4 Users
46 Likes
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547
Topic starter  

Got some wood to practice using my handplaners and make scarf joints, etc...
It is roughly cut and some pieces are probably unusable as a real neck because of knots.

Maybe a few laminated necks with what is left, who knows?

I have no clue which wood it is, some pieces, I think, are mahogany, but for the rest I don't know 😜 

neckblanks B stock

mattbeels, Tej, cheesewhisk and 11 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@koendb Wow! Have fun. 🤘😁🤘🎸

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Koendb, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

It looks like you've got a couple of interesting pieces of timber there.

The second one looks like walnut with a bit of flame in it, and the fourth one (counting from the left) also looks to have some interesting figuring to it - maybe some birdseye maple?

The rest - as you say - are probably more generic mahogany/sapele (the darker ones).  Not sure what the lighter ones are, but don't look to be anything super-special.

With the walnut and birdseye, I'd probably put those to one side and use them for more special purposes in due course.  Maybe some cavity covers (you might need to practice your jointing skills to make pieces large enough for those!) or fretboards, or headstock veneers, or maybe even some other uses that I'm hoping to work through with the CNC in the next couple of weeks ...

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Russ, Koendb and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

The rest - as you say - are probably more generic mahogany/sapele (the darker ones).  Not sure what the lighter ones are, but don't look to be anything super-special.

Yeah I think I will try to keep 2 or 3 pieces for practicing, all the rest will be stashed , the big mahogany/sapele block is enough to cut 2 necks from.

With the walnut and birdseye, I'd probably put those to one side and use them for more special purposes in due course.  Maybe some cavity covers (you might need to practice your jointing skills to make pieces large enough for those!) or fretboards, or headstock veneers,

Some of them are perhaps great candidates to cut up in small strips to make laminated necks.

Thanks for the ideas @tv101

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

Some of them are perhaps great candidates to cut up in small strips to make laminated necks.

@koendb have you made laminated necks before, this is on my “to do” list after my first build. Partly due to the excellent look I’ve seen from the results but also seems like a good way to use smaller pieces of wood for something good!!! 

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Russ, tv1, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

have you made laminated necks before,

No @tej, I have only started working on wood just recently, so everything I do at this moment is a first. Since I dont have scrap wood to practice on, I decided to buy some B grade random neck blanks. ( Pretty cheap too , these 9 blanks costed me about 70€ , including shipping. )

Russ, tv1, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: