Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 3622
03/05/2021 1:54 pm  

@boo

When I learned bow making we had to cut our own dots from flat sheet. You could try google for model shops, there’s loads. They have all sorts of plastic sheet and some do custom work. Circle punches work on plastic.

Don’t call us we’ll call you

Tej, Boo, mattbeels and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
03/05/2021 2:58 pm  

@tej

Here is the the kind of thing you need to cut inlays. I got mine from Cookson Gold by post.

FCF1E244 C746 42F6 B67D 54B201335FAB

B57E35F6 A930 41D8 B417 7E074D8C6D1D

Tej, Boo, mattbeels and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1768
03/05/2021 9:47 pm  

I don’t use superglue for inlays or anything else if I can avoid it.

@rocknroller912 so the way the lesson shows putting frets in seemed to involve dropping superglue down until the gap is filled, surely white/yellow glue simply isn’t thin enough for using like that so how do you go about gluing in ferrets?

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Boo, Russ and mattbeels liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
03/05/2021 9:50 pm  

@rocknroller912 frets, not ferrets.

Edit function!?!?!?

ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
03/05/2021 10:42 pm  

@tej

Everybody has different methods. I don’t glue frets in unless it’s an acoustic re fret over the sound box where I can’t press or hammer, although I should say I’m changing some of my methods after watching Mark’s videos.
To get white glue in a small slot I would squeeze some on a flat surface and pick it up with a thin craft knife, snap off blade type. Superglue probably is better I’m just not good at using it.
If I’m doing a re fret and I get a fret end that won’t stay down because the slot is enlarged, I make a small hacksaw cut in the tang and use pliers to pull out a barb. The reason I’m not keen on glue is that when re fretting you have to apply heat to soften it and get the old frets out.
I don’t use Titebond for some jobs either because it’s too permanent and a failed glue joint is easier to repair than a wood tear.
Because most of my instrument work has been repairs rather than making new I tend to look at things a different way.

Boo, mattbeels, Tej and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1680
04/05/2021 3:30 am  

@rocknroller912 the glue in the fret slots isn't to hold the fret in (or at least it shouldn't be), it's to solidify and stiffen the fretboard.

Boo, Russ, mattbeels and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
04/05/2021 5:05 am  

@rocknroller912 makes sense, I can’t say it’s one of the bits of the Build I’m looking forward to honestly. Mostly when I’ve used the stuff whatever it’s in seems to seal up part way through squeezing the stuff out then I’ve ended up with half a job done. Something for me to practice first.

@jonhodgson Interesting point, honestly hadn’t considered that!

ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1680
04/05/2021 11:20 am  

Interesting point, honestly hadn’t considered that!

@Tej I must watch more videos than you do, it's a pretty common opinion. I've actually never heard a professional luthier say the glue was needed to hold the fret in (though there may be some), but heard a number say it is to strengthen the fretboard. We wouldn't need to use narrow kerf saws and hammers or presses if we were going to rely on glue. These days glues are available which are more than strong enough to do the job on their own, as demonstrated by the one exception to the rule, Parker. Their frets were tangless and glued ON TOP of the fretboard (they must have had some precision jig for holding them in place).

Some luthiers (And a little guitar company you may have heard of called PRS) actually press all the frets in without glue, and then flood the slot from the end with water thin CA glue, which gets sucked in by capillary action.

Ben Crowe has tried various methods in his videos over the years. He used to be a medium thick CA in the slot first kind of guy (and that is what was taught on their courses when I went there to do a refret), then in a couple of his timed builds he decided to use the PRS method to save a bit of time. He's currently back on putting glue in the slot first (he's not in a rush on his current build) but he's switched to using Alcolin glue (which it seems is Titebond-NumberYouCannotBuyHere made under license in South Africa) because the cleanup is much easier (just a damp rag). 

ReplyReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2