12 Users
248 Likes
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Thanks Boo, Big help first guitar, still learning and still have many question Its a Gloss finish can this be saved during the polishing process, 

@dbell_1994 Yeah, so long as you have sanded it with fine enough paper, such as 2000g 

If you have clear lacquer sanded to 2000g or more, 3000, 4000, 5000 and so on, it can then be brought back to full gloss using polishing compounds. 

I always flatten and polish my paintwork, it’s standard procedure. I come from an automotive refinishing background and it’s just one part of the job, polishing. Prep is the biggest time consuming part, then polishing, spraying paint is the fastest part. 

People are always horrified when I start sanding a seemingly perfectly good paint job. 😱 “What are you doing?” 😱 

“Getting it right” 😁🤘 

Sanding it takes the gloss finish off, temporarily. The gloss will come back when you buff it back up, with the right compounds. It’s not always easy though, you can easily burn through finish with the buffer, especially on the edges, or blister the lacquer if you generate too much buffing heat. 

It’s an art and it takes years of making mistakes to learn from them. As long as I’ve been doing it, I still make them from time to time. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Robin, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

Welcome to the buids

mattbeels, Riccardo, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2