tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16752
23/02/2021 9:22 pm  

Everybody was calling in to have a look see something unexplained

@rocknroller912

I remember opening my eyes during a bone graft op (on my jaw) a few years ago to see a row of dentists watching.  Not students or trainees - these were qualified dentists at UCLH.  The guy doing the op was their lead R&D guy and it was an “interesting” procedure!

Sepsis is dangerous.  Take proper care of yourself.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 3087
23/02/2021 9:36 pm  

@tv101

Yes it's fun being a Guinea Pig. Don't think we need to leave our bodies to medical science we've already done our bit.

Don’t call us we’ll call you

Deej, tv1, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 19113
23/02/2021 9:42 pm  

still don't really know what it was but it looked a bit like sepsis starting to take hold.

@rocknroller Holy crap, that sounds really bad. Take it easy, seriously. Get well soon and don’t risk anything. 👍

Deej, tv1, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 7560
23/02/2021 11:46 pm  

@Rocknroller912

That sounds like serious stuff with your hand. Take some time off and let it heal, I know how boring that can get but don't be taking chances with it.

Deej, mattbeels, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
26/02/2021 9:54 am  

@darrenking I was talking to a bloke on Instagram messaging last night about his guitar paintwork and how he buffs it. He has the full StewMac buffing machine and uses their compounds to polish the 2K auto clear that he also uses. He said the machine and compounds do an amazing job on the 2K and he wish he had invested in the buffer sooner. He used to use the same polishing system as I still do (a hand held car buffer and liquid compounds). It works well but obviously but it can be a bit scary sometimes when the hand held machine (two handed) wants to throw the guitar body across the room. 

Deej, mattbeels, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 4018
26/02/2021 10:25 am  

Hi Boo,

That's good to know and I can almost hear your excitement level rising at the prospect of having a go!

Here is a link that Mark sent me of the 335 Gibson factory. When you get to the bit where you can see them polishing the guitars just look at how tightly they are holding them! They've got both arms wrapped around them like their lives depend on it! I guess that being responsible for a 335, that has taken the factory two weeks to put together, flying across the workshop and landingon a concrete floor is something that that could come up at their annual review!

I'm hoping to have prototype shafts next week and have ordered three at 500mm, 550mm and 600mm for testing purposes. Clearly the added length gives extra clearance but it will also put additional strain on the bearings unless the distance between the motor and front bearing is increased. I don't know how significant this will be yet, it may not matter.

What I really want to determine is whether or not the polishing mops are happy being spun in either direction or if they become 'handed' after being used for while. If they don't, then this frees ups the clearance space by being able to polish from both sides of the mop having reversed the direction of rotation without the need to take the mop off and turn it around.

Cheers

Darren

Deej, Boo, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
26/02/2021 10:30 am  

I guess that being responsible for a 335, that has taken the factory two weeks to put together, flying across the workshop and landingon a concrete floor is something that that could come up at their annual review!

Indeed @darrenking!!!

They have to sell those ones at a 10% discount ....

Deej, Boo, mattbeels and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
26/02/2021 10:46 am  

He used to use the same polishing system as I still do (a hand held car buffer and liquid compounds). It works well but obviously but it can be a bit scary sometimes when the hand held machine (two handed) wants to throw the guitar body across the room.

My local Aldi has a hand held car buffers in their man aisle just now, and wondering if I should invest in one.

Deej, mattbeels, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Customer
Luthier
26/02/2021 10:50 am  

And at least they find out if the headstock is going to fall off.

And the answer is ....yes, it is going to fall off! 🤣 🤣

Deej, mattbeels, tv1 and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
26/02/2021 11:14 am  

My local Aldi has a hand held car buffers in their man aisle just now, and wondering if I should invest in one.

@darrenking I would depend on whether it’s a rotary or orbital. Cheap car buffers are normally orbital and crap. If it’s rotary, get it.

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1238
26/02/2021 2:21 pm  

@darrenking

There are some interesting insights into the insides of Semi Acoustic designs in that video.

I also found it interesting that they shape what ultimately become several pairs of sides at once, and then cut them up.

Deej, tv1, Boo and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
26/02/2021 3:08 pm  

@boo

I would depend on whether it’s a rotary or orbital. Cheap car buffers are normally orbital and crap. If it’s rotary, get it.

Its a variable speed 600 to 3000 rpm. I might as well give it a try.

804100437700200 A

Deej, tv1, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
26/02/2021 3:58 pm  

Its a variable speed 600 to 3000 rpm. I might as well give it a try.

@robin Yeah that’s the kind I use. Buy it @darrenking and anyone else interested. 👍

Deej, tv1, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Customer
Luthier
26/02/2021 5:40 pm  

Yes, making up a wider lamination and then cutting it down is something I do quite often in my main business (ie not guitars). For 335's I would probably limit it just making two sides together as this would suit the width of the veneer leaves. If you were going for a lacquer finish and wanted the grain to book match at the tail you would still need to press to laminations. For paint finishing this wouldn't matter.

Deej, mattbeels, tv1 and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
26/02/2021 8:25 pm  

And at least they find out if the headstock is going to fall off.

And the answer is ....yes, it is going to fall off! 🤣 🤣

That's how you know it's a real Gibson.

Deej, mattbeels, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Page 5 / 7