162 Likes
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383
Topic starter  

@darrenking

I'm thinking of buying some of the fret scale templates that you've made but am not sure if they would fit into the set up that I already have. Can you tell me how wide they are please. I don't want to buy the complete system as mine only two years old

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

Hi Rocknroller, the template is 75mm wide (same as Stewmac templates) but it would need you drill holes in your existing jig to correspond to the position of rows of holes in my templates. Are you able to do this?

darren

Deej, tv1, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@darrenking

Thanks Darren I will check mine tomorrow but this sounds good. Drilling holes in mine shouldn't be a problem.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

I might even have a section of prototype or reject template that I can send you to use to align the holes. I’ll have a look tomorrow.

Darren

Deej, tv1, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@darrenking

Thanks that would be helpful

tv1, Boo, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Hi Rocknroller,

Yes, 75mm wide and yes, I can send a drilling template to help you position the holes in your jig if this would be useful. Just order the template(s) you want from Mark and Carol and I will ship it(them) out directly to you.

Cheers

Darren

Deej, tv1, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@darren

Thanks I will check the site, see which ones I need and put in an order today. My mitre box was from Tonetech which is I think similar to Stew Mac but didn't have any templates included.

Also I think you mentioned somewhere that you can make radius dishes. I'm looking for a 28ft radius please if that would be possible as I'm building two acoustics at the moment. I can pay by Pay Pal, bank transfer or credit card over the phone.

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Hi, ok, no problem. Let me check with M&C how they want to deal with the radius dish order as we haven’t discussed pricing for this product yet. 

My standard size would be 650mm diameter circular (the size that fits on my powered dish sander) but I could also make them at 600mm square if you prefer. Having used both I find that the larger circular ones give a much more comfortable area when using them for sanding so this would always be choice. They would be made from 25mm thick moisture resistant MDF and I have self adhesive sanding disks that I can supply if you need them.

If you can me know your delivery address (town should do it) and I can confirm the delivery cost.

Cheers

Darren

Deej, tv1, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@darrenking

Thanks 650mm will be ok and I would need a sanding disc as well please. I live in Annan SW Scotland DG12. If ordering through M&C they have my full details in the members area. I've ordered the fret scales.

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Hi Rocknroller,

I have been thinking about the best way to machine this dish for you and from a cost point of view the most economical would be to make it 600mm square but for the dish machining to be at 700mm diameter. In other words you still end up with a greater radiused surface than if it were a 600mm circular dish but save on the cost of materials. I have attached a diagram to explain what I mean. Does this make sense?

Do you also need a sanding disk or do you have your own sand paper? I have P60 or P80 if you want me to stick it on for you.

Cheers

Darren

Screen Shot 2021 02 16 at 13.06.55

Deej, tv1, Rocknroller912 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@darrenking

Yes that makes sense from the diagram. I will need an 80 grit disc please but if you leave it loose I can attach it myself.

Thanks

Bill

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Hi Rocknroller,

I'll check the price but I think the 760mm diameter P80 self adhesive disks come in at around £30 each. You could just stick on strips if you prefer, you get quite a lot of sandpaper on a roll for £30, just let me know. The dish itself will be £50. I am just waiting to hear back from Carol but I think the plan would be that you order from GMUK and I then ship everything direct to you from here.

Cheers

Darren

Deej, tv1, Rocknroller912 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@darrenking

Thanks I will just go for the disc on its own and use strips of 80 grit for sanding as I already have a 50 metre roll. Did realise the sanding discs are so expensive. £50 is a good price compared to other sellers I will be happy with that.

Thanks

Bill

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Hi Bill,

I don't blame you. I think big disks are so dear because of the amount of waste form the main abrasive rolls that they are cut from, which I think come in at about 1300mm wide. Even staggering them you get a lot of offcut which just goes in the skip. How wide is your abrasive roll?

Darren

Deej, tv1, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@darrenking

My 80grit roll is 4 inches wide so I shouldn't need too many strips to cover it. I've had it since 1988 and it never seems to get any smaller. Mostly I use planes and scrapers. 

ReplyQuote
Share: