Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 3086
03/03/2021 10:18 pm  

@rajbcpa

I just checked one of the acoustic builds I'm doing according the the Martin D28 plans. The bottom block glued onto the sides is 4 3/4 inches high finished size, so if you have this from the good edge to the split you will be ok. You could make the side depth shorter it will just make less air space in the sound box, which will reduce the volume and give more treble than bass response. 

I would not buy new sides from a non guitar supplier as they might not be quarter sawn and may not respond well to bending. I'm shocked that a kit supplier wouldn't take these back. I think mentioned they were from Martin. I follow the Martin owners group on Facebook and the company has been getting bad reviews recently for poor customer service, even apparently refusing to deal with customers outside the US. 

Also sides are usually a bit longer than you need so you might be able to lose the worst damage near the tail end and glue the parts where you can get two ends to match together. Even if you can't get a perfect match some filler is ok with a reinforcing patch on the inside. Interested to read how you get on.

Don’t call us we’ll call you

Deej, mattbeels, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 13309
03/03/2021 10:46 pm  

the only reason you are asking this is that it would be easier for me to cut off the split pieces; right?

@rajbcpa

No, I asked because I was curious why someone with a side bender would order pre bent sides. It wasn’t obvious that you recently ordered the bending jig.

...have this tool below???

I have one. Something you wanted to know about it?

Pratice on scrap...

Deej, tv1, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
04/03/2021 4:33 pm  

Our dreadnoughts are 120mm at the fattest point so you can easily cut it down to 115mm (5mm made up by top and back) - is that enough to cut the split off?

The Bailey Bootlegger is just 100mm - looks like if they are 6" now then you can get away with it?

I would cut them down on the bandsaw using the edge guide - you could do a temporary fix with super glue just to hold it while you build and then cut it off during the 'Shaping the Back' stage as @Deej said.

Let us know what happens!

Measure twice, cut once...

Boo, mattbeels, Deej and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
04/03/2021 4:35 pm  

🤔 BTW we have always had side benders in stock and ready to ship:

https://guitarmaking.co.uk/product/side-bending-iron-ibex/

Measure twice, cut once...

Boo, mattbeels, Deej and 3 people liked