374 Likes
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 

I definitely won't be adjusting the neck angle then, that's away beyond my skill level. I'll not be attempting to remove the fretboard either. I think my first step is to adjust the truss rod if it's not seized up. I could maybe take about 1mm off the bridge. I'll check with the owner before I cut any wood away to adjust the neck height. Thanks again for your help.

Koendb, tv1, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Took the trussrod cover off the banjo and found solid headstock under it, just a pretend trussrod cover. So, I removed the resonater and seen how the neck is attached. I put a little veneer in the neck joint to change the angle and a slight adjustment of the coordinator rod brought the string height to 3mm at the 12th fret.

20211111 112846
20211111 130102

Boo, mattbeels, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28658

Well worked out @robin. 🪕

🙂🙏🎶🎸

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Boo, mattbeels, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Posted by: @robin

Took the trussrod cover off the banjo and found solid headstock under it, just a pretend trussrod cover

When you put it back together, could you use pretend strings?

😆

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Boo, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@robin

Good job, it looks like you have it sorted. I was surprised when you mentioned a truss rod as banjos don’t usually have one.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

@tv101 still no good. even pretend strings are too "banjo...y". 🙂

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 

If the plates are 1.5mm thick then I would put some protection on the soundboard, like thick plastic and lever them off with a chisel. Old adhesive shouldn’t be that strong to resist very much. Words fail me for pop rivets. 

I gave the "JOE" plates a gentle heat with a hair drier, that was enough to soften the glue and gently eased them off. You were absolutely right about the colour difference under them, its not as conspicuous as aluminium labels though. I could also feel a very slight indentation at their outline, but that polished out.  The bridge is definitely pop riveted and also glued. The crack dissappeared with superglue and magic dust. The remaining pop rivet caps fell off and melted when I tried to glue them back on. So I made replacements from mahogany.

20211114 181423

Russ, tv1, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Good job @robin and welcome to the world of Guitar Repair!

Practice on scrap...

Russ, tv1, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

Good repair and I would say it will outlast you and me. I like the way you have made new rivet caps. I still can’t work out how they managed to rivet wood without crushing it. Superglue can be dangerous with some man made materials. Once I tried to glue the silver strips on a high vis vest instead of sewing them, and generated so much heat my fingers got burned.
All you need now is a sign “Robins Repair Emporium”

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Russ, mattbeels, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@mattbeels

Looks like we’ve got some competition 

Russ, mattbeels, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912  @mattbeels

Looks like we’ve got some competition

I'm not planning on making a habit of it. But Joe did mention a mandolin that he thinks is beyond repair, sounds like a challenge to me.

Russ, mattbeels, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

You learn a ton about instruments by doing repair & tech work and it’s fun and rewarding but you need to keep a sharp lookout for the pitfalls which are lurking around the corners. 

Have fun with the Mando @robin!

Practice on scrap...

Boo, Koendb, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

If it’s a Neapolitan bowl back type mandolin it probably is beyond repair. They are a nightmare and hardly ever play in tune. Good decorative pieces but that’s about it.

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Alexander Zingman
(@alexanderzingman)
Estimable Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 114

I have no idea regarding this so i'm not able to help out you..

Alexander Zingman

Robin, Russ, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I haven't got the mandolin to repair yet, the owner is recovering from covid so I'll be keeping clear of him until he's better.  But my daughter gave me her Daisy Rock guitar to fix up for her. It didn't need much, a good clean, new strings, a little adjustment of the truss rod, intonation set and replace the missing tip from the selector switch. She saw this guitar years ago in a shop window, went back to see it again and it was sold, she so disappointed. A few weeks later, hers friends gave it to her as a surprise birthday present. It plays beautifully but is difficult to hold due to the stupid shape, I tried to get a Daisy Rock pink strap for it, but they only seem  to be available in the USA, so I've got plain pink strap ordered from ebay.

20220113 115709

Boo, Russ, Bpower and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: