RSS

tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16739
28/03/2021 8:14 pm  

I had a quick play with it today and I think it’s about .35mm out each side

@peebee - that sort of difference *might* be caused by whether you cut the neck, and the neck pocket, templates on the pencil line, inside the pencil line, or outside the pencil line.

If making something thats going to fit into a hole, cut it with the line still visible (ie marginally over-size, potentially).

If making something that’s going to be fitted into, cut it with the line still visible (ie marginally under-size).

A pencil line can easily be >0.5mm thick (I usually use 0.5mm Rotring pencils for detailed stuff).  So a neck width could be +/- 1mm, which is more than enough to make it a loose fit.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Peebee, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 19112
28/03/2021 8:24 pm  

If making something thats going to fit into a hole, cut it with the line still visible (ie marginally over-size, potentially).

If making something that’s going to be fitted into, cut it with the line still visible (ie marginally under-size).

@tv101 That’s good thinking TV 

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, tv1, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Peebee
(@peebee)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1406
29/03/2021 9:41 am  

@tv, could be. I made the neck pocket template quite long. I then put the neck in position and the fit the neck pocket jig over the top and slid it back along the body until it was tight against the neck, took away the neck and marked the body so that I could affix the template in the correct place. I think what I could have done is then moved the template just slightly further back and so narrowing the pocket to allow for router bit run out etc.

I will give this a try on some scrap, I’ll video it and post, maybe at some point this week.

Give up the news folks, it’s liberating!

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 4017
29/03/2021 10:39 am  

funky looking ply soon

Hi Eddie, I'm not sure which ply you mean. Could you give some more details of what you need?

Darren

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3