8 Users
114 Likes
swepri
(@swepri)
Honorable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2556
Topic starter  

I searched the net for how to fit a set neck and stumbled over the live build series, and here I am. I have wanted to build a guitar for more than 40 years now, so I think it's about time to finally do it. Mark makes it look so easy 🙂

I have most of the tools needed and are currently in the design phase. I have built a few jigs and some patterns.

Currently watching the courses and absorbing as much as possible before starting to cut wood.

/Swepri

mattbeels, Robin, Boo and 9 people reacted
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@swepri Welcome to this awesome community. You'll find that people are very supportive here! Success with your build(s)

What kind of model are you starting with?

mattbeels, Robin, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@koendb 

Thank you!

I'll start with a double-cut inspired by the Bandsman. Two pickups and 24,75" scalelength.

mattbeels, Robin, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28651

Welcome @swepri. Enjoy the ride and post some pictures when you get going. 

Cheers,

Russ

🙏🎸🎶🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

mattbeels, Robin, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Posted by: @swepri

Currently watching the courses and absorbing as much as possible before starting to cut wood.

@swerpri Hey man, welcome to the forum, you’ll find all the help and info you need here. 

My first set neck electric guitar was right here, following Mark’s online course. I studied those videos so many times before I started cutting any wood and when I did, I had my iPad in my workshop to watch the exact video of the task I was just about to do. 

Some good advice to follow is to go slow in everything you do, it’s not a race. Check each measurement lots of times and make sure all your tools are set in the right place before you commit to cutting. Just relax, enjoy the whole experience and everything will come together before you know it. 

One warning though is that you may catch the guitar building bug and want to make many more guitars. There are people here from around the world so I suppose we have created our own pandemic 😷 You will need a mask and to act responsibly to get through it safely. There is lots of conflicting and misleading information about guitar building out there on the internet, so it’s best to avoid conspiracy theories and stick to the rules that Mark has expertly laid out for us in these courses. You can socially distance in between each lesson as much as you want and if you ever want any help, come and ask your questions here. We will be able to help and for any obscure or advanced problems, our resident guru @markbailey will solve everything. This is a place of learning and all of us make mistakes all the time. Learning how to fix those problems is what will make you a better guitar maker so don’t get disheartened when it happens. 

Above all, work slowly and safely, and enjoy yourself. 

I look forward to seeing your progress and please upload some pictures when you get started and as you go along. 

Good luck sir. ✊

Boo. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@boo 

Thank you. A lot of good advice, and you point at one of my biggest challenges - I want to see results quickly. This time I will try to go forward at a slower pacey and be well prepared before each step (this is meant to be enjoyable, isn't it?). From what I have seen so far, Mark seems to have a very good approach to building, and the process makes good sense to me.

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@russ 

Thanks!

I will try to post some pictures of the progress.

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@swepri  Welcome to the group, you'll get all the help you need here. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of your first build.

mattbeels, swepri, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Alexander Zingman
(@alexanderzingman)
Estimable Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 114

Welcome to the amazing world of Guitar, you will learn here a lot

Alexander Zingman

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

@swepri welcome to the builds

Russ, Boo, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Welcome @swepri! This is a great community and you’ll get all the help and support necessary, have fun!

Practice on scrap...

Russ, Boo, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: