7 Users
28 Likes
SomethingNicer
(@somethingnicer)
Trusted Member
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 82
Topic starter  

greetings all! I just signed up and am lookin forward to this. I’ve built multiple partscasters and I’ve been winding my own pickups for over a year now. My goal is to build guitars from slabs of wood.

chris

Boo, Russ, Dan Hawkes and 2 people reacted
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@somethingnicer

Welcome to the group Chris, just follow Mark's courses and you'll experience the magic of building guitars from slabs of wood. I'm on my 4th one now, an acoustic this time, started with a 6 inch square slab of mahogany, I had never imagined I'd be able to do that. I think we'll all be interested in how you go about winding your own pickups too.

Boo, Russ and swepri reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Honorable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2556

@somethingnicer Welcome to the forum!

The conversion from slabs of wood to electric guitars was easier and more fun than I thought it would be. If any problems arise, just post a question about it.

Boo, Russ and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Brian Walker
(@brie)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 300

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the group, I’m sure you will enjoy the journey from slabs of wood to guitar but be warned, it is very addictive 🤪

I’ve not finished my first build yet but I’m already planning the next one!!

Mark’s course material is easy watching and easy to follow and the help and advice available from group members is great.

We will look forward to seeing your project and hearing about your pickup winding.

ENJOY!!

Brian👍😃🎸

Boo, swepri, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
SomethingNicer
(@somethingnicer)
Trusted Member
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 82
Topic starter  

@robin thanks! I’ll make another post on it when I wind next. I became obsessed with “demystifying” guitars and one of the big things is pickups. It’s surprisingly not that difficult (although there is a decent learning curve)

premade winders get expensive, but I made one with a DC motor and a speed controller. Then I 3D printer a housing for it. Pickups are no longer “magic” to me  and I’ve gotten to the point where I only ruin 1 out of 5 or 6 (starting off I’d ruin 4 for every successful one).

ReplyQuote
Dan Hawkes
(@liebe)
Estimable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 356

@somethingnicer, welcome along! As the others have said, you'll enjoy mark's courses. They're something for everyone, no matter the skill level.

Please do post on pickup winding, it's something I'm interested in trying too.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

@somethingnicer

Welcome Chris. Enjoy the Ride. It'll be great to pick your brain on pickup winding somewhere down the line when I want to give it a go. 

🎶🙂🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Boo, swepri and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
sogoslotvvip
(@sogoslotvvip)
Active Member Customer
Enthusiast
Rep Points: 34

Hello Chris, I'm also still new to the forum and I'm also looking forward to more discussions that may help me learn more about guitar making. Cheers.

ReplyQuote
Share: