5 Users
86 Likes
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965
Topic starter  

I had an issue with EarthLink grounding to a black ABR 1 tune o matic bridge. It was not receiving proper grounding. Practically spent the whole day re assessing, re wiring and soldering, figuring out schematics, replacing pick ups, jack socket, the works and even turning off the main powerline and using a battery operated amp to check for 60 cycle hum, nothing worked.  I was ready to order shielding paint and realized the black paint on the bridge and long behold  the paint in the bridge prevented it from conducting. I scuffed the areas of the posts, the slots and the string ball holes and it worked. Did anyone else ever came across this issue?

Clinton 

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 5 people reacted
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Never!

I've used a variety of bridges, and never experienced that problem.  If it's any consolation, it would probably have taken me longer to diagnose and resolve too.  Something to keep in mind for future builds, so thanks for sharing.

I guess that's a good example of the "check continuity" rule from Mark's session on Weds!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Boo, Deej and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

I guess anything with an applied surface colour or lacquer is going to benefit from being abraded where the grounding wire  contacts. If you don't have on then cheap multimeter could be a great Christmas present. An audible continuity signal is very useful or you can can just check for low or out of range (on the low side) resistance.

mattbeels, Deej, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@darrenking Yes, wish I had a multimeter. My birthday coming up in a few weeks. Hmmm.

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

You can get a pretty good one on Amazon for less than £20 and if you are getting involved with anything electrical it’ll change you life!

mattbeels, Deej, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@tv1010101 I missed that one. Did not wake up in time. Shucks. Just saw the stream. I think it’s time I own a multimeter.

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I think it’s time I own a multimeter.

I bought one for guitar-assembly use, long before I understood all of its other potential uses.  It encouraged me to learn a bit more about electronics!  

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Deej, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Ok you lot have convinced me that I should invest in a multimeter. Doesn’t know how to use it but it’s time learn. Thanks. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Deej, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
rockpile99
(@rockpile99)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 494

Had a similar experience with my first build. The bridge is black so I just assumed whatever it was coated with wouldn't conduct and tested first (thankfully I have multimeter) - had to scrape away the paint to get to copper/brass stuff underneath before bridge earth would conduct properly.

So far, the multimeter has also come in handy for veryifying ohms on pots, that pots are working properly, confirming uF value of tone capicitor, and generally checking my wiring skills.

Well worth the investment.

Guitar making is the art and science of turning expensive wood into sawdust.

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rockpile99 Yup, just got one. Lessons learned.

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Just be aware that not all multimeters can measure capacitance so double check beforehand

ReplyQuote
Share: