12 Likes
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

I am doing a bit more work on my electric 'Maccaferri' and it is clear that I need to have a reduced width tenon neck joint rather than the full width of the neck. Does anyone know roughly how much body material needs to be left on the cutaway side of the body in order to be structurally sound? Online images suggest maybe 8-10mm but I wondered if there was any members advice based on real life experience.

Cheers

Darren

IMG 1529

Robin and Robin reacted
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Last time I did a LP style neck tenon I made it 30mm wide (the tenon)

It doesn't really matter how much is left on the treble side if it is a solid body as there is enough strength all round from everywhere else.

It could even be wafer thin like it would be with a standard neck joint as shown on the course - it is much easier to make the neck slot the full width of the neck - maybe not as neat...

Measure twice, cut once...

Russ, Robin, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112
Topic starter  

Hi Mark, thanks for rapid response! That is actually narrower than I thought and I can afford to leave a couple of mm more than this in the tenon and still have 10mm of body material on the treble side. My concern with this being left too thin wasn't the strength of the joint but whether the body would stand up to the machining.

Cheers

Darren

Russ, Robin, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

I would deliberately machine the body slightly wide and finish with a spindle sander (or by hand) to make it flow into the side of the neck...maybe a subject for another video...!

Measure twice, cut once...

Russ and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: