12 Users
370 Likes
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

Soud advice

Grr I wish the edit function would work properly! I meant 'Sound advice' of course.

Tej, Boo, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

I will probably wait on a good deal/opportunity to buy a bandsaw. Until then , the jigsaw or a friends bandsaw will have to do. I am in no rush

Tej, Boo, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035

Then when routing, you have to work away quite a bit more material, so I take my time and use several passes before my routerbitss' bearing touches the template. Only then I go a few mm deeper and repeat the process

@koendb
I think the advent of affordable CNCs has widened the range of cutters available these days because having to pre-cut a blank and hog out material with a drill before you stick it on the CNC would nullify much of the advantage. Something I want to try is to use a hogging bit (designed to clear material like it's going out of fashion) with a bush guide to take out most of the material and then use a nicer bearing guided cutter for the final count.

When I see people hogging material out with Forstner bits on a pillar drill before routing I always think it seems a bit silly to use a 350 watt drill so you don't put too much strain on your 1400W router!

Tej, Koendb, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Hursty
(@hursty)
Eminent Member
Adept
Rep Points: 188
Topic starter  

Hi Koendb and Jonathan, great to meet you both.

I finally managed to find a Record Power bandsaw, the BS350S so have ordred that. Stocks of the machines seem to be trickling into the country now. I've gone for as big a saw as I could afford to try and make it future proof for me. Hopefully it will serve me for many years to come.

ย 

tv1, Tej, Koendb and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

I always think it seems a bit silly to use a 350 watt drill so you don't put too much strain on your 1400W router!

I think the idea there @jonhodgson is to lessen the strain on the router bits so they stay sharp longer.ย 

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Tej, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Record Power bandsaw, the BS350Sย 

Thatโ€™s a sweet saw @hursty, great job! That was the one I was considering but as my family all chipped in for my Birthday I went up to the Sabre 350, cuz why not, right? 😂

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Tej, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035

@mattbeels with the price of quality forstner bits I'm not sure that's a saving.

I'm thinking of trying one of these for bulk removal.

https://routercutter.co.uk/up-cut-3-flute-roughing-spirals-metric-eu

Tej, Boo, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Youโ€™re probably right @jonhodgson but since thatโ€™s the way Dan Erlewine does it, many will follow. 🤷🏼‍♂️ย 

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Tej, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Hursty
(@hursty)
Eminent Member
Adept
Topic starter  

Cheers @mattbeels.

I was originally considering the BS250 but managed to push it to the BS350. I'm pleased I pushed the budget a bit on this. Yes absolutely if you can get the Sabre it's definitely worth going for those upgrades! You have a good family. We will be making tons of man glitter. 😀ย 

tv1, Tej, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

We will be making tons of man glitter. 😀ย 

Totally @tej!ย 

I was going to buy the 350S myself but then I fell in love with the Sabre and as my birthday was approaching I thought Iโ€™d try to wrangle them up for a group gift as it previously worked for my 30th and 40th. So I then *carefully* proposed the idea for the Sabre and to my surprise (and eternal delight) they came through! (Luckily I have a big family 😆!)

Unfortunately itโ€™s been sold out for a couple of months and the date keeps getting pushed back 😭😤, currently itโ€™s due back in stock on May 10th 🤞🤞

I think you definitely made the right choice to get the 350S, youโ€™ll be right pleased Iโ€™m sure as these RP saws get great reviews. They outperform the others in their class plus have that sweet 5 year warranty.ย 

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Tej, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Ooops, I meant @hursty! Dโ€™oh!

Sorry @tej...

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Tej, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Hursty
(@hursty)
Eminent Member
Adept
Topic starter  

That's one sweet gift @mattbeels . 😀ย 

I had a similar problem with stock of the 350S. Apparently its something to do with shipping being delayed out of China.

I think stocks are starting to drip through though. The place I've ordered mine from got 5 BS350s in just this week. I'm sure there will be some Sabres coming through soon.ย 

Fingers crossed for you! 😀ย 

tv1, mattbeels, Tej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

Sorry @tej...

@mattbeels itโ€™s fine, suppose itโ€™s ok for ย someone else asks questions too 😛

โ€ฆon an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

tv1, Boo, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

Hi

ย  Can be done with a deep reach coping saw with a skip tooth blade. 3-4 tpi. I have done it before on 2 inch thick mahogany tops when my bandsaw broke.

Boo, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: