7 Users
178 Likes
Jamesonguitar
(@jamesonguitar)
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 56
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I've bitten the bullet and signed up for the fantastic acoustic guitar making course here! I am a complete novice with any sort of woodworking... so this may end up being a little hard than I even imagine.

Anyway, if you want to follow on and give me some tips along the way, the first video is here...

cheers

James

cheesewhisk, mattbeels, mark bailey and 15 people reacted
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@jamesonguitar

Welcome to the group, I'll be watching with interest as I intend to build an acoustic at some point, also by following Mark's course.  While I admire you're dedication to sanding, I think I would have waited for the new bandsaw blade and acrylic for your router base.

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jamesonguitar
(@jamesonguitar)
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

Cheers!

yeah, basically by the time i finished, the acrylic arrived… but i learned something: sanding can be fun, for a while with some music on. And buy a hand sander!

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@jamesonguitar

And buy a hand sander!

A hand plane is a very useful tool too, and much .more fun than sanding.

ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

Welcome @jamesonguitar. Cool video. I agree with @robin. You have a lot more patience than I do. I would not have made it through that much sanding. :). Great perseverance. I was watching and think.... even a small hand plane would have got you closer to the line and then just finish with the sanding. Much respect for pushing through and getting that done. I'll be following along with your videos. I'm just starting my finishing process on my second acoustic build. Happy building. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Jamesonguitar
(@jamesonguitar)
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

Thanks Bpower. I quite enjoyed the meditative part of it really. But it would probably be a waste of time to do it very often!

in answer to both of you about hand planes… i have bought two, but they aren’t sharpened yet and honestly of all the tools they are the ones that i feel i am most likely to damage the wood with. Well at least until i get something to sharpen them with. Looking forward to trying them at that point.

how have you found the second build in comparison to the first?

cheers

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@jamesonguitar

I think you’re doing ok so far and you’ve made a good video. 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Jamesonguitar
(@jamesonguitar)
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

Cheers, much appreciated!

i actually had made an error that i didn’t get on camera so didn’t bother explaining . In charging ahead i had forgotten you have to keep the heel block from the neck blank, so i had just cut this part off in random bits… ended up having to sand one of those bits back to square!

i also routed the fillet to cover the truss rod… and then totally forgot about that bit and cut it in half without thinking.

but you know what… i probably won’t do either of those things ever again!

ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

Hey @jamesonguitar. The second build is going soooooo much better now that I know what to expect and I know the parts that I really messed up with my first one. I know the parts that I needed to slow down and make sure I got right. I almost don't want this one to by my wife's guitar. 🙂 I still have a few mistakes in this guitar as well but it is all part of the process. I believe every one will keep getting better. Soon enough I might be able to call myself competent.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Jamesonguitar
(@jamesonguitar)
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

That’s great to hear! I have a long way to go to get to your point… but really enjoying the process along the way

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

anyway, if you want to follow on and give me some tips along the way, the first video is here...

Subscribed! 😀

ReplyQuote
Wayne_F
(@wayne_f)
Reputable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 631

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm also planning on documenting my guitar building journey.

mattbeels, mark bailey, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jamesonguitar
(@jamesonguitar)
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

cheers! 🙂

mattbeels, Koendb, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jamesonguitar
(@jamesonguitar)
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

Good luck... it is a lot of fun, so far!

mattbeels, Koendb, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@jamesonguitar I’m glad you are dedicated to having a go and you will definitely learn a lot and have fun doing it. 

It’s good to see you documenting your guitar build but I must just say something, and I mean this in the nicest possible way. I definitely think you shouldn’t put too much detail into each video. Not only will it be a bit easier for the viewer but it won’t be just copying Mark’s “how to” videos from his course and reproducing your own version of them onto YouTube. I really am not having a go at you, I just wanted to point out what may not have been taken into consideration. Sorry if I sound like I’m an old grumpy sod. I’m not trying to spoil your fun but I think if you get the balance right with your videos, they will have enough footage in them (but not too much) to inspire people to come to GuitarBuilding.co.uk and sign up for the course. 

I’m pleased you are here, I enjoyed watching your video and I look forward to more from you. 

I still haven’t ventured into the acoustic building yet, I am all about the electric guitar but if there is anything I can help you with, I will gladly do so. 

Enjoy. 👍 

Boo. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, mark bailey, Koendb and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jamesonguitar
(@jamesonguitar)
Hobbyist
Topic starter  

Hi, and thanks for the feedback. Always happy to get constructive criticism.

i was thinking, though, for my ‘audience’ who don’t know the course, the structure of it for them will not have the context of someone who has seen the course. They won’t link the way I go along the build with anything else, so if they are someone that wants to see in depth then it should be ok. 

either way, one thing i’ve learned on youtube… you can’t please all of the people all of the time

cheers

james

mattbeels, mark bailey, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Always happy to get constructive criticism.

i was thinking, though, for my ‘audience’ who don’t know the course, the structure of it for them will not have the context of someone who has seen the course. They won’t link the way I go along the build with anything else, so if they are someone that wants to see in depth then it should be ok. 

@jamesonguitar That’s great James, thanks. Criticism on here will always be constructive, nothing is ment to harm or discourage anyone’s creativity and confidence. 

either way, one thing i’ve learned on youtube… you can’t please all of the people all of the time

Yes, in the current online climate, this is true enough. 🤣 

Good luck with everything and I look forward to watching your build. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, mark bailey, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: