9 Users
222 Likes
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

I’d store them on slats to let air get round them also try and I’ve heard to seal the ends or it will crack/split as they dry.

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

tv1, Petersoyanov, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

If you try to dry logs in the round you will end up with a big pile of firewood!! You have to get it cut into slabs otherwise the whole log will just be full of checks and splits. Find someone local with a portable bandsaw mill and get them to come out and do this for in situ. You will also need to paint the ends of the planks and then stack them with 25mm-30mm sticke between them to allow airflow and either keep under cover or just tie a tarp over the top (but making sure there is still airflow to the ends or sides. I shouldn't cost a huge amount to have it cut like this but it will ensure that the wood has a chance to dry out evenly without splitting.

Petersoyanov, Boo, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Petersoyanov
(@petersoyanov)
Estimable Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 243

@darrenking, @david-johnson09 Thanks guys. I will call my neighbor to cut them next week. Have to figure out somewhere to keep them for the winter... 

Don't grow up! It's a trap!

tv1, Deej, tv1 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Petersoyanov
(@petersoyanov)
Adept

@darrenking, @david-johnson09 Thanks guys. I will call my neighbor to cut them next week. Have to figure out somewhere to keep them for the winter... 

tv1 and tv1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Petersoyanov
(@petersoyanov)
Adept

tv1 and tv1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: