8 Users
214 Likes
Powerful
(@powerful)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Rep Points: 648
Topic starter  

Hi. Looking at all the ways to bend a accoustic side and watching Marks' youtube video, it appears that the fundamental thing to bending is the creation of steam. So if this is the case, would a pipe dotted with holes and connected to a wallpaper steamer do the trick. Just a thought and probably over thinking, hopefully someone has tried and was succesful. Thanks

tv1, John g, Boo and 9 people reacted
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28611

I think that you should try it out for us all @powerful and let us know how you get on. 👍😁 

🎶🎸🙏🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

tv1, Boo, Powerful and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@powerful it is at least worth the experiment!

tv1, Russ, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Powerful
(@powerful)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

I think I might. It seems plausible to me but I really have no idea. Hopefully someone will stop me making a catastrophic error before I jump straight in (which is what I usually tend to do). If I can get hold of some 2mm wood I'll have a go. Cheers

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@powerful can’t hurt to try as long as your experiment isn’t on expensive wood, I expect your main issue might be that you won’t get an even temperature over the length of the tube.

I’ve not bent wood before but I’d always thought a bending iron was used with a spray to wet the wood as opposed to direct application of steam?

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

ReplyQuote
Powerful
(@powerful)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

Yes Tej me too which led me to believe that directly introducing steam would simplify things a bit. I know people use steam boxes so maybe this would give similar results. Again I'm only guessing and it's down to trial and error I suppose. Worth a try though when I get sorted out. I'll post the results here, good or bad or destroyed

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@powerful

It could work however too much moisture can cause a ripple effect across the wood as the steam is absorbed differently by different parts of the grain eg flame maple where there is light and dark. Thick gloves are essential I would say as real steam is invisible and scalds are non reversible unlike flame burns which can be lessened by cooling, scalding is instant and permanent. What we can see is condensed water vapour which although close to 100 deg C isn’t quite steam. Sorry to be pedantic but I would hate to see you reporting an accident.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, Russ, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Powerful
(@powerful)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

Sound advice Rocknroller much appreciated. As I say it’s all pie in the sky at the moment but worth thinking about. Thanks for your input on this pint taken. Cheers

tv1, Koendb, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Powerful
(@powerful)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

That’s point taken mate. The pint comes tonight

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@powerful 

Pints certainly do come tonight, after a long motorbike ride in the sun I’m ready for a few.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3851

@powerful . I just used a pipe and a heat gun. I got a 1 1/2" pipe that would fit over my heat guns tip. Put a bracket on in so I could clamp it in my vice. It is pretty low tech but it worked for the first one and I'm gonna do it on the build I'm doing now. I'll use this till I can save up for the fancy one

🙂

20210702 171616

tv1, Russ, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Powerful
(@powerful)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

Hi Bpower. Is it a tight fit around the heater nozzle and also is the opposite end of the pipe closed off at all. Thanks

ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier

@powerful it is a snug fit but not tight. I dont think it needs to be a tight fit though. Just set it up so the heat gun doesn't fall out of the end when you are bending it. Not that it is a big fire risk but just annoying. I did not need to block off the end. There was plenty of heat to do the job. Only tip I found out was....the way I set it up I needed to stand in front of the tube so the ol belly got a little warm.... I put on my leather apron to protect my squishy bits. 🙂

tv1, Boo, Powerful and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier

Posted by: @

And people used to just point a torch in the end of the tube for a heat source and that would not be a tight fit. It is just directing the heat down the pipe. Also.... do not use galvanized pipe. The chemicals are nasty. I had a piece of aluminum pipe i used but regular steel would work well. 

tv1, Boo, Powerful and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

It is really not a good idea as you will fill your workshop with steam, thus causing all your precious timber to warp, and your benches, and your walls, and your mind.

Seriously thoo...There is normally enough moisture in the wood to create the tiny amount of steam needed - I used to soak my sides fro 20 mins pre bending but now I don't bother - just spritz with water from a spray bottle before using the Iron or the side bending machine.

Measure twice, cut once...

tv1, Boo, Russ and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Powerful
(@powerful)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

Thanks Mark. I will be taking out a premium membership so I'll catch up with your accoustic course. Will also be ordering a ready to go blank set aswell in next few weeks, but great advice on here so far. Cheers

Boo, Russ, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Powerful
(@powerful)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

Thanks Bpower

Boo, Russ, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

GREAT! Let us know if you have any trouble...

Measure twice, cut once...

Boo, Russ, Koendb and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John g
(@sparkee626)
New Member Customer
Rookie
Rep Points: 12

Posted by: @

Not sure if that steam generator would be hot enough, I have one but unless there is something wrong with it ,just doesn't produce enough heat to enable a easier bend .

Boo, Powerful, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: