2 Users
46 Likes
Paul Appleton
(@a-p-p-o)
New Member Customer
Enthusiast
Rep Points: 28
Topic starter  

Hi there. I'm Paul, or APPO. I quit my job last year and decided to be a luthier. ( I know.. crazy) it was partly for health reasons but mostly because I want to be happy most of the time! I'm 46, I trained as a joiner when I was 16 and then went on to do roadie/sound engineer type things for about 15 years. I then got 'a proper job' which made me miserable so I quit and now I'm here!

I've been doing a lot of learning on line, as you do, and I'm accumulating books on guitar building faster than I can read them.

I was just about to build a small workshop in the garden before lockdown and it looks like that can now start to make progress.

because I'm just getting started, I am still open about what I want to build. I play a bit of guitar and bass but I'm happy to build whatever is most in demand.

mattbeels, Boo, Rocknroller912 and 11 people reacted
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Hey Appo - Glad you found us! Making a living in this game is not easy, but I'm living proof it can be done if you are determined enough. The best advice I can give you is to start with a basic build so you can get familiar with all the methods and get your tools together - after that the world is your oyster.

I put everything I know into our courses and I think they really are the best possible introduction to guitar making - short of actually working in a guitar factory.

Your story sounds like mine although it was 30 years ago for me...(shit)....There are other members here in a similar position to us at various stages and we enjoy helping each other out.

Good luck !! And If there is anything I can do to help - just ask.

Measure twice, cut once...

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Paul Appleton
(@a-p-p-o)
New Member Customer
Enthusiast
Topic starter  

@markbailey thanks for the reply. sounds like good advice. I shall plod on with the courses and probably see you round in the forums.

ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

@a-p-p-o I'm going to talk about this on todays livestream - Cheers!!

Measure twice, cut once...

ReplyQuote
Paul Appleton
(@a-p-p-o)
New Member Customer
Enthusiast
Topic starter  
Posted by: @markbailey

@a-p-p-o I'm going to talk about this on todays livestream - Cheers!!

nice one, I just caught up with it, some great advice there.. appreciate it, cheers.

ReplyQuote
Share: