4 Users
64 Likes
Wayne_F
(@wayne_f)
Reputable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 631
Topic starter  

I'm not sure when or how this happened but I just now noticed it (after applying 3 coats of finish). The truss rod somehow slipped about a half-inch toward the headstock. Obviously now it's going to be sticking out past the nut. It seems to be pretty solid in it's place but could it be (carefully) knocked back into place? Is that a good idea?

Russ, mattbeels, Koendb and 7 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Posted by: @wayne_f

I'm not sure when or how this happened but I just now noticed it (after applying 3 coats of finish). The truss rod somehow slipped about a half-inch toward the headstock. Obviously now it's going to be sticking out past the nut. It seems to be pretty solid in it's place but could it be (carefully) knocked back into place? Is that a good idea?

@wayne_f Yeah I think it would be safe to do that, it should just go back down. When you do and it’s back in position, tighten it slightly and it will stay in place. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Russ, mattbeels, Wayne_F and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

. The truss rod somehow slipped about a half-inch toward the headstock. Obviously now it's going to be sticking out past the nut. It seems to be pretty solid in it's place but could it be (carefully) knocked back into place? Is that a good idea?

@wayne_f

Try adjusting it a wee bit each way to see if it becomes slack before tapping it back in. I'm sure you would have had it in the right position when you glued the fillet in, so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be tapped back in.

mark bailey, Russ, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Wayne_F
(@wayne_f)
Reputable Member
Technician
Topic starter  

Okay. Thanks guys. I'll give it a try once the finish is done. 

Russ, mattbeels, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

@wayne_f Don't forget to let us all know how it goes!

Measure twice, cut once...

mattbeels, Bpower, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Wayne_F
(@wayne_f)
Reputable Member
Technician
Topic starter  

I was able to knock it back before I leveled the frets. It will still be sticking out a bit but a millimeter or two is better than a half-inch.

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: