What clear coat fin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What clear coat finishes are people in the UK using?

100 Posts
19 Users
912 Likes
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@jonhodgson

Exploding balls, the mind boggles.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

mattbeels, Deej, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

Nitro is used in incendiary rounds .50 calibre sniper or machine gun belts. It sets off the other stuff and I think it’s ignited with just a spark.

Nitro is a mix of different chemicals, then you add either cotton, glycerine etc to get different products. So obviously as you said before spark proof electrics are essential not only in the spray cabinet but anywhere it’s being used or anywhere the overspray can build up. Even static sparks from man made clothing can set it off.

I think eventually it won’t even be available for instrument makers so I’m thinking of oil based brush finishes. I bought a small supply from

www.violinvarnishitaly.com 

It looks good on guitars as well and I don’t think it needs UV although I would have to check. The down side is colours which are basically golden to dark brown due to the chemical reactions which are used. But it’s fine as a clear coat. It’s a one person operation and he is looking for trade firms outside Italy to retail the product if anyone is interested.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, mattbeels, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Nitro is used in incendiary rounds .50 calibre sniper or machine gun belts. It sets off the other stuff and I think it’s ignited with just a spark.

@rocknroller912 Interesting. Do you have a military background? 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Deej, mattbeels, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

@rocknroller912 Interesting. Do you have a military background? 

@boo - it could just be a “hobby” - might be better not to ask too much detail.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, mattbeels, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

it could just be a “hobby” - might be better not to ask too much detail.

@tv101 I wasn’t planning on asking for detail. I know better not to ask military personnel for details, I wouldn’t put anyone in that position. I’m not interested in learning about explosives and explosions, apart from how to prevent and avoid them. 🤣

tv1, Deej, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo 

Not exactly I worked in a place where explosive hazards were present so you had to know all the stuff that was dangerous. What is liable to cause a hazard and what can set it off. Work could be very restrictive, no mobile phones, electronic key fobs on cars, radios, food or drink in certain places. Static discharge points on entering a building. Thankfully my office was free of restrictions apart from no plonkers. 
Some manufacturing plants where chemicals are used can be high explosive risks.

tv1, Deej, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

Ive also got a clever friend who is an industrial chemist, 3 degrees I think he’s forming a band soon.

tv1, Deej, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Thankfully my office was free of restrictions apart from no plonkers. 

@rocknroller912 No plonkers 😂😂😂😂 

Sounds like an interesting job though. 

I bet the hardest part was not to get complacent. 

tv1, Deej, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

I had lots of different hats to wear. I did purchasing with a company credit card, sourcing parts for the workshop, occupational health & safety, writing computer scripts using commercial software, trade union rep. I even made my fiddle at work at the back of the stores when the work was slack. I used to take the bits every day in bubble wrap. Did a few guitar repair jobs there as well.

The no plonkers sign didn’t work, management walked in whenever it suited them.

tv1, Deej, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Eddie6string
(@eddie6string)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1551

For anything showing wood grain I use acrylic clear supplied by the Paint Centre Newton Abbott  - the rattle cans have amazing quality adjustable nozzles. 

Prior to spraying I brush seal grain first.

6 weeks to cure in my dry-room.

20210330 172005

tv1, Deej, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Chrisot
(@chrisot)
Estimable Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 119

I have recently taken to using Rustins Plastic Coat which is a two part. Can be brushed on or sprayed. Applying several thin coats about an hour apart and then ready for polishing after about two days or so. I've been pleased as previously I've had to wait weeks to get to the polishing stage.

AD493A73 3B6F 47E1 AF12 6AB3A53CF705

Tej, tv1, Deej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035
Topic starter  

@chrisot I've got the starter pack of Rustins for my finish experiments (I'm going to be trying different topcoats, stain, sealer and filler combinations on small test pieces, so I think the small quantity in the starter pack should be enough for evaluation )

Have you just used it over bare wood, or have you tried any stains, sealers, whatever underneath?

ReplyQuote
Chrisot
(@chrisot)
Adept

The picture attached to my post shows guitar that I stained using water based stain from Crimson guitars. I've also used it on an acoustic and again it was pretty easy to work with although not very nice to breathe. Good ventilation and a mask are pretty much essential I would say.

ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

It looks really good to me @chrisot. Did you spray or brush it on?

Practice on scrap...

Tej, tv1, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035
Topic starter  

@chrisot

Thanks. Other than the mask/ventilation thing, any other advice?

Tej, tv1, cheesewhisk and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Chrisot
(@chrisot)
Adept

I sprayed it using a cheap spray gun that came with my cheapish compressor. Seemed to work fine, easier than brushing and better spray than rattle cans.  I have used nitro in the past and I always damage it when buffing it as I'm impatient and/or clumsy.

ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1765

So your saying I probably should leave my nitro finished jazzmaster in the conservatory? 

Serioulsy though, I used some rattle cans of nitro from northwest guitars. Obviously well ventilated and using a proper mask unlike the guy who demos it on YT who takes his mask of immediately after spraying 🙄 aa they say, if you can smell it it’s already in your blood stream.

Tej, mattbeels, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Luthier

838C5A0F 36CC 4301 A7EB 9C76EBF3E713

ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Luthier

Shouldn’t 

imagine an edit button 🤣

ReplyQuote
Cliveo
(@cliveo)
Active Member Customer
Enthusiast
Rep Points: 31

CrystaLac Brite Tone.

I know a lot of American guitar builders use this as a top coat and finish for their instruments, and for a long time we haven't been able to get it in the UK, well thats all changed.

For any of you that aren't aware its a High Solid, Super Hard, Scratch resistant, Clear Finish with exceptional Clarity. It will build to a high depth very quickly due to its high solids content and will not leave a blue cast on dark exotic wood. Adheres to wood, metal and glass.

you don't need Ventialtion, PPE etc when using it and it can be used indoors.

You can grab your stock now at www.wilsonbrownsupplies.com

Tej, Boo, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: