92 Likes
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842
Topic starter  

I’ve seen a cool pro mod recently and I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to make the cut (or rather drill). It’s a rather hairy hole to jack! 😁 How would you tackle such a task? 

It’s a hole for the jack socket that is in between the edge and back of the guitar. I think it looks pretty cool and I wouldn’t mind making the cut. 

What do you think @markbailey

I hope you have got yourselves a glass/bottle of your favourite tipple, I certainly have. Cheers. 🍻🥂🍹🍺🥃🍸🍾🍷

D2B28DC9 BD46 4298 81C1 8AC0E8EC84D6

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

richyc, Robin, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@boo

well hairy jack hole certainly sounds  funny 😄 

I’ve seen this on Charvel’s and I really like it! I’m all about the straty jack plate and installing it out of the way and close to the strap.

Practice on scrap...

Boo, Russ, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

I think making the facet and drilling the hole would be the easy bit. Attaching the template could be tricky and there’s not mech real estate there. Probably have to make one that hugs the body... 🤔 

Practice on scrap...

Boo, Russ, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

It’s a hole for the jack socket that is in between the edge and back of the guitar. 

I've never liked the strat socket on the front, but I like the idea of it recessed in the back edge like that, I might just do that on my current build.

Boo, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

15 minutes with a rasp is the easy part. The route cavity is probably the tricky bit.

mattbeels, Boo, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

hairy hole to jack

NOBODY Google this!!!

mattbeels, Boo, Peebee and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I could have chosen a better title for this post maybe. 

Last night I decided to have a drink after many months of being on the wagon. A bottle of wine and half a litre bottle of spiced rum, I am trying to piece together the events of last night. 

mark bailey, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

That is quite hairy...

I think the safe thing would be to make a jig to hold the body at an angle with a built in pattern to route the jack socket hole. Going to take up some space in the shop..or...It might be possible to just bodge it with a drill. How about a mockup test on some scrap?

Measure twice, cut once...

mattbeels, Robin, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I think the safe thing would be to make a jig to hold the body at an angle with a built in pattern to route the jack socket hole. Going to take up some space in the shop..or...It might be possible to just bodge it with a drill. How about a mockup test on some scrap?

@markbailey Thanks Mark, yeah I will have to do some jig making and testing. I’ll let you know hoe I get on. 

Cheers.

mattbeels, Robin, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

I've never liked the strat socket on the front, but I like the idea of it recessed in the back edge like that, I might just do that on my current build.

I've been doing a little bit of sketching with a view to fitting a strat type jack socket the back edge of my current build. What I'd hoped to get from this was to keep the cable out of the way when I'm sitting on the sofa or bed end with my guitar on my knee. Now that I've got a cable with a 90 degree end, that problem is gone, so seems like an awful lot of effort for no real gain. I'll be fitting the standard Bailey kit socket.

20210102 172636
20210102 173038

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Now that I've got a cable with a 90 degree end, that problem is gone, so seems like an awful lot of effort for no real gain.

@robin Yeah, this is my current solution to that problem too. 

I do, however, want to find a way to drill that hole. I need to make a funky jig and do some testing. 

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

Hi Boo

I do, however, want to find a way to drill that hole. I need to make a funky jig and do some testing. 

If had gone ahead with it, I was going to saw and plane the facet, then cut a recess with forstner bits, hand carve the rest for the plate, then maybe a stepped drill to get a starting face for a forstner bit in at an angle for the jack socket. All theory of course, as I'm not doing it.

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

All theory of course, as I'm not doing it.

That’s often the best way to do it @robin 😆 

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Robin, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: