52 Likes
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842
Topic starter  

I managed to pull myself away from Christmas and New Year food and drink for long enough to get some time in the workshop today. I was routing a pickup cavity and slipped with the router when lifting it away from the workpiece. This is a common mistake, something I haven’t done for a while now but I still kick myself when I do it. The good thing is that the routing template I made was from 18mm MDF and I used a master, clear Perspex template to make it from. Now I have slipped and damaged the MDF one, I can just make another. I never use master templates on actual work pieces because accidents happen and if/when they do I have only damaged a copy, not the master. And, I wouldn’t want to buy a new template every time made a mistake.Β 

Now I am the master! 🤣

BE12C795 A3A4 45D8 AD5C DCF50AC2EFEB
2EC0EF05 F5EF 45DD 9D50 271941B67C8C
2C2DF451 7312 44CE AB19 958C513210A9

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 3 people reacted
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

The good thing is that the routing template I made was from 18mm MDF and I used a master, clear Perspex template to make it from.

That’s one of the many rule #1s @boo! Β Just don’t let the router slip when you make your next copy template.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Boo, mattbeels, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

You can fix it with car body filler πŸ™‚

Measure twice, cut once...

tv1, Boo, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@boo

Halfords do a car body filler called chemical metal which is good for template repairs. It's harder than the basic stuff and stands up to repeated use with a bearing cutter. Very hard to rub down so only use s much as you need.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28658

Hey Guys,

I'm going to make another set of templates from my master templates. Will it be okay to rout straight through the MDF or will it cause it to rip out?Β 

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Will it be okay to rout straight through the MDF or will it cause it to rip out?Β 

@russ I normally have a sacrificial piece of wood underneath the one I’m cutting/routing. Clamp both pieces down, stick (with NEC tape) your template on top and start routing using a short bit. Cut down 2 or 3mm at a time, go slow. Keep taking layers off until you have routed all the way through. Because you have clamped it down to the sacrificial piece, it prevents tear out.Β 

mattbeels, Russ, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

chemical metal

@rocknroller912 @markbailey Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about a bit of bog! Cheers.Β 

mattbeels, Russ, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28658

Posted by: @

Cheers Boo. Thanks for the help.Β 

🙏🎸🎶🙂

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

tv1, Boo, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

I normally have a sacrificial piece of wood underneath the one I’m cutting/routing.Β 

Good tip @boo

It would probably be easier (and more fun!) to just make a new template then dicking around with Bondo imo but hey, sometimes you gotta fix it!

Β 

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Boo, tv1 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: