370 Likes
Hursty
(@hursty)
Eminent Member
Adept
Rep Points: 188
Topic starter  

Hi all,

After much pondering I took the plunge and became a premium member and ordered a standard Bandsman kit. 😀Β 

I've no experience of wood working at all so this could be a disaster or a new love.

My first problem is finding a bandsaw. I was thinking of a Record BS250 but they seem out of stock everywhere.

Has anyone any other recommendations?

Cheers, Hursty.

Koendb, mattbeels, Tej and 11 people reacted
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

Hi @hursty

Welcome to the guitar building world. I'm sure you're going to have fun trying. Here is a link to a deal at Yandles for the BS250

https://www.yandles.co.uk/record-power-bs250-premium-10-bandsaw-250w-230v/p8208 Β 

Cheers,

Russ

🙏🎶🎸🙂

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

Koendb, mattbeels, Hursty and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

Use a hand saw if you’re only making one guitar

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Koendb, mattbeels, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@hursty Hey Hursty, welcome to the forum and congrats on buying your first Bailey Bandsman guitar kit. You will find loads of help here in the forum so whenever you run into problems or concerns, just ask us here. 👍Β 

In answer to your bandsaw question, I agree with @russ about the Record one that is on sale at Yeandles right now. 👍Β 

I’ll come back and talk some more later, I’m just in the middle of metal flaking a Strat body.Β 

Catch you later. 👍Β 

BooΒ 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

ReplyQuote
Hursty
(@hursty)
Eminent Member
Adept
Topic starter  

Cheers Boo 👍Β 

Koendb, mattbeels, Tej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I've no experience of wood working at all so this could be a disaster or a new love.

I was there, many years ago.

When you say "no" experience - I did have experience of wood working, but all of it had been bad.Β  Usually bad-with-swearing.Β  Sometimes bad-with-blood.

I didn't believe that I could build a guitar.Β  No-one who knew me believed that I could build a guitar.Β 

Mark didn't know me, and he believed that I could.

Mark was right.

Follow the course, step-by-step, slowly and calmly.Β  If in doubt about any aspect of it, walk away, think, or ask here.Β  Or all three.Β  Practice on scrap first (or mdf, or ply, or anything else that you can get your hands on!).

And you will build a guitar too.

And then you'll build another one, and another one, and ...

Β 

Welcome.

😀

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Estimable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1765

Welcome @hursty I used to live in Leeds many moons ago, my god I love Yorkshire.

Anyways, I'm right there with you on the no experience, or at least nothing since GCSE CDT, of course this all shows with some of the highly entertaining 'learning experiences' I've had over the last couple of months. From what I can gather a bandsaw and router are really the main two bits of kit that really make life easier but there's a lot you can do without even those.Β 

I've no idea about buying I'm afraid but there's plenty of folk here who actually know what they're talking about.

I ended up with this from Aldi

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-10-inch-bandsaw/p/704870371579600

Good luck and keep us all posted

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@hursty Welcome, good to hear someone else challenging themselves to a build 🙂 I’m currently using an Aldi bandsaw like @cheesewhisk, it’s a compact if you’re short on space and unless you want a particularly wide headstock it’s big enough for the job. Highly recommend replacing the pretend blade it ships with with one from tuffsaws.co.uk though. If you’ve the money and space for the Record though absolutely go with that.

Β 

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

mattbeels, Hursty, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier

@hursty Welcome, good to hear someone else challenging themselves to a build 🙂 I’m currently using an Aldi bandsaw like @cheesewhisk, it’s a compact if you’re short on space and unless you want a particularly wide headstock it’s big enough for the job. Highly recommend replacing the pretend blade it ships with with one from tuffsaws.co.uk though. If you’ve the money and space for the Record though absolutely go with that.

Β 

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

I have a cheapo Titan bandsaw from ScrewFix - added a decent blade and did a bit of surgery on the bit that adjusts the height of cut - can now do just over 90mm. Β  Also watched a couple of YouTube videos on setting up bandsaws and it cuts pretty well - you do need to let it do the work and not force it.......

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

Koendb, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier

did a bit of surgery on the bit that adjusts the height of cut

@frocesterbill What did you do for this?

Koendb, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

The bit that slides up and down is some kind of plastic - I trimmed some of it so that it could slide up a bit more - I’ll take some pics later.

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

Koendb, mattbeels, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier

I’d never contemplated butchering mine, will investigate later!!

Koendb, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Hursty
(@hursty)
Eminent Member
Adept
Topic starter  

Thanks TV1. 😀Β 

Β 

Your words are really encouraging and I can see your advice is really sound about following it all step by step and walking away to re-evaluate it when it goes wrong.

Β 

I'm determined to get there in the end. I'm not going to rush it. Just nice and steady.

Β 

Lovely to meet so many positive people on here

Koendb, mattbeels, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Hursty
(@hursty)
Eminent Member
Adept
Topic starter  

Hi Cheesewhisk,

I live just outside of York although I'm originally from the badlands(lancashire) 😉Β 

Yep I adore Yorkshire. I don't think I'd ever leave here.

Good to know others with the same wood working experience as me are having a go and hopefully support each other on this fab journey.

Great to meet you.

cheesewhisk, Koendb, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Hursty
(@hursty)
Eminent Member
Adept
Topic starter  

Hi Tej,

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

It's going to be a fun journey. 😀Β 

Koendb, tv1, Rocknroller912 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Welcome to the forum @hursty! Rest assured, you’ve come to the right place.

With regards to the Record BS 250, it has a rather small depth of cut of 120mm so before you buy make sure that any headstock design that you’d be interested in making will fit.Β 

Also check the specs of Axminster Craft as those machines are probably comparable.Β 

Cheers!

Practice on scrap...

Tej, Boo, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Hursty
(@hursty)
Eminent Member
Adept
Topic starter  

Cheers Matt for the welcome. 😀Β 

Yeah I'd seen it had only 4 inch depth of cut. I had also considered splashing out on the 350 which has a bigger depth of cut and wouldn't stress the motor as much. Ive rung around everywhere for the 350 and no one has one. It seems there's a problem with shipping from the far east or something. I had looked at the Axminster ones but the Record ones seem to get better reviews and there's also the benefit of the longer warranty ...even then..the Axminster versions seem out of stock as well.

Mind you at this rate I might just have to buy what I can get my hands on. Its proper daft this problem with stocks of these machines.

I'm really pleased with all the positive vibes from everyone on here though. It seems a really good community with everyone helping each other out.

Tej, Boo, Koendb and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Its proper daft this problem with stocks of these machines.

Supply issues will sort themselves out over the next few weeks/months.

Don't rush to buy something almost-good-enough now, and then struggle with it for the years ahead, when you'll probably be able to get the right thing in the not too distant future.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Tej, Boo, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

Don't rush to buy something almost-good-enough now

Soud advice. I now did a couple of builds with nothing more then a jigsaw and a router. I t works, it just takes longer. With the jigsaw, you just have to go slow and not force the blade too much, because the blades bends easily. Then when routing, you have to work away quite a bit more material, so I take my time and use several passes before my routerbitss' bearing touches the template. Only then I go a few mm deeper and repeat the process

Boo, tv1, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: