400 Likes
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385
Topic starter  

Evening you lovely people! My dream build that I’ll eventually make will need to have much more excitement on the fret board than some dots. I’ve a few ideas that I want to try but wanted to understand from anyone’s experience the best way to start learning marquetry. I expect this will be a long running side project until the point where I can achieve what’s in my head!

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Koendb, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tej 

Marquetry is different to fretboard inlays, it’s contrasting pieces of cross grained wood traditionally fixed in with hot hide glue. Tracing paper can be used for both to draw the shape, so for a fretboard it’s cut out and glued to the inlay material then cut out with a jewellers fine saw on a V shaped cutting block.
I can take a photo of mine tomorrow to show you what it’s like. It’s a difficult technique and takes a lots of practice so buy blades by the dozen because they break easily.
Complicated inlays don’t have to be made in one piece and are usually cut out in different pieces inlayed together. The advantage is that if you make a mistake it doesn’t ruin the whole thing.
Mother of Pearl or Abalone are used, which I’m sure you know, but they are unpleasant to work with and brittle. Mark gave a link to a supplier he uses which sells composite sheets of the real stuff bonded together which is much better for a beginner to use and is available in bigger sheets.

http://www.smallwonder-music.co.uk

There is of course a Bailey video on inlay work where Mark shows how to glue inlays to the wood and scribe round them with a point and not a knife. Best if you watch it.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Koendb, mattbeels, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

Here is the video

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Koendb, mattbeels, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 thank you, so much to learn! 

Koendb, Rocknroller912, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 I’ve seen the super glue accelerator used by various people along with liberal use of superglue for inlays and frets. I’m presuming the accelerator evaporates and leaves nothing on the wood? A lot of the time though the glue is shown leaching onto the wood around the hole or fret end. What I’m wondering is how much care needs to actually be taken here as I’d have expected the glue would fill nearby grain etc? Is it just that the stuff dries so thin at the lightest surface sanding will take it off?

Koendb, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Does anyone know where I can get bright yellow (not gold mop) inlay dots please? It could be plastic or any other suitable material really. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Koendb, Tej, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035

@boo
Maybe the gentleman at Small Wonder Music that Mark talks about in the video could supply some in Honey Jasper? That looks pretty yellow on the website.

Koendb, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@jonhodgson Yeah I think I’ll email him, see what he can suggest, thanks. I need something to match this yellow on the pickup, something quite vivid.  

FB99FC16 34BB 44E2 8DFB B75242B01F01

ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier

@boo aren't they a bit subtle for you? they don't glitter!

Koendb, Tej, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier

Hmmm, now there's a thought.. some metal flake in the bottom of the hole, then gluboost tinted yellow.

Bit expensive for a one off though.

Koendb, Tej, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

aren't they a bit subtle for you? they don't glitter!

@jonhodgson 🤣✨✨✨ It’s not for me so I have to go with what my customer wants. 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Hmmm, now there's a thought.. some metal flake in the bottom of the hole, then gluboost tinted yellow.

@jonhodgson Well, I’ve got this epoxy resin and a load of pigments which have a shimmer to them. This may have to be the solution. 
Ive just had a reply from Small Wonder and he doesn’t have anything suitable but suggested using some plastic from a kids toy or similar. 

9244B12D 0BCF 40D6 88E0 066C575B0C4C
DFF1020E CCB8 4774 8BA0 1951EA2B0575
0E5CE2AC 48A9 42EA 84D9 7F82F4748CC2

ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier

@boo

It's a boo guitar, I think you need to sneak a little shimmer in there!

Koendb, Tej, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

It's a boo guitar, I think you need to sneak a little shimmer in there!

@jonhodgson Fair enough. 🤣

Koendb, Tej, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

I don’t use superglue for inlays or anything else if I can avoid it. Always stick my fingers together and there are so many different varieties, so if your not in a hurry use ordinary white glue it gives you more time to line everything up. Superglue is instant so if the inlay is not level you are stuck. I think there was a post like this a few days ago.

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

When I learned bow making we had to cut our own dots from flat sheet. You could try google for model shops, there’s loads. They have all sorts of plastic sheet and some do custom work. Circle punches work on plastic.

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

Here is the the kind of thing you need to cut inlays. I got mine from Cookson Gold by post.

FCF1E244 C746 42F6 B67D 54B201335FAB

B57E35F6 A930 41D8 B417 7E074D8C6D1D

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

I don’t use superglue for inlays or anything else if I can avoid it.

@rocknroller912 so the way the lesson shows putting frets in seemed to involve dropping superglue down until the gap is filled, surely white/yellow glue simply isn’t thin enough for using like that so how do you go about gluing in ferrets?

Koendb, Boo, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 frets, not ferrets.

Edit function!?!?!?

Koendb, Boo, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

Everybody has different methods. I don’t glue frets in unless it’s an acoustic re fret over the sound box where I can’t press or hammer, although I should say I’m changing some of my methods after watching Mark’s videos.
To get white glue in a small slot I would squeeze some on a flat surface and pick it up with a thin craft knife, snap off blade type. Superglue probably is better I’m just not good at using it.
If I’m doing a re fret and I get a fret end that won’t stay down because the slot is enlarged, I make a small hacksaw cut in the tang and use pliers to pull out a barb. The reason I’m not keen on glue is that when re fretting you have to apply heat to soften it and get the old frets out.
I don’t use Titebond for some jobs either because it’s too permanent and a failed glue joint is easier to repair than a wood tear.
Because most of my instrument work has been repairs rather than making new I tend to look at things a different way.

Koendb, Boo, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: