506 Likes
SeanF
(@seanf)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 139
Topic starter  

Hello All

Just wanted to say hello from Surrey in the UK, I'm a newly inspired person from the content of this website / forum / Youtube channel (I have just finished watching the playlist 'Build Your Own Guitar - LIVE!!').

I have been toying with the idea of refretting / repairing an old guitar I have picked up cheap (Cimar, Hummingbird style, picked up for £20). Now the plan has developed to wanting to build a guitar. Two problems I face currently with this;

1) I have no tools. A list has been formed and set to gather over the coming months

2) No bench or area to do the work. This I am currently close to clearing out my garage to change it from a dumping ground to a area I can do the work in.

I will no doubt have some questions, as I have a plan for builds once I get some simple design ones out of the way and hope playing in tune. I am thinking once I have resolved the tool and work bench situation, I can refret that Cimar I have, followed by getting a membership for the courses and I will probably start with a Les Paul style design.

I can give an update when the work area is setup!

Many thanks

Sean

tv1, mattbeels, Tej and 13 people reacted
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Welcome Sean! £20 guitars are great for starting on but I highly recommend building from scratch - in some ways it is easier than repairing...and you'll learn so much. I am biased obviously ...

Measure twice, cut once...

Rathius, tv1, mattbeels and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@seanf

Welcome to the forum. Repairs are much harder than building from new, especially on cheap factory instruments. Often they use glue that can’t be taken apart so te whole thing breaks. Where are you getting fret wire from.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, mattbeels, Tej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
SeanF
(@seanf)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  

@markbailey I am quickly weighing on the side of just starting one from scratch, I might give the fretting a go and see how I get on until I have the rest of the tools! 

tv1, mattbeels, Tej and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
SeanF
(@seanf)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 I bought some fret wire a few months ago just off amazon before I had done much research into the subject, I have Dunlop accu-fret jumbo size. I am unsure whether I will still use those as I am unsure they are right for the guitar.

Thanks for the warning about cheap guitars and the probability that they may break up! I will try and be careful once I get round to trying it 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@seanf

If you have any repairs to your old guitar other than fretting, which is covered in Marks course, post them on the forum first and you can get a few opinions on the best way to proceed.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
SeanF
(@seanf)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 brilliant! I certainly will if I find any more issues with it 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

Welcome @seanf. You're going to love it. 

🙂🎸🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@seanf Welcome to you Sean. Whatever you decide to do first, you will find help here. 

As far as a bench goes, I used two trestle type things and a big sheet of MDF for my first work bench (see pictures). It’s fairly inexpensive but can be a little wobbly sometimes. When I knew I was going to continue making guitars, I constructed something more solid to work on but the trestle table is adequate to start with. As you can see, there was enough room to work on my guitar and to accommodate bench tools etc when needed. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-TB01-Portable-Workbench-100/dp/B000LFVGW0/ref=psdc_10257119031_t2_B0001GS0FU

Again, welcome to your new addiction, I mean hobby. 🤣👍🎸 

Boo. 

2B28D137 A0AB 4F7F 863D 44D6DA4FB111
1C3829E2 E28B 4C4B 9912 4119EF06F438
04577CF3 89BE 4CF6 AFE6 F1AA2658C414

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

Posted by: @boo

but the trestle table is adequate to start with.

I can confirm. I still use mine , as I dont have anything else at the moment. I only use our heavy garden table ( heavy stone surface ) when I am carving the neck, as it is very sturdy and does not wobble, but all the rest is done on the small workmate bench.

ReplyQuote
SeanF
(@seanf)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  

@boo

Thanks for the great suggestion, I have one of those, but didn't even think about getting another one and making a table out of it, that will certainly be much more of a quicker start up for the bench side of life! Thank you for the pictures as well!

@koendb

Great to know it does the job for a long while! I will need something that won't wobble when I get that far 🙂

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

I’ve been using a Blacker and Decker workbench since 1982 and bought a second one a few years ago in a sale but I do find I get back pain now so I tend to work standing up using a T board held in a bench vice that 

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

That gives me a better working height

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@seanf For what it’s worth I did all my carving with the wood clamped to a workmate bench, well, a cheap copy from Wickes and it’s been fine. Obviously more space and a beautifully arranged workshop would be preferable but don’t let that hold you up. As you’ll see Mark’s course is broken into very discrete parts so you build up tools as you go based on what you need for the next part. If there are tools you’re looking to find and can’t decide which is most suitable then post questions as most of us will have some experience or recommendations to share.

Welcome 😛

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
SeanF
(@seanf)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 , @tej Thank you for your insight! I certainly will keep in mind to ask questions when they come up around tools also.

Luckily I have sourced someone with a Router I can borrow initially, and as of this morning sourced a woodworking bench I can have once I can cleared and cleaned the space for it to go in.

Hopefully within the next month or two I can get the blanks and hardware ordered and start the course / my first build 🙂

tv1, mattbeels, Rocknroller912 and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@seanf Just to give you another bench idea or two. 

In my garage/workshop I took an old pallet, screwed some legs to it with strengthening braces and put a big piece of MDF on top. This was all scrap wood I had lying around or acquired, don’t buy anything if you can reuse existing stuff. 

*Disclaimer* This work area is not a good, clear example of what a safe work environment should be like, it’s a bit messy. 😂

E54D2992 DF54 4DD0 AD8D 2056A9E9FC12
61CA46F0 0A48 402D B985 6993F7ABC236

tv1, mattbeels, Rocknroller912 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@seanf 
I also converted the box room in the house into a small indoor workshop, it’s great in the winter. I stripped the room of everything, decorated and used the top off an old wardrobe to make a work bench. I screwed some battens on to the walls and some diagonal braces to hold the top firm, it’s a solid work bench now. Once everything was in there, the floor space was left free for a carpet to be fitted.  *work areas soon get messy though 😂 

8E6D03A0 F24A 45F6 99E5 DDEA981B7436
3708C5EC C224 4F6D BC96 6DF2DE461CF6
BEDAF6FA DCA5 490C A730 FF7A00F4C593
707C840C 3E94 4989 A0CF 471A05CCCC6C
46827754 76A9 493D 9460 91FEB1032535
1AD77FFB 7B90 4C71 A360 6C4E3987CA3C

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@seanf I later added a small bench vice that just clamps on; it can easily be taken off for times when it’s in the way. It was cheap and good quality from a good quality vendor, I use them a lot. 

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-vices-woodworkers-vice-with-table-clamp-150mm-106345

3F82DEFE B56C 4EC3 BF5C 56DD1FFC19C7
C546A4F3 73AD 4270 A47C D6BCDFCE8A03
185440C4 577E 4F73 B1F7 080102D175B9

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
SeanF
(@seanf)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  

@boo Great Ideas! I am certainly excited for the setup to come together,  and I know someone who has stacks of pallets, so will be giving them a friendly visit 🙂

It would be great to do an indoor setup also, but I think I won't get away with that one! I was wondering how will it be in the winter time for doing projects in the garage as it is just single skin. I may just have to layer up if I am full steam ahead on a project!

A removable vice is certainly something I will aim for! Thank you for the link!

This post was modified 2 years ago by SeanF

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Posted by: @seanf

I was wondering how will it be in the winter time for doing projects in the garage as it is just single skin. I may just have to layer up if I am full steam ahead on a project!

@seanf Yeah it’s not good working conditions in winter, it’s too cold really. It’s not good to work in the cold, not just because it’s unpleasant, but it’s not good for the guitar woods. I usually go into the outside workshop to do all the major and messy cutting/routing etc and then come inside as soon as I can to continue on the project. 
Our little box room was one of those dead ares in the house that wasn't really properly utilised so it was a good thing. Use your household/relationship political skills to negotiate something similar. It may mean you have to do a lot of those DIY jobs that have been on “the list” forever but it may get you what you want. It also doubles up as a DIY station, where you can manufacture bits for the house repairs your significant other always wanted. 😉👍

Koendb, tv1, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: