22 Likes
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to CAD up the design for a Telecasterish guitar (it has certain differences, 24 frets. marginally smaller body, etc)

The problem is where to locate the bridge plate (Gotoh GT201, 6 saddle, 4 screw mounting, seems to be standard dimensions for a modern style tele bridge plate).

I've found some seemingly very good telecaster plans, but unfortunately the one that gives an actual dimension to the screw hole positions is for the body only (so does the dimension from the neck pocket) which is not the scale length (the screws sit behind the saddle for most of its travel).

I've tried working it out ( e.g. by using another drawing of a neck and adding the distance from nut to pocket screw on one drawing to that from pocket screw to bridge mounting screw on another) but I keep getting an intonation point which is nearly 10mm forward from the screw position, which seems wrong, as it would put the nominal intonation position at the very maximum forward position of the saddle.

Obviously one approach would be to pick a nominal intonation point (e.g. halfway along the saddles' adjustment range) and draw it up accordingly, but the fact that I keep getting similar results (seemingly too big) using different references has me wondering if I'm missing something (or maybe the drawings are not as good as I thought).

Does anybody have a suitable tele or a suitable set of plans that they can measure to tell me how far from the nut the screws of the bridge plate should be?

cheers

Jon

Robin, Koendb, Russ and 3 people reacted
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28600

@jonhodgson

Hi Jon, 

On the plans that I have the back screws are 660mm from the fretboard side of the nut. The front screws seems to be 591mm. Sorry, I had to use a tape measure to measure it but it seems pretty accurate.

Hope this helps 

PXL 20220814 120116565~2

🎶🙂🙏🎸

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Robin, Koendb, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28600

@jonhodgson

...... forgot to mention that it's a 25.5 inch (648mm) scale length. 

🎸🙏🙂🎶

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Robin, Koendb, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jozef Behr
(@jozefbehr)
Estimable Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 167

Wow looking good design..

Jozef Behr

Koendb, Russ, Koendb and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
maskeryulia@gmail.com
(@maskeryuliagmail-com)
New Member Customer
Rep Points: 3

The information shared by the site is very useful and interesting. I usually watch them for more applicable information

Koendb, Russ, Koendb and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: