What clear coat fin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What clear coat finishes are people in the UK using?  

Page 7 / 7
  RSS

Chrisot
(@chrisot)
Adept
Rep Points: 113
31/03/2021 12:08 pm  

I have recently taken to using Rustins Plastic Coat which is a two part. Can be brushed on or sprayed. Applying several thin coats about an hour apart and then ready for polishing after about two days or so. I've been pleased as previously I've had to wait weeks to get to the polishing stage.

AD493A73 3B6F 47E1 AF12 6AB3A53CF705

tv1, Deej, mattbeels and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1238
31/03/2021 2:38 pm  

@chrisot I've got the starter pack of Rustins for my finish experiments (I'm going to be trying different topcoats, stain, sealer and filler combinations on small test pieces, so I think the small quantity in the starter pack should be enough for evaluation )

Have you just used it over bare wood, or have you tried any stains, sealers, whatever underneath?

tv1, Deej, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Chrisot
(@chrisot)
Adept
31/03/2021 5:59 pm  

The picture attached to my post shows guitar that I stained using water based stain from Crimson guitars. I've also used it on an acoustic and again it was pretty easy to work with although not very nice to breathe. Good ventilation and a mask are pretty much essential I would say.

tv1, Deej, Russ and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 13309
31/03/2021 7:26 pm  

It looks really good to me @chrisot. Did you spray or brush it on?

Pratice on scrap...

tv1, Robin, Deej and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1238
31/03/2021 7:31 pm  

@chrisot

Thanks. Other than the mask/ventilation thing, any other advice?

tv1, cheesewhisk, mattbeels and 4 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Chrisot
(@chrisot)
Adept
01/04/2021 11:51 am  

I sprayed it using a cheap spray gun that came with my cheapish compressor. Seemed to work fine, easier than brushing and better spray than rattle cans.  I have used nitro in the past and I always damage it when buffing it as I'm impatient and/or clumsy.

tv1, Deej, Russ and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
charlesjoye
(@charlesjoye)
Rep Points: 1
07/04/2021 12:04 pm  

Charles Joye is an experienced content writer with a passion for global assignment help. He is a passionate content marketer with years of experience in writing, he makes the best use of his skills and knowledge to express ideas in his write-ups. We offer mba dissertation help service to students all across the globe. You just need to choose your writer from a team of experts and let your essay assignment done on-time. Get 24X7 help online.

Hi, I am Charles Joye a college assignment help expert. If you have any question related to computer science assignment help, then you can connect with me for a solution, and also provided 4p of marketing assignment help writer from a team of experts and let your service done on-time. Get 24X7 help online.

ReplyReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Crafter
Rep Points: 821
11/04/2021 11:18 am  

So your saying I probably should leave my nitro finished jazzmaster in the conservatory? 

Serioulsy though, I used some rattle cans of nitro from northwest guitars. Obviously well ventilated and using a proper mask unlike the guy who demos it on YT who takes his mask of immediately after spraying 🙄 aa they say, if you can smell it it’s already in your blood stream.

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Crafter
Rep Points: 821
11/04/2021 11:20 am  
838C5A0F 36CC 4301 A7EB 9C76EBF3E713

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)