Adam
 Adam
(@pinneradam)
Eminent Member
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 67
Topic starter  

Hiya all, 

I really enjoyed Mark's video on fretting today (thanks Mark!). I've got a question on refrets that I thought some of you might be able to help with.

I'm happy and quite competent with refrets, but I've always wondered what is the best way to flush up the tangs on an instrument, where the edge of the fretboard is unbound and finished in a gloss without scoring the finish to hell, but never been able to get a straight answer.

At the moment the best way I have found is to use my fret leveling file to get close, flushing completely with 1800 grit micro mesh on a stick and tidying up the fine marks on the finish with meguiars mirror glaze. It works fine, but have others that are refretting got better methods? I know a lot of people do this all with files but I cant seem to get the best result that way.

Any helps appreciated!!

tv1, Deej, tv1 and 1 people reacted
Bart Van der Kemp
(@bart-van-der-kemp)
Eminent Member
Adept
Rep Points: 131

Hi Adam,

I have seen Jonny Kinkead using the thin superglue as a lacquer after making the fret ends flush. You can sand and polish it. It’s in a refretting video from that pedal show.
I was also looking for a good solution for the situation that you described.

I did not try it but will certainly do with my next refret.

ReplyQuote
Adam
 Adam
(@pinneradam)
Eminent Member
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 67
Topic starter  

Thanks @bart-van-der-kemp, I'll have a look on you tube for him. I like seeing different ways of doing things. I've been using the glue to fill the gaps under the fret tangs and sanding/polish up so I know that works. 

I found a seriously fine needle which I didnt know I had yesterday, and that seems to be working a treat. Just buffing afterwards to bring it back to a shine. 

ReplyQuote
Share: