1134 Likes
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112
Topic starter  

might I suggest shaping the outriggers to suit

Hi Jonathan, I completely agree. This is prototype No1 and I really just wanted to get it spinning so that I could assess access tot he mop and understand where any problems might lay etc. It would be nice to narrow the body down towards the front but I don't want to over complicate the construction and therefore push up the price. I have a couple of different motors on their way to me from China and these may allow the overall width to be somewhat reduced so I'll see what I can do when they arrive. I could also just have a slightly longer shaft, maybe + 100mm, which would also help.

Cheers

Darren

mattbeels, Deej, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035

@darrenking I was thinking just chop those outriggers at 45 degrees at the front (not a big deal for the CNC I would have thought) which would then look "right" when you put it on the corner of the bench.

It's a minor thing, but it's one of those touches that makes me as a customer think the designer has thought things through and gives me extra confidence in the product.

mattbeels, Deej, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Wait for MkII!

mattbeels, Russ, Deej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

Wow @darrenking I need sunglasses 🕶 

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

tv1, Boo, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

That looks pretty awesome @darrenking!

Where I come from we call it a buffer but after seeing your shiny results I suggest that you call it...

The Chuffer!

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Deej, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Prototype No 2!!

The two motors that I ordered from China weren’t really of the same quality as the original so, for now, I have just ordered a second of the 750w set from the UK supplier. £110 isn’t that bad I guess.

The main aim of the mods was to reduced the width of the entire unit, but especially at the front, in order to increase the space around the polishing mop and therefore access to the entire guitar. It has meant having a couple of extra components but it is still a fairly simple construction. I have done away with the extended tenons and have just employed a 7mm deep channel, top and bottom, into which the upright sections locate. They are then held in place with 5mm x 35mm screws.

A different front bearing block was chosen simply because it was narrower. The fact that is made of green plastic is entirely coincidental and only because this was the only 25mm bearing of this type that I could source locally on Friday. The distance between the motor and the front bearing has been reduced by about 15mm giving a slightly increased protrusion of the shaft.

As with the the first prototype I think that screwing/clamping it to the corner of a bench is the way to go and the reversible spindle means that you can come at the mop from wither side.

I just have to laser engrave the instructions etc tomorrow and I shall box it up and ship it off to our resident forum spraying expert, Boo, so that he can have a play with it over Easter and let me know what he thinks.

Here are the pics of the new version in production and assembled along with a little video of the CNC router doing its stuff.

Cheers

Darren

E40C24A3 C08A 4D01 80FE D79B89FF8E58
D8B9EA78 2234 4AD3 8E73 603DE3DDA081
E1981930 76BE 40AE A7F4 224635EDD36A
E4D274A7 EB33 4FC0 8BF1 77938B1B475F
3ACB2F94 A642 419D B0C0 370225A6E50E
3662E160 02DC 4A45 9A1C F523893FBD2C
83DDEB6F 8DB0 4E50 BEE5 2D0E1C459D65
E9A6579B E859 40E7 81CF 99A04D5DE0C8
F6C6EBF2 87BC 4971 A09F F8C953CD95B9
7387183E 78E7 4919 92B7 454725F5CCA8
916AD259 6997 4648 BA91 821B3863FB22

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

along with a little video of the CNC router doing its stuff.

What a most wonderful machine!!

Every workshop should have one ....

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

@darrenking. I'm no expert Darren but it looks great to me. Are you happy with it or have you got other changes you'd like to make? 

Cheers,

Russ

🙏🎸🙂🎶

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

I just have to laser engrave the instructions etc tomorrow and I shall box it up and ship it off to our resident forum spraying expert, Boo, so that he can have a play with it over Easter and let me know what he thinks.

@darrenking Oh this means I now have to tidy my workshop so I’ve got somewhere to put it. 🤣 

I’m looking forward to receiving this fantastic looking machine and polishing a few things over Easter. 

Cheers Darren. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Hi Russ,

I don’t think there are any major constructional changes to be made. It’s more a case of using it and seeing how it holds up to the kind of demands it is likely to face in the average home guitar building workshop and then either making mechanical changes or not. I certainly think it is perfectly ok to shake it down it in its current configuration and receive comments from the Beta testers.

May be it could go on a GMUK national tour?

Darren

Deej, Robin, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

@darrenking. Cheers Darren. Good luck with the road Tests. 

🎶🙂🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Deej, Boo, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

May be it could go on a GMUK national tour?

@darrenking Yeah definitely but the first thing is to get people painting their guitars and flattening their paint otherwise they won’t have any paint to polish. 🤣

We need to include a polishing section in Mark’s finishing course with a section on flatting paint prior to buffing. 

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

but the first thing is to get people painting their guitars and flattening their paint otherwise they won’t have any paint to polish

What about polishing an oil/wax finish @boo - would it also work for that?

Ive seen a simple ebony fretboard getting some polisher time, and it made a big difference to the feel of the board (to this day!).

Likewise, getting a good shiny waxed finish is all in the buffing??

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, mattbeels, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

What about polishing an oil/wax finish @boo - would it also work for that?

@tv101 Yeah I suppose this machine isn’t just for buffing paint is it? Silly me 🤪 

I’m not sure what compounds/polishes would be needed for woods but I’m sure  the pros at the polishing shop could point us in the right direction. 

Deej, mattbeels, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

A buffer is also great for the final polish on your frets baby...

Practice on scrap...

Deej, Russ, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

A buffer is also great for the final polish on your frets baby...

@mattbeels Yeah baby! 🤘😁🤘🎸

Deej, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

when I was at college (83-84) I used to polish small pieces of rosewood on a patch of leather just using jewellers rouge and worked amazingly well. It would be interesting to try polishing a fretboard, either prior to slot cutting, or even after the frets are fitted, using a polishing mop. I don’t think it is a good idea to mix metal and lacquer polishing on the same mop but apart from that I see no reason not to give it a try.

Darren

Deej, Russ, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

It would be interesting to try polishing a fretboard, either prior to slot cutting, or even after the frets are fitted, using a polishing mop. I don’t think it is a good idea to mix metal and lacquer polishing on the same mop but apart from that I see no reason not to give it a try.

@darrenking I am clear coating a neck, including fretboard this week so I can try that on the buffer too, I’ll try it before I fit the frets. When I’ve done the fret job, I’ll polish them with metal polish and my dremel with the fretboard masked up. I’ve got a few more things to polish with the buffer too. 

Deej, Russ, Deej and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: