Discussed this with my chemist friend yesterday and he suggested using graphite powder in acrylic paint or lacquer

If that works @rocknroller912, you’ll find a ready market.

All the “proper” stuff is incredibly expensive.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Tej, Boo, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@tv101

I'm hoping to record some quantities as I go along, weight of powder and paint but not sure if my scales are good enough for small sizes. Maplin Electronics was a good source until it closed. I still have an old spray can with lots of paint but no air pressure and have seen Halfords stores putting air into a can, but don't think I'm brave enough to try it. Can't find a suitable adapter for my compressor anyway.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Tej, Boo, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I had forgotten about this project and remembered it at the weekend. Mixing graphite powder sourced from Amazon with a lacquer works well but it does need to be mixed and applied thickly with a few coats. I used nitro cellulose as it’s quick drying and I had some in a jar left over from a spray job last year. The quantities were too small to record but I managed to get a photo of the meter reading with difficulty only having one set of hands, and one of them not working very well.

I also managed to find a UK source for the spray cans of Nickel Screening Compound that I used to buy from Maplin Electronics before it closed, so the home made stuff will take a back seat. RS online are one of the retail sellers which is easy. It’s got to be more convenient than Stew Mac, for UK based people anyway. If you’re worried about using spray cans to get into a control cavity it’s possible to spray into the can lid then use a brush.

DCF4B14C 0C52 4669 A3D9 B43363723AD6
687D863D 48A0 4ED5 8FF8 9F9B8A1CAD01
90E2945E C185 463A BC5D 1D42CFA2033F

https://electrolube.com/product/nscpnickel-screening-compound-plus/

Tej, Boo, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Forgot to add that the NSC is available in 5L bulk for trade use so it will be a brush can.

Tej, Boo, cheesewhisk and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

Thanks for the update @rocknroller912.

Looks like its Farnell have it too;

https://uk.farnell.com/electrolube/nscp400h/coating-nickel-can-400ml/dp/1675347?CMP=grhb

Tej, Boo, cheesewhisk and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Estimable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1765

I was thinking about this only today, is shielding paint necessary/ advised? 

Tej, Robin, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

@cheesewhisk - it really depends on how noisy (in terms of electrical interference) an environment the player is going to be playing in.

It's a nice touch, a good sign of "I'm a proper guitar builder" and not hard to do.

There's no real downside to doing it, just takes a bit more time (inconsequential in the context of the total build time) and needs some more build material (inconsequential in the context of the total build cost).

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@cheesewhisk

Yes it’s pretty much standard in quality guitars these days and Mark uses the Stew Mac brand. A while ago there was a discussion on the live stream about finding cheaper alternatives to buying from USA. 

Famous players from the 70s have had their guitars retro fitted with screening to improve the sound. Mark did cover it on utube and discusses all the aspects.

Some people use adhesive copper foil but it can fall off and cause a short circuit. I’m not sure of your electrical knowledge. It screens out radio interference (RFI) from the air and takes it to ground/earth stopping it from getting into the pick up signal. It doesn’t stop RFI which gets in through mains wiring.

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I’m not sure of your electrical knowledge.

Mine is minimal @rocknroller912 - thanks for the correction/clarification!

Tej, Robin, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

I was thinking about this only today, is shielding paint necessary/ advised? 

None of my factory guitars have any shielding, except on the pickguards.
None of my partscasters or kit guitars have any shielding either (with the exception of a small strip of aluminium around the controls area of the pickguard).
I did put it on one of my telecasters , because its pickguard suffered from statics pretty badly, not because of interference.
On my own build guitars I am doing it just because it is just a minor effort.

Tej, Robin, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@tv101

@koendb

I wouldn’t call it a correction your point of view is just as valid as mine and I think you are better qualified in electronics than me. In factory guitars it’s probably just cost. 70s amplifiers weren’t good enough to show pick up interference noise so it didn’t matter, but old guitars played through modern amps show all the faults and need up grades.

I was given a 70s WEM (Watkins Electronic Music) mixer amp a long time ago where the power amp was totally burned and blown so I replaced it with a modern high spec power module, stereo spec but for guitars. Auxiliary 50v + and - power supply with a centre ground tap and thought it would do. The sound was terrible all treble hiss. I managed to track down the designer Arthur Watkins and phoned him. Guess what he just laughed and said those old designs were good at the time but terrible by modern standards - so buy a new one.

Tej, Robin, tv1 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier

I wouldn’t call it a correction your point of view is just as valid as mine

Oh @rocknroller912, my comment was not meant as a correction to any other opinion either! I think you are 100% correct about older equipment. I just responded to the original question if it is necessary or advised. So perhaps I should have pointed out that it is not necessary but could be advisable in certain conditions:

1. If I would build a guitar for a customer, I would do it

2. If you experienced issues with RFI or statics, I would do it

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@koendb

Its hard to chat on the web without getting comments and people mixed up, maybe we should organise a zoom meeting or something.

ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier

@rocknroller912 I would love to do that sometimes.

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Just got think link from a friend who is an industrial chemist 

https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/g-shield-emi-shielding-paint-125ml/

mattbeels, Tej, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Just got think link from a friend who is an industrial chemist 

@rocknroller912 Excellent, that’s new from NWG 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Robin, Koendb and 5 people reacted