7 Users
66 Likes
Genista
(@genista)
Eminent Member
Rookie
Rep Points: 19
Topic starter  

I’ve only just found out about Mark and the courses you offer. I met a friend 2 days ago who I haven’t seen for a few years and he tells me he’s been making guitars after completing the week long guitar build course. I also can’t believe that the workshop is 15 miles from my house, what a result! I’ve been a musician for about 40 years now and have always been fascinated by the build of instruments - I’d love to try the week long guitar build course if funds allow. Quite excited by the whole thing already. 

swepri, Russ, tv1 and 3 people reacted
Brian Walker
(@brie)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 300

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Mark’s workshops would be great for you, with you being so close and that, I can’t remember the cost but, if you don’t have the tools or access to them then everything you need would be there. The full membership however is fantastic value with access to all the course videos whenever you need or want to look at them. You could probably get access to much of the tools and equipment you might need at your local Men’s Shed ( I believe there’s a very good one in Kilmarnock, google Scottish Men’s Shed Association) along with help and advice.

Then there’s the massive amount of experience you can tap into on these here forums.

Whichever way you decide to go good luck, enjoy the ride and share what you’re doing with us.

AwRaBest,

Brian👍😃🎸

swepri, Russ, tv1 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@genista Hello and welcome to the forum. You should definitely join up to the full online membership here, there is wonderful knowledge to absorb in the course videos as well as help from us more experienced guitar makers. It’s friendly and welcoming here, all you have to do is ask and someone or many of us will help you out with common questions and answers. These forums are full of pictures and information about guitars we have all built from scratch as a result of taking Mark’s courses, either in the workshop or the online courses. 
What are you interested in doing first, electric or acoustic guitar making? 

Cheers.

Boo. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

swepri, Russ, tv1 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Genista
(@genista)
Eminent Member
Rookie
Topic starter  

Thanks Brian,

that’s wonderful advice, as you say, workigg by from the workshop would be wonderful and hopefully I’ll get that opportunity as the chance to work and ask questions would be amazing. I’ve heard of Mens sheds but never thought of that so I’m going to check that out and see what comes up - I feel excited like a child about getting into this 🤣

swepri, Russ, tv1 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Genista
(@genista)
Eminent Member
Rookie
Topic starter  

@boo thanks for the welcome Boo, great to hear there’s opportunities from different avenues so certainly gives me things to think about. 
I think ultimately I’d like to build my own acoustic but would probably start with an electric. I mainly play acoustics in a ceilidh band these days but I’m still a punk at heart so probably an electric and see where that takes me

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@genista Nice! I’m an electric guitar guy and have made quite a lot of them now. I hadn’t made a set neck guitar until I found Mark and did the online course. I learned so much from that and I’ve never looked back. Having that knowledge and skill set sets you up to make whatever you want, your only limit is your imagination. 
If you are a punk guy then Mark’s electric guitar design is perfect for you. You can customise it any way you want. 
Im looking forward to seeing your progress.

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

ReplyQuote
Genista
(@genista)
Eminent Member
Rookie
Topic starter  

@boo i think I’d always thought about doing it but never knew where to start - I’m going to get the design videos done and work from there, great to see so many like minded folks on here and special thanks to big Jim for telling me all about it

ReplyQuote
NSJ
 NSJ
(@nsj)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2381

Welcome along, I already started building before arriving here but have since been watching Mark's lives on youtube and learnt even more. I'm kinda obsessed with building guitars, it's my main vise lol

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Posted by: @genista

I also can’t believe that the workshop is 15 miles from my house, what a result!

You.  Lucky.  Man !!!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

swepri, Robin, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

Welcome @genista

Enjoy the ride. It's like being a kid in a sweet shop......or more like a toy shop. I wish I had started it all years ago. 

🎸🎶🙂🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

swepri, tv1, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Genista
(@genista)
Eminent Member
Rookie
Topic starter  

@tv101 🤣

tv1, Robin, Boo and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Genista
(@genista)
Eminent Member
Rookie
Topic starter  

@nsj there are worse things to get obsessed with ☺️

Robin, Boo, swepri and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Honorable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2556

@genista Welcome onboard! So far I have built 3 guitars after watching the online courses. I found this site during covid, when Mark did a live build and other great videos on youtube, which got me totally hooked due to the clear step-by-step process. Like you, played guitar for more than 40 years and always wanted to build my own guitar. Right now I have at least three more planned. 😀 

My best advice is to take it easy when building, no rush. And the even better advice - ask any kind of question here if in doubt or stuck.

Russ, tv1, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Genista
(@genista)
Eminent Member
Rookie
Topic starter  

@swepri cheers, I think that’s the hardest part when starting out is not to rush things, I’m trying to decide what the best option for me is, video or workshop course - the support on here is amazing so I’m sure whatever I decide it’ll turn out well - thanks everyone for taking the time to welcome me 😊

Russ, tv1, Robin and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: