106 Likes
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385
Topic starter  

Morning all, do any of you have experience of using machine wax on bandsaw or table saw beds? What’s your verdict if you have?

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 5 people reacted
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tej

Are you thinking of any particular brand ? I’ve used Lubo Wax which is petroleum based but now I use silicon grease spray for lubricating machine parts as it’s not greasy, dries and wood dust doesn’t stick to it. Don’t breath in in though wear a mask when spraying and do outside if you can. Any parts the you might want to glue or finish will be affected by residue from lubricants.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Boo, mattbeels, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

Any parts the you might want to glue or finish will be affected by residue from lubricants.

@rocknroller912 that was my main concern, this one states that it’s not silicone based and doesn’t Mark or penetrate the wood. That said I can’t think of anything where I’ve applied finish to a machined surface without sanding.

Boo, mattbeels, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

Sounds like it will be ok. I don’t use a lot of machines but cleaning sticky wood residue is the same on any tool even a hand saw, so if it does that no worries. I only use silicone on parts that don’t touch the wood like gear wheels and non painted metal, lathe bed etc.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Boo, mattbeels, Tej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 might give it a go and see what it’s like.

Engineering or wood lathe?

Boo, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

Ive got a big wood lathe which I cut down because it was too big and a small engineering lathe that I’ve used for pen making and some tools.

Boo, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

I need to look for a product like that as well cause I’m definitely not going to be spraying silicone on my bandsaw table, fook that! 

Practice on scrap...

Tej, Rocknroller912, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

machine wax on bandsaw or table saw beds?

If you are finding that the beds are getting a bit ‘grippy’ then one option is to give them a very fine sanding and polish or you could also try just sticking a sheet of 0.8mm thick high pressure laminate (eg Formica) down onto them with NEC tape (other exhibition centres are available!). This stuff is super hard, very slippy and easy to replace or remove if you need to.

Tej, Russ, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813

I’ll just chip in my bit about silicone. Not only will it cause problems with bonding wood, it will definitely cause massive problems for paint. Paint and silicone are polar opposites, they will never get along so if you want to spray anything, 🚫⚠️DO NOT USE SILICONE⚠️🚫

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Tej, Rocknroller912, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

engineering lathe

@rocknroller912 jealous of that one, I’ve a tiny hobby size wood lathe, engineering lathes seem prohibitively expensive for one that’s worth having. Arguably I’ve actually no sensible justification for buying one either 🤔

Boo, mattbeels, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

you could also try just sticking a sheet of 0.8mm thick high pressure laminate (eg Formica) down onto them with NEC tape 

This also gives you a zero clearance insert so that’s cool but wouldn’t constant use interfere with dust extraction? I’m thinking of a bandsaw here...

Practice on scrap...

Tej, Boo, Tej and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

but wouldn’t constant use interfere with dust extraction?

Hi Matt, I doubt it. The air flow on bandsaw extraction generally happens below the table and they are so far from being sealed systems, if anything, the addition of the zero clearance layer on the bad would probably help a little with extraction efficiency.

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

🚫⚠️DO NOT USE SILICONE⚠️🚫

I have a spray finisher and powder coated in the unit next to me and they have problems if the car repair company, 50m away, is having a day of heavy silicone lubricant spray usage. It can travel a long way, on even a slight breeze, and is a bloody nightmare for sprayed lacquers.

Russ, mattbeels, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813

I have a spray finisher and powder coated in the unit next to me and they have problems if the car repair company, 50m away, is having a day of heavy silicone lubricant spray usage. It can travel a long way, on even a slight breeze, and is a bloody nightmare for sprayed lacquers.

@darrenking Yep, absolute nightmare. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Russ, mattbeels, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

My wood lathe isn’t much above hobby level but I’ve made some good stuff on it. My metal lathe is Axminster C1 just the correct size for what I need and can be used for small jobs without lubricating fluids all over the place

Russ, mattbeels, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

The air flow on bandsaw extraction generally happens below the table and they are so far from being sealed systems

@darrenking I used some self adhesive P profile door seal around my band saw so it now gets fairly reasonable suction. Nothing you can really do with the top of the blade area though. 
I’ve a wide extra table top I use for cutting circles on wider material and it’s untimely zero clearance, with that on the dust collection really isn’t great. Get a lot of dust on top of the table.

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: