Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28642
Topic starter  

Hello Peeps,

It's been a long slow journey with many hurdles to get over........one of them being no space to build in. I've been on this Forum for over a year now..... still no guitar wood cut.Β 

The offer of a friend's workshop hasn't quite materialised yet so inspired by @robin, I've decided to convert my wee 8'x6' garden shed into my workspace.🏚️

I've fully insulated it and installed a worktop. I even painted the inside a bright yellow to make it feel like the sun is shining even through the dark winter days🌄. Now I just need to find somewhere to put all my stuff to make room for me.Β 

Now that most of the hurdles have been overcome, hopefully I'll get on with the job of building of guitars.... although I imagine there will be a few more hurdles to come.Β 

Stay Tuned.

🎶🙂🎸🙏

PXL 20211010 153154729
PXL 20211010 153021179

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

cheesewhisk, tv1, mattbeels and 15 people reacted
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@russ Love it, are you tooled up so to speak or do you need to go shopping before you can start the build?Β 
Have you designed what you plan to make, I don’t recall seeing any plans?

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier

@russ one other thing please make sure there is ventilation in the shed so you don’t get trouble with damp and mould?Β 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@russ Wow! Big news and a big step forward. You’re getting closer Russ, it looks great. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tej

@russ Love it, are you tooled up so to speak or do you need to go shopping before you can start the build?Β 
Have you designed what you plan to make, I don’t recall seeing any plans?

Thanks @tej.

I've got the basic tools that Mark recommends to do the job. My first build will be Mark's Bandsman design following his course step by step. I've already got the bits and pieces from him.Β 

There's a few other designs floating around my brain but let's see how I get on with this one first.Β 

🙏🎸🙂🎶

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @boo

@russ Wow! Big news and a big step forward. You’re getting closer Russ, it looks great. 👍

Cheers @boo.

It's been a long time coming. Thanks for all the support and encouragement. It's been a great inspiration watching all the work you've been doing........and all the other guy and girls on here.

🎶🙂🎸🙏

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tej

@russ one other thing please make sure there is ventilation in the shed so you don’t get trouble with damp and mould?

I'm glad you've mentioned that @tej. I've been reading all about this very thing. I'm a wee bit perplexed as to how insulation and ventilation work together.

If I put in vents won't this make the shed colder?Β 

🙏🎸🙂🎶

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier

Posted by: @russ

My first build will be Mark's Bandsman design following his course step by step

@russ you won’t be disappointed, I think as well if you’re using the kit from Mark you’ll avoid some of the mistakes I made due to different sized parts/tweaking the design etc. There’s a reason he tells people to just follow the course to the letter first time around 🙂 Very much like how you’ve said β€œfirst build” definitely reads first of many 🙂

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@russ

Your work space is looking good but you have picked the hardest time of year to start.Β 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rocknroller912

@russ

Your work space is looking good but you have picked the hardest time of year to start.

Your right @rocknroller912.

Timing hasn't been kind. I'm hoping for some nice crisp dry weather. I know it's still not the best of conditions to be working in but better than wet and windy.Β 

🎶🙂🎸🙏

Β 

tv1, mattbeels, Tej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@russ

I work in my garage and don’t have any heating. Sometimes I plug in a dehumidifier to clear the damp.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912

I don't have any fixed power in the shed. I have to run a cable from the house......maybe one day I'll put some armoured cable in.

I've got a little heater but I can only put it on when I'm in there. I am a bit worried about damp so I might invest in a dehumidifier.

🙏🎸🙂🎶

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@russ you should definitely get an electrician to install power in your workshop, it will make life a lot easier. Using extension leads is ok for now but it’s such a pain.Β 

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@russ you should definitely get an electrician to install power in your workshop, it will make life a lot easier. Using extension leads is ok for now but it’s such a pain.

I'm giving it some serious thought @boo. You're right, it would make life a lot easier.Β 

🎶🙂🎸🙏

tv1, mattbeels, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

Nice @Russ! Must be a nice feeling to own a proper place to build guitars..
Are you going to make cabinets and drawers and such in there too? Β Β 

I am also setting up my workshop at the moment. But is not nearly as clean looking as yours.

you should definitely get an electrician to install power in your workshop,

I agree. We had an electrician setup the power to the shed up to a fusebox, I just finished wiring the lighting and connected to the correct fuse. Now I need to get myself another fuse for the power plugs, etc.. but I am glad we did ask an electrician to do that work for us, first,Β  it is done properly, and second, it passed inspection and thus properly certified.

Once I have my shed set up completely I 'll make a little thread about it with pics, not want to hijack your thread here. 😉

So @Russ now you dont have an excuse anymore, go build a guitar ! 😊 🍾 🥂 👍Β 

Whooo You know what? The EDIT function Works! Thanks @thepath

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thanks @koendb.Β 

It is nice to finally have a space to work in even if it is tiny. The pictures make it look a lot bigger than it is.......and I'm sure it won't stay clean for very long.Β 

I will have to give it some thought on what kind of storage to put in.Β 

Fixed power would be nice..... I'll get saving the pennies.

🙏🎸🙂🎶

tv1, mattbeels, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

@russΒ 

The offer of a friend's workshop hasn't quite materialised yet so inspired by@robin, I've decided to convert my wee 8'x6' garden shed into my workspace.🏚️

Congratulations on your new workspace, what a nice warm feeling it is to have been inspirational. I think the secret to working in a small space is to try to keep it tidy, not that I've managed that. For storage, I bought some plastic boxes with hinged lids to keep the sawdust out, they're kept on shelves under the benches. I try to work outside if I'm doing a lot of routing or sanding and have a tarpaulin handy to throw over my stuff when the rain starts.Β 

tv1, Koendb, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thank you @robin.

Your right, if I manage to keep it tidy and get creative with the storage space, I think I could be fairly comfortable in there. I've got a nice wee space outside the shed that I can work in during the better weather days too.Β 

🙏🎸🙂🎶

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Hello again Peeps,

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about storing my power tools and hand tools in my shed over the winter months. All the power tools still have there original cases.Β 

There's no heating on other than when I'm using the shed. It's well insulated and will soon be properly ventilated.

Has anyone ever used these? Are they any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Indicating-Dehumidifier-Desiccant-Reusable-Canisters/dp/B08NCZRHV2/ref=asc_df_B08NCZRHV2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=484614282626&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8650417883448358753&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007383&hvtargid=pla-1061190208042&psc=1 Β 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B098R6552V/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Β 

🎶🙂🎸🙏

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Posted by: @russ

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about storing my power tools and hand tools in my shed over the winter months. All the power tools still have there original cases.Β 

There's no heating on other than when I'm using the shed. It's well insulated and will soon be properly ventilated.

Has anyone ever used these? Are they any good?

@russ No, I haven’t used them or even seen them before. It looks interesting though.Β 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share: