86 Likes
steadda
(@steadda)
New Member Customer
Enthusiast
Rep Points: 35
Topic starter  

Hi everyone.

I stumbled across Mark's live 'Lockdown Lucy' streams during lock down in 2019, and I took his challenge when he said anyone who can draw a straight line can build a guitar. 

and...... barring a couple of mistakes (which I think I've hidden) I have almost proved him right. 

It's been great fun and a great help during the past few months in this crazy covid world. The guitar is almost finished, except that I've lost my nut! I've levered one out of a fender-style neck so I can get some strings on to try it, it'll do until I can take delivery of a replacement.

I have a question though - I'm planning Number 2, this time a bit more ambitious and I aim to put a walnut cap onto a mahogany (or similar) body. The cap is about 7-8mm thick and the bodies supplied by Mark are 44mm. My question is, would the body and cap be too thick, should I (a) try to get a thinner body or (b) should I reduce the thickness of the mahogany to compensate?

I plan to chamber the body.

thanks in advance for any advice.

My first build is a CrasterCaster - named after a small fishing village in my home county of Northumberland, and it's meant to look as though it's been made form an old barrel or fish box.

and finally, to Mark & Carol, I hope your mam is recovering well.

regards

Dave

Crastercaster edit

Koendb, Bpower, tv1 and 15 people reacted
Topic Tags
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@steadda well your first build looks great, sadly I don’t have enough experience to offer advice on your thickness query. I’d be inclined to say it’s personal preference if you’re making it chambered to reduce the weight or for aesthetics, if it’s to get a louder, rounder sound when noodling unplugged I’d expect there’s more science behind it!

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

tv1, steadda, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28658

@steadda.

Great first build Dave. I'd reduce the thickness of the body by the thickness of the Cap. It would be one chunky guitar otherwise and quite heavy.........but I guess it is all down to preference.

Cheers,

Russ

🙂🎶🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

tv1, steadda, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

My first build is a CrasterCaster - named after a small fishing village in my home county of Northumberland, and it's meant to look as though it's been made form an old barrel or fish box.

@steadda Hey Dave, that’s a great name for your guitar, I absolutely love that part of England, in terms of beautiful scenery and warm people. My wife and I have been to Craster many many times, a good walk to Dunstanburgh Castle and back, then into The Jolly Fisherman for food and a pint (ok two.....) and then buy some kippers from the smokery. We mainly stay in Bamburgh but we always take a trip to Craster, it’s tradition now. 

In terms of your second build, I would say plane 10 to 12mm off the body blank so your 8mm top will make up the full thickness of the blank when you glue it on. A standard body blank should be about 40mm thick, give or take a few mm depending on the design. 

I’m glad you found us, it’s a great resource and full of helpful people. So keep building and don’t worry about making mistakes, we all do them. Any time you have questions or just want any advice, come and talk to us here in the forum and we will help. Keep in touch and good luck. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, Tej, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
steadda
(@steadda)
New Member Customer
Enthusiast
Rep Points: 35
Topic starter  

Thanks Boo. If you look closely at the pictures on the wall behind me you might recognise the greatest castle in all of England, imho.

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

If you look closely at the pictures on the wall behind me you might recognise the greatest castle in all of England, imho.

@steadda Looks like the fantastic Bamburgh Castle to me, love it. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3415

and...... barring a couple of mistakes (which I think I've hidden) I have almost proved him right. 

You certainly proved him right, great guitar! I've made about 20 guitars and basses now, not one of them without making a mistake. As for your next build I would advice to use a thinner body blank (somewhere between 35 to 37 mm). The guy I buy my woods from planes the body blanks (and neck blanks) to the thickness I ask, only takes him a few minutes. I'm sure if you order a body blank from Mark and ask him to plain it to the thickness you want that will be no problem.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception"
Groucho Marx

steadda, Tej, tv1 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

The cap is about 7-8mm thick and the bodies supplied by Mark are 44mm. My question is, would the body and cap be too thick, should I (a) try to get a thinner body or (b) should I reduce the thickness of the mahogany to compensate?

It's largely a matter of personal taste.

Guitars vary in shape, weight and size, largely to appeal to different tastes.  But, a total of 52mm is towards the thick end of the spectrum - even if you will chamber the body to keep the weight sensible.

What tools have you got to reduce the thickness of the body?  Alternatively, Mark might sort that out for you, before sending it.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Tej, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: