110 Likes
Seth
 Seth
(@seth)
Active Member Customer
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 81
Topic starter  

Im going through the courses while making my first build, Mark had mentioned side grain runout causes a week point in the neck, which sucks because the piece of maple i though was great is now causing me concern. Do you guys think it will be ok? Anything i can do to strengthen it? 

ADCB9CB4 4903 447E 8AF9 0B35FFC6D4E6

Deej, Clinton, Russ and 7 people reacted
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

Hi Seth, I can see a little bit of a grain wobble to left hand side of the photo but there is nothing shown that makes me think that you’ve go a duff piece of wood. Maple is already extremely strong in its own right and remember that you are then going to glue on a fingerboard made of ebony, rosewood or some other very hard wood which will add considerably to the overall strength. Unless someone else can spot something I’ve missed I’d say it looks fine.

Deej, Russ, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Seth
 Seth
(@seth)
Active Member Customer
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

@darrenking thanks, that’s what i was hoping to hear, I will proceed forward then.  the worse case scenario is the neck does break, so this will be a bolt on lol

Deej, tv1, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813

Do you guys think it will be ok?

@seth It will be fine, don’t worry about it. As @darrenking has mentioned, Maple is strong and with the fretboard and a truss rod, there will be plenty of rigidity. Lots of manufacturers use flat sawn maple from Canada, as @markbailey explained in one of the live streams. From the picture, there doesn’t appear to be anything out of the ordinary with your chosen piece. Like you have said, if anything does occur, you can just make another one, it’s all good fun, don’t panic! Keep posting pictures so we can see how you progress. Have fun! 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Deej, Russ, Seth and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@seth

The rough bit of grain looks like it's on the part you are cutting out so you probably won't know until the shape is roughed out. If it goes through to the cut line then getting a smooth finish could be a problem. Wood problems go with the job so even if you buy from a quality supplier you sometimes don't know until you start working as there can be hidden pockets below the surface. A reputable supplier might exchange problem pieces.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, Boo, Seth and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

HI @Seth

I'd echo what the guys above have said.

That looks like a really nicely patterned piece of timber.  Should look really good when carved and finished. 

The strong grain pattern on this piece highlights the runout.  But you'll probably have the same sort of runout on many neck blanks that were turned into perfectly good necks without anyone worrying, because the pattern wasn't anywhere near so visible.  Compare your maple blank to something like mahogany - you have to really look hard to see the pattern in some pieces of mahogany.

So, I'd say don't worry. Carry on and make that into the stunning neck!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Rocknroller912, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16787

Hi Seth

I'm also on my first build and following Mark's course, looks like I'm at much the same stage as you. I'm doing a mahogany set neck for my first build.

20200924 153003

Deej, Seth, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Seth
 Seth
(@seth)
Active Member Customer
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

@robin NICE! Yeah i just did the rough cuts for the shapes this morning before work. I couldn’t make up my mind of what to make, so im making two at the same time, both have mahogany bodies but one is a 25” scale 22 fret with a mahogany set neck and the other is going to be a 21 fret with a 23.75” scale and bolt on maple neck, i will post some pictures when i get off work.

Deej, Rocknroller912, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

@seth

I couldn’t make up my mind of what to make, so im making two at the same time,

That’s the way to do it!!!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Boo, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

so im making two at the same time

@seth  I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your first build, I don't think I could cope with two at the same time. Iv'e got my body partly made, its a semi hollow pine with a mahogany cap. Have a look at my post "First practice build" if you want to see my trials and tribulations. 

Deej, Seth, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4954

@seth Maple is tough, you should be ok.

tv1, Deej, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Seth
 Seth
(@seth)
Active Member Customer
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

all cut out and ready for final cuts with the router.

A537D64B C042 43A8 9E84 580B23AB9A9F

Deej, Rocknroller912, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813

all cut out and ready for final cuts with the router.

@seth Wow! Interesting looking builds there, very nice! 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Deej, Seth, Deej and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

@seth  Looking good. Working on the dining room table, excellent. 

tv1, Deej, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: