118 Likes
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385
Topic starter  

I’ve had someone offer me the use of some machines I can use to prep my own blanks. Can anyone recommend a supplier of unprepared wood so I can figure out what the saving would be over buying a ready prepped blank please?

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Robin, tv1, Boo and 5 people reacted
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28642

https://maderasbarber.com/tonewood/en/ Β 

https://guitarsandwoods.com/ Β 

Have a wee look at these @tej. Now we're out of Europe the taxes might make it too expensive though.Β 

🙏🎶🎸🙂

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

Robin, tv1, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@russ thank you I’ll check them out, mostly it seems we only get stung for really expensive things at the moment!Β 

Robin, tv1, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

https://guitarsandwoods.com/ Β /a> Β 

I use this one frequently. Recommended

Robin, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

Hi Tej,

Depends where you are. I've bought some lovely timber from https://www.sykestimber.co.uk/ in the Midlands and they are keen to supply instrument makers and understand our requirements - which many other timber yards aren't and don't! However, you may find that, once you've taken the wastage into account, you won't save as much money as you might have hoped. Still, there is a special satisfaction to be had by undertaking the whole process.

Good luck

Darren

Robin, tv1, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28642

I've bought some lovely timber from https://www.sykestimber.co.uk/ /a> in the Midlands

@darrenking.

Thanks for this tip Darren. 👍Β 

🙂🙏🎸🎶

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

Boo, Robin, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

Still, there is a special satisfaction to be had by undertaking the whole process.

@darrenking thanks for the link, yeah I’m aware it likely won’t save a fortune but doing everything end to end is the target. Does mean a fair bit of work to make the fretboard but that should be an interesting task too!

Boo, Robin, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

As an indication ...

I bought a plank of 27mm thick maple last week.Β  8' long, 8.5" wide.Β  It's a nice clean plank with only a couple of knots at one end.Β  Of course, you always hope that cleaning it up will reveal some stunning flame or quilt or other pretty features, but - really - I just wanted a clean plank with some classic maple grain pattern.

That plank will give me 3 tops, thicknessed down to 20mm, which is plenty for some decent carving.

Cost:Β  Β£28.88.

I bought it from my friendly cabinet-making neighbour who has a substantial woodstore all of his own and he just charged me what it had cost him.Β  Plus we then ran it through his industrial-grade thicknesser to clean it up.

But that only works (a) if you get lucky and the original timber yard supplies decent stuff and (b) you've got a friendly cabinet-making neighbour!!

I've bought other planks of timber (same source) that have probably worked out to ~Β£25/body blank.Β  If you've got the time and equipment to machine raw timber into build-ready blanks, then it's a fair bit cheaper.Β 

The risk is that you could reveal defects in the plank that make it unusable.Β  And you don't get to "tap test" it first!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Boo, Robin, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

Agreed on the prep - I have a cheap planer thicknesser that can cope with half a body blank at a time so could take thicker wood, prepare two halves of the body, and get it joined then through my sander to get to finished thickness. Β On my list to try just haven’t so far……

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

Boo, Robin, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mikeyrjiom
(@mikeyrjiom)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 401

I have bought billets and purflings among other bits from David Dyke at https://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk. Good quality and very helpful staff.Β 

Trying to make a living out of a hobby doesn't work πŸ™‚

Koendb, Boo, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4954

My local wood miller is going out of business. My main source of local Koa. Bummer. All good. As a gesture of his appreciation from all the ukuleles and guitars I built from his stacks, he gave me a slab of Tabebuia. Kiln dried untouched for 6 years. Got some really nice spalting. Told me to make the most wicked guitar ever and that anytime I need Koa, I could always come to him. I am one lucky guy.

105A644F F04D 4750 B26E 886858361936

Β 

Tej, Robin, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

My local wood miller is going out of business. My main source of local Koa. Bummer. All good. As a gesture of his appreciation from all the ukuleles and guitars I built from his stacks, he gave me a slab of Tabebuia. Kiln dried untouched for 6 years. Got some really nice spalting. Told me to make the most wicked guitar ever and that anytime I need Koa, I could always come to him. I am one lucky guy.

@clinton Oh man, that is one cool place, you are definitely the luckiest guitar builder I know, as well as being a Jedi level craftsman. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Tej, Clinton, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: