82 Likes
Seth
 Seth
(@seth)
Active Member Customer
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 81
Topic starter  

So I realized this after cutting the neck slot on my LP style body that I shouldn’t have made it the same size as the neck, I should have made it more narrow and the cut a channel in the neck to go over the side that has the cutaway, the neck fits and will glue in nicely, but I hate the lip on the side of the neck.  The question is should I leave it or cut it off? If i cut it off will I loose the side support causing the neck to shift over time? Am i just overthinking it? What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

BC02C66B 842E 4447 8940 4668BC79A082
1CAC63DF A5A1 4876 B8B6 D52688007F1A

Deej, mark bailey, tv1 and 7 people reacted
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

Hi Seth

The question is should I leave it or cut it off?

I'm maybe not the best person to answering you. My first build is also based on a les paul style. I had the opposite problem, I overdid the body cutaway and cut into the neck pocket area, I'll post a photo tomorrow. If you just widen your body cutaway along your pencil line, then you'll have what I intended to do. The neck will still be restrained at the pickup cavity.

Deej, tv1, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Seth
 Seth
(@seth)
Active Member Customer
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

@robin yes please post a picture!  Yeah that’s what I’m leaning towards doing, im just wondering if it’s enough support after watching a repair video that had mentioned something about necks leaning towards the cutaway if there wasn’t enough support

Deej, tv1, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

If you're thinking of cutting the side lip where you've drawn the pencil line (ie extending the shape of the cutaway), then - on that side - you'll still have as much glued surface as on a typical double-cut style.

What I don't know is whether the uneven sides would allow any neck movement through time. 

I guess anything that's reduces the contact area is a potential area of weakness, but you'd only be reducing the side contact area on that side by about 1/3rd - the rest of the neck tenon will still be stuck into the body, and if it's a good tight fit ...

Depends on how much you dislike that side lip!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Seth, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

@seth

@robin yes please post a picture!  

Here are some photos of my neck pocket and cutaway showing how iv'e tried to blend in the step where I'd cut too far. I'd also taken a lump out of the outer end of the at the neck pocket when I was routing the radius on the back. Don't let the router guide bearing fall into the neck pocket.

20201015 110953
20201015 111017
20201015 111042

Deej, tv1, Seth and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@Seth

I would remove some wood back to almost the cut away, just enough so that playing the high notes is comfortable. Whichever style you are building - set neck or bolt on if you have made a sound joint it should be ok. Yours looks good as the neck extends into the pick up cavity. Check out some photos of commercial guitars like the Stratocaster, they have very little wood on the cut away side.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, tv1, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Check out some photos of commercial guitars like the Stratocaster, they have very little wood on the cut away side.

@rocknroller912 Yeah I would agree with that, there are plenty of guitars with very little support in that area of the neck pocket. I think so long as the neck gets glued in well, it should stay there, I can’t see how it would move. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Deej, Rocknroller912, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

@boo

I think so long as the neck gets glued in well, it should stay there, I can’t see how it would move. 

That's what I'm thinking too. In my mind the string tension is trying to pull the neck up out of the socket, not sideways. Iv'e not glued my neck in yet, so time will tell.

Deej, Boo, Rocknroller912 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

@Seth - It's fine - many guitars are made exactly like this. You can leave it on but I think its better to trim off the excess so it blends in smoothly to the neck as you suggested. Looking good!

Measure twice, cut once...

Boo, Deej, Seth and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Seth
 Seth
(@seth)
Active Member Customer
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

Thank you everyone, I appreciate all your help. 

Boo, Deej, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: