Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Neck Binding - Process (radius, sanding, etc)

10 Posts
4 Users
118 Likes
Lemonshoes
(@lemonshoes)
New Member Customer
Enthusiast
Rep Points: 27
Topic starter  

Hello,

I apologize if this has come up before. I did a quick search but didn't find anything.

I have a nice chunk of Black Limba which I'm planning to use for an LP style body. I'll likely be ordering a maple neck blank and a fingerboard from the site soon. I am hoping to put some binding on the neck, maybe cream or white.

My question is: is it fine to get the pre-radiused (12 inch) fingerboard from the site and then route the binding channel / install the binding once I receive it? Or is it better to route/install binding on a flat/non-radiused fingerboard? I am not planning on doing the nibs, so i plan on undercutting the tangs to fit over the binding. if installed on a pre-radiused fretboard, i understand that I would have to file down/sand the binding to be flush with the fretboard. I guess this is where I'm wondering if this would cause any problems?

Thanks for the help!

Deej, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@lemonshoes

I think if you installed binding on a non radius fretboard and then tried to radius it the binding would probably get damaged. For installing undercut frets on a radius FB my steps would be.

Plane the FB edges and taper to size then remove the binding width on each side by planing, or whatever method suits you.

Glue the fretboard using Mark’s method of drilling small holes for locating pins through two fret slots, making sure it’s centred on the neck.

Glue the binding and level it with the FB top.

Finish the neck level with the binding 

Install under cut frets.

Im sure other people will have a different way and there is bound to be a video on the site somewhere.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, mattbeels, Boo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@lemonshoes

Forgot to say, if it’s your first build undercut frets are hard to do and it’s easy to spoil the binding. Are you planning to cut them to length first or file the edges after installing. 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, mattbeels, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Lemonshoes
(@lemonshoes)
New Member Customer
Enthusiast
Topic starter  

My thinking on the process was something like this:

Route binding channel

Install/glue binding on the neck

Use fret tang nippers for cut the excess binding height above the fretboard to get it relatively level. Then sand/file the binding to get level with the radius of fretboard. (this is the step I was worried would potentially mess up the radius on the fretboard)

Measure the frets to size, undercut frets slightly so the tangs don't cut into binding. 

Use a bit of glue on the remaining tang of each fret and install them. 

Level, dress file frets

This is my first build, yea. So I guess I'm a bit worried I'm taking on too much, but I'd like to learn how to do neck binding... If I fail the first time, well, there will always be another neck to build , lol. 

Deej, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@lemonshoes

To route a binding channel there has to be a reference point for the router guide bearing ot a straight edge to work from, so I don’t know how you would get this unless you finished the neck first. I’m sure that Mark has demonstrated how to do this on his utube channel. I will have a look and see if I can find it.

Robin, Deej, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Lemonshoes
(@lemonshoes)
New Member Customer
Enthusiast
Topic starter  

Sorry if I was a bit unclear about that. The fretboard would be on the neck when I route the channel. The neck would still be flat on the sides, i.e.,  not carved yet. So the side of the neck would be the flat reference point. Is this the wrong way to do it?

tv1, Robin, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

there is bound to be a video on the site somewhere

@rocknroller912

Good one mate 😉

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Robin, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@lemonshoes

Its not the way I would do it, but you should get some more opinions on here before starting. There are some very experienced builders on here who use power tools a lot and I mostly use hand tools. 

tv1, Robin, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

@lemonshoes

the last time I did it I did the fretboard as is and cut the slots and basic radius. Put onto the neck taper template and cut the shape. Then while on use a router bit to cut the same template shape but in by about 3-4mm. 

I can’t remember if I took off the template to glut the binding on or kept it on but used pins as clamps then sanded the binding to the fretboard and did final radiusing befor fretting. It  was under @markbailey showed me but it was a few years ago. I wanted to try it but too much of a faff...😃

You can see a little in this build vid from 0:06-0:36. Hopefully this is of some help?

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

tv1, Robin, Rocknroller912 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@lemonshoes

If you’re taking out the full membership then Mark will keep you right about the correct steps. It’s worth it not to waste any materials.

mattbeels, tv1, Deej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: